Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Kenwood Travel
Unread 16 Aug 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Crocodilosaurus
Looking for my Ears

Mobile August vs May

I've been to WDW for two weeks in May, the weather was great, sunny most days all day, the occasional thunder storm. Crowds pretty good, busy but not oppressive.

Now I have kids, the second half of August looks like the time I'll need to go due to school holidays. However, I've been looking at the weather every day in Orlando and most days the rain seems to start mid morning and goes on all day! Do the water parks close during thunder storms? Do rides/water parks close during heavy rain? Presumably it must still be fun otherwise people wouldn't book...just wondering if you're ever stuck in your room for the day.
Crocodilosaurus is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Its rained everyday so far this August - I would stick to May if you have a choice.

Thunder storms usually close the rides. Hotel pools and the water parks are also affected
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 16 Aug 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
0420wilmut
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We said last year that we wont be going again in either July or August. The humidity was a killer and the rain in the afternoon very often ruined pool time. Hence were not planning to go til youngest ds has finished his gcses In 2020. Will fly out strainght after that.
Aug 2016 CBR, RPR & Villa
Aug 2018 POR, RPR & Villa (16 nights) - 50th Celebration!
0420wilmut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
HAVING A BREAK
Unread 16 Aug 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We went last May though and it pretty much rained all day most days as well, and when it wasnt raining, it was overcast so its hit and miss really. Generally, they say May is meant to be ok, and we have booked for next May and hoping it was a one off!
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Eeeeekkkk
Unread 16 Aug 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellabella
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Weve been twice last 2 weeks in August and twice end of May/beginning of June and we found to have less rain in the August hols. Going again this Aug.
We also find it less busy than May/june
Cinderellabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 17 Aug 19, 04:23 AM  
Link to this Post
jfk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Here now and the weather has been pretty pants. Rained at some point every day as expected but it's been overcast pretty much every afternoon. We've barely seen any sun in the afternoon since Sunday.
Having done May in the past and done August 3 times, May every time if weather is a priority.
New York/Villa Highgrove Aug 15
Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 19
jfk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Doing it on the cheap(ish)
Unread 17 Aug 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
fuses04
New Poster (2)

I have been in August and May and would go at both time again

August weather is tropical, very hot and humid, with rain/storms most afternoons/evening but not all day. Water parks will close at such times because water and lighting do not go well together!

May still very warm but far less humid. One trip there ahd been no rain in May until the day we arrived. It then rianed solid for the next 7 days, whereby it was then the wetest May on record with almost 15inches of rain, 2009. Fortunateey we had a three week trip.

Personally if I had a choice I would choose May over August everytime, howvere if I didn't have a choice I would still go in August. We are staying at OKW in May next year.
fuses04 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Serious Dibber

We have been in August 9 times in the last 11 years - yes it is humid and it rains pretty regularly but I can only remember about two days in total that were spoilt by the weather.

Generally it rains for an hour or so with a thunderstorm - pools close and outdoor rides close due to lightning. At this point we would go on indoor attractions or have something to eat.

Busch Gardens is the worst if it chucks it down for a while - most of the rides are outdoors and if you are staying in Orlando it is a bit of a trek to go back to your hotel. They do have animals to look at though.

There has never been a year where we have thought about not going again in August. Always had a great time overall.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
US Rent A Car