Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Aug 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

Broke arm in April, problems still. Advice please.

In April I fell backwards and broke my radius, close to the wrist joint. There were some small fragments fell of the bone at the same time, but not large enough to warrant surgery ( the doctor said that there would be more screws and pins than bone).
After they removed the cast at six weeks I couldn’t move my fingers, bend my wrist or move the hand much at all.
I have done the Physio exercises given often and properly.
I find that I still cannot bend my fingers, the wrist is stiff and painful and I have limited strength.
My hand is also still swollen and painful.

Mornings are the worst, the hand goes back to stiff and unmovable, then I spend the day getting it moving again!

Does anyone know if this is normal? I am 58, which I know can be a reason for lack of healing.
I’m really fed up, if it doesn’t improve I won’t be able to roller coaster again!

On the plus side, Hubby has learnt to cook!

Edited at 07:00 PM.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd make an appointment to see your gp to be on the safe side. That doesn't sound right. I broke my wrist and was in plaster 6 weeks. Did the physio and after another month it's like it never happened.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I second the above go and speak to the GP after 6 weeks I would be expecting you to have more or less full movement.
Old 15 Aug 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

You could ask your GP for a referral to a hand therapist
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the replies, never having broken anything before I am unsure what to expect.

I have booked an appointment with a GP for tomorrow. I also have another appointment with the hand clinic but when I saw them four weeks ago they were not much help!
I am going to push for more help.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just taken my son for an MRI with dye injected into the wrist
He’s only 16 so no pain or stiffness but his little bone ( ulna is it ? ) “clicks “ out of place near the wrist even though it’s the larger he broke and has weakness when lifting
The consultant said that surgery may be required as the tensions and cartilage are complex
He may wrap a tendon to tighten things up
I think historically wrists are never right but yours sounds like it needs looking at
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

I saw the doctor today, not a lot of help! She confessed to having no knowledge of bone breaks or subsequent treatment/ healing rates!

So I am going to wait to see the hand clinic next month.

Having read as much as I can find, I think I might need surgery.
Old 17 Aug 19, 04:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Could you ring the fracture clinic which treated you? I wouldn't want to be waiting too long.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

Good idea, I will give them a call on Monday.
Thanks
Old 17 Aug 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Could you see a physio? I had the same sort of problems when I broke my foot. In a boot for 6 weeks but still swollen and sore about 2 months after. Like you I had chips floating about😩 The physio massaged it quite intensely (in other words it hurt) but after 3or 4 sessions it was so much better. I was told it was scar tissue that needed broken down. Strangely enough I had the same type of thing after shoulder surgery🥴 Hope you can get it sorted xx
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List