Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 13 Aug 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bernie1969
First POST

Mobile Fibromyalgia

Hi was wondering if anyone could help. I suffer with fibromyalgia and nearly always in pain is this classed as a disability in the parks.
I have trouble standing up for a length of time.
Also hire rates for scooter while I’m in the parks .
Bernie1969 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I have it I'm always better the Florida Climate
Unfortunately a issue like ours due to a total abuse of the system now
In my case anyway if I'm having a flare it's a scooter or chair
I've used DAS 3 times but that's when I've been in a recovery phase of Lupus related issues ( TMIF warning ) from bladder bowel and space awareness problems
I've always found Disney the hardest to work round my issues
Universal no problems Sea World andBusch maybe becUse we are AP holders I get at theTrn stile when they scan My pass now Helen wat do
You need today
I do have my own wheel chair but for a EVC we use Randys deliverect the villa just after we arrive or by 8am first morning pickedup y 10 on the day we leave even brought out a replacement when we had an issue in Busch 1/30 mins after we phoned them
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 04:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi Bernie, you should have no problems getting a DAS pass in the parks just go to Guest Relations and explain the problems you have standing and queuing.
If you have your own scooter that you use in the UK you can take this with you on the plane for free, just talk to your airlines special assistance team.
Hiring scooters or ECV;s as they call them in America at the parks themselves costs around $40 -50 a day now which soon mounts up and no guarantees one will be available when you need it. The ones the parks use are also very large and not so easy to manouvere.
Other companies such as Buena Vista Scooter Hire, Randy's, Walkers, and Apple Scooters do hire a variety of different scooters including the more lightweight/portable ones which you can break down and stow in your car boot if you are also hiring a car - handy if you want to use these elsewhere like shopping malls etc during your holiday. Prices do vary so shop around to get the best deal you can but most of these companies still work out cheaper than hiring from the parks. Some of these companies can come into the parks if you breakdown, while with others you have to get back to the park entrance before they can help. Most will deliver to your hotel or villa and collect again at the end of the holiday.
Hope this helps. Best wishes
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Hi - if you're planning to hire for the whole of your holiday there is a sticky at the top of the forum that gives lots of companies you can hire from:
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=89582

I've used Gold Mobility the last couple of years and their prices have been very competitive. They're customer service is very good (the charge against my credit card came from a completely different company and when I emailed to check, they called me back several times while they were sorting the issue with their credit people) and they were prompt when delivering/collecting.

I think, however, that if you are staying on site that you have to use a Disney approved supplier? I've never stayed on site so I'm sure someone else will be a long to confirm/deny...

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I don’t know much about it but we noticed lots of Buena Vista rental scooters and a van picking up/ delivering to our resort most days
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Hi Bernie, I've got fibromyalgia and ME and have had mixed results with the parks re DAS. Last year at Universal they refused me one despite me telling them what I had, and this year at Busch Gardens they gave me one straight away, which was a card with a return time on it.
Regarding Scooters, if we're mainly doing the parks in a Orlando we hire from someone like Randy's, Apple or Walkermobility as they're far cheaper than hiring in the parks and will drop off/collect from your hotel or villa. Otherwise we just take my wheelchair and stagger the days with pool days.

Edited at 11:09 PM.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi, this link gives a very detailed explanation about the AAP and GAP passes at Universal undercovertourist/bl...sistance-pass/

In my experience you do have to give quite a lot of detail at Universal about the exact nature of the problems you would have when queuing rather than the name/s of your conditions. But if you do have any medical evidence as well to back up what you say this also helps.

If you are refused a pass I would ask to speak to a Supervisor or Manager or try at another Guest Relations or return in an hour or so and see if you get another staff member who may be more sympathetic , there is a GR booth outside the parks in City Walk near the cinema as well, although they mainly deal with dining reservations.

I am sad to say that I once saw a woman who was tetraplegic refused a pass at Universal because she was able to get about on her prosthetic legs, and was reasonably able to manage with her prosthetic arm - I was appalled but again she didn't explain very well what it cost her to do so and the pain and extreme discomfort the rubbing of the prosthetics on her stumps in the heat caused. They simply saw that she walked into Guest Services and queued up to see them!

Sadly UO is now a no go area for so many disabled guests. MY DH and I used to be annual passholders, but because we both now have to use our own ECV's to get around, while we are able to transfer to manual wheelchairs at the rides as the instructions explain you have to, because we are unable to propel ourselves and have no one with us who can push us we are unable to ride.

Much as we still love the atmosphere of the parks the only ride we can do now is the Harry Potter train between the two parks, where we can stay on the ECV's and we simply can't justify the expense to only ride one ride. We have taken this up with UO management but there is nothing they can do to help us, we think the instructions need changing to say you have to be able to transfer and propel yourself or have soeone in your party who can propel you.

It just rubs salt in the wound that UO keep sending us e-mails saying we miss you do you miss us - yes we do but UO have stopped us from coming not us.

Anyway good luck and I hope you get on ok.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I have fibro and I find my symptoms tend to improve while in florida though I do have to take it easy lots of rest breaks on park days and stagger park days with rest days. The heat can be really draining. I have had days when I've had to change our plans because of my symptoms but fortunately I have never suffered a major flare while we've been on holiday so I haven't needed to use an evc or wheelchair and I've managed by just using fastpasses. I don't do any of the bigger rides so use that time to rest while the others ride.

Ds qualified for a das pass last time and the main benefit of a das pass is it allows you to get a return for a ride that might be fully booked for fastpasses as you still had to queue via the fastpass lane on return.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List