Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 12, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Eurotunnel - just turn up?

Is it possible to just turn up at Folkestone/Calais and purchase a ticket to cross on the next available train via Eurotunnel? I suspect it depends on availability on the day, but wondered if anyone had ever tried.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 12, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
florida2010
Imagineer

florida2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 177
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yes you can do this but it will probably cost a lot more. Think in the same terms of turning up at an airport or train station and asking to buy a ticket for the next available flight or train - not the best idea.

I've just booked our Eurotunnel crossing for July and half of the trains for the whole day are sold out. If you book online the closer to the date of crossing the price goes up. Any peak times or days and you tend to find the most appropriate/convenient crossing times sell out. However that said they do run loads of trains per day so if you plan on travelling at inconvenient times you will probably get on OK i.e. first thing in the morning (6am) or last thing at night (11pm) however if you pay at the gate you are not going to get the best price.

I'd recommend checking out the Eurotunnel site for your dates and see how busy it looks. Personally I'd always pre-book. Works out extremely well - if you register your car the gates read your number plates and its almost a straight drive on.

Hope you get sorted.
| First Disney Cruise & Beach Club August 2015 | Cane Island July 2016 & Dream Cruise
florida2010 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 12, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

As OP has said yes you can if there is space, but you will pay so much more than pre-booking. I've just done a quick check for today and one way its £147, but if you book today for tomorrow it goes as low as £75, pre-booking longer in advance you could get it for £49 one way

If you book via the eurotunnel website if you have to change your date you can and there is no charge as long as the ticket price is the same as the original date, if its not you just have to pay the difference.

Would really recommend that you do pre-book if that is at all possible, but as you are asking the question i guess that's not possible, if its not then avoid peak times.

You could do a quick check before you leave for the terminal to see what availability there is for that day. The quick check I did for today shows that all timing block have something available, but then again its not a peak period.
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 12, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post

We've always pre-booked, booked our october trip for £44 each way (short stay saver as only 4nights away), more than 4nights and I think it's £49 each way.
The fares do go up a lot and you risk not getting on at all unless you are travelling at a quiet time, if you've pre-booked hotels then that could mean you lose out on your hotels.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 12, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread