Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jul 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We visit 3-4 times a year.
On our last 4 visits (May ‘18, Sept ‘18, Dec ‘18, May ‘19), it was apparent how many more stores were C & P on each visit.

In May ‘19, we used our Clarity every day multiple times a day; I would estimate 100’s of transactions from larger purchases (clothes shopping, gas etc) to much smaller purchases (2 WaWa coffees etc).

C & P on almost all; probably no more than 10 or so where the store didn’t yet have the facility & we had to swipe.

If the store had C & P, there was no option but to use that, ie, if we swiped in error, the cashier would tell us that the swipe wouldn't work & was rejected as their machine had picked up that our card had a chip & we had to use that method. However, our cards were never ‘locked’ after these.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Been using our HC cards in SW Fl for years, Domino's Pizza is the only decline but didn't lock the card. By choice I don't use contactless, with some, Dollar Tree for example, I insert the card, never swipe, it doesn't pin request, there's never been an issue.

I was ticked with a shop assistant who, after being advised I needed her reader to enter my pin, promptly ignored me, and over-rode pin request... declined. I advised she couldn't over-ride UK cc pin request, 'oh, we can with a US card' she quipped (smart move, not), purchase approved second time. This woman had no interest if it was my card, no signature check yet happily tapped the reader to pin bypass! One word luv, fraud!

Another Dibber is having HC issues, they noticed HC updated their faqs stating only US registered cards may now be used, all others should use Apple Pay or Paypal, yet I've bought items using my HC when in Fl, and the UK, and whilst I input my UK address, delivery is to my Bokeelia neighbour. Most recently; used HC 7th and 19th July. Dawgs delivery to Bokeelia neighbour, Walmart item, picked up 27th July.
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am American and I am surprised how many places still do not have a chip reader (including my bank). I p[robbably swipe about 10 percent of my purchases.

I use my debit card almost exclusively and if I press debit on the machine, I enter my pin. If I press credit or the cashier enters it as credit, no pin is required.

The issue may not be your bank or card but the fact that the change over to chip has been slow here and a new card reader can be expensive for a small business. My guess is that Disney has not upgrades many of their terminals.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

I've noticed lots and lots of you guys state you have had no issues. Can you state if you had any in any Disney parks. I have been flat out told that there's no chip and pin in AK today. If the queue at guest relations wasn't so long I would have queried it there and then.
Bobby_1970 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Seems more the restaurant that swipe whereby the shops chip and pin , we use our suntrust card more and it’s the same re restaurants they seem to swipe , shops chip and pin

Ours had been ok and had it now for 3 years

Probably jinxed us now 😱

Saratoska is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970

Mobile

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
Seems more the restaurant that swipe whereby the shops chip and pin , we use our suntrust card more and it’s the same re restaurants they seem to swipe , shops chip and pin

Ours had been ok and had it now for 3 years

Probably jinxed us now 😱
Shops in the Disney Parks?

We did some shopping at an outlet yesterday. All chip an pin. No issues.

It's the Disney parks I have been told don't do chip and pin.

I am going to ask at guest relations at Hollywood studios tomorrow I think.
Bobby_1970 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bobby_1970 View Post

Sure it was chip and pin at Disney springs marvel shop

However it wasn’t in wolf gang pucks last night , for the cost of the meal thought our card might have froze in horror ! will miss this restaurant next time

Saratoska is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
W3LUM
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bobby_1970 View Post

Never seen chip and pin at Disney. I have my Clarity card on my Apple Pay and used it at the parks.
99 All star mu Apr02 Residence Inn Seaworld Dec02 All Star sp Port Orleans Apr04 Sheraton Villages Disney Magic Tradewinds St Petes Sep05 Sheraton Villages~Dolphin Dec07 Sheraton Safari Villages Disney Magic Sheraton Villages Apr08 Sheraton Villages Disney Magic Dec09 Sheraton Villages Coronado Springs Mar10 Sheraton Villages Disney Magic transatlantic May11 Disney Magic Alaska Dec11 Villages Disney Dream Dec12 Disney's Vero Beach Villages Disney Fantasy Dec13 Villages Disney Fantasy
W3LUM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
Sure it was chip and pin at Disney springs marvel shop
So not a park then. :-)

Edited at 11:50 PM.
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I am American and I am surprised how many places still do not have a chip reader (including my bank). I p[robbably swipe about 10 percent of my purchases.

I use my debit card almost exclusively and if I press debit on the machine, I enter my pin. If I press credit or the cashier enters it as credit, no pin is required.

The issue may not be your bank or card but the fact that the change over to chip has been slow here and a new card reader can be expensive for a small business. My guess is that Disney has not upgrades many of their terminals.
Hi RM - as the UK introduced chip and pin in 2004 it also surprises me how slow the US were to follow suit, continues to amaze me that as some can over-ride pin request