Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 11 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Theme park protocol / hospital help?

Hey all, I’m hoping someone can give some advice.

I’m taking my 2 kids (who will be 11 & 10) & my brother who will be 22 & has autism, global development delay & epilepsy on our upcoming trip on my own. My brother’s seizures have increased over the last few yrs but are still generally only once every few months thank god (though are more frequent on occasion), however he had a mild one today (by mild I mean he didn’t need his rescue medication) & it got me thinking; what’s the protocol if he was to have a seizure in the parks?

Being on my own means if the theme park (we’re doing Disney & Universal) insisted on him being transported to hospital to be checked over things could get complicated pretty fast as I doubt there would be room in ambulance for him, me, both kids & EMT’s however I couldn’t leave the kids on their own or travel separately to my brother as although he’s 22 mentally he’s still a child & would freak if he was to come round without me there nor would he be able to give valid answers if the EMT’s were to ask him questions.

The whole situation is very unlikely to happen BUT as this is the first time I’m taking all 3 on my own & after him having one today I’m now really stressing over it! Any help would be fantastic!😫
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

So much to worry about, sounds a difficult situation to manage. I would get as much medical info that might be nee ded in case he were to have a seizure that could go with him and you could follow with kids in a taxi. Look out for the first aid centres in parks so you know where you can get immediate help and rest if needed. Inform the insurance company just to keep them up to date. seizures are so difficult to predict anyway, hopefully this last one was a one off. I hope that you have a trouble free trip. X
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

My daughter has non epileptic seizures and has had a couple in Disney. She can feel them coming so can always sit on a bench and then lie down rather than collapsing on the ground. Cast members have asked if we needed help but not insisted on calling for paramedics when I explain we don't need it. How likely is your brother to need an ambulance if he does have a seizure? I can't offer you too much advice but Bootrip2's suggestion of following in a taxi might be your best plan. Disney will do all they can to help you and will definitely make sure you get to the hospital ASAP.

Does your brother wear a medic alert bracelet? My daughter finds it very reassuring to have a bracelet that explains her autism, selective mutism and the Functional Neurological Disorder that causes her seizures. Many people with FND have one to make it clear they DON'T need an ER trip for every seizure.
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Does your brother wear a medical alert bracelet? You could pack his travel insurance details, a brief medical history and your contact details in a small backpack or bumbag and make sure he wears it, just in case you have to take separate transport. He might feel unhappy being “labelled” as disabled whilst on holiday but it might give you some peace of mind.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
So much to worry about, sounds a difficult situation to manage. I would get as much medical info that might be nee ded in case he were to have a seizure that could go with him and you could follow with kids in a taxi. Look out for the first aid centres in parks so you know where you can get immediate help and rest if needed. Inform the insurance company just to keep them up to date. seizures are so difficult to predict anyway, hopefully this last one was a one off. I hope that you have a trouble free trip. X
Thanks hun. I plan to ring the insurance company tomorrow to update them & have a doctors letter already stating all his disabilities & medication so I’m hoping that will help. I currently have family members trying to talk me out of talking him but as his sister & his carer I feel like absolute *poo* for even considering it when he’s so excited to go😫
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
My daughter has non epileptic seizures and has had a couple in Disney. She can feel them coming so can always sit on a bench and then lie down rather than collapsing on the ground. Cast members have asked if we needed help but not insisted on calling for paramedics when I explain we don't need it. How likely is your brother to need an ambulance if he does have a seizure? I can't offer you too much advice but Bootrip2's suggestion of following in a taxi might be your best plan. Disney will do all they can to help you and will definitely make sure you get to the hospital ASAP.

Does your brother wear a medic alert bracelet? My daughter finds it very reassuring to have a bracelet that explains her autism, selective mutism and the Functional Neurological Disorder that causes her seizures. Many people with FND have one to make it clear they DON'T need an ER trip for every seizure.
I’d say 7/10 times he doesn’t need an ambulance but equally he can’t feel them coming on (& he has no known triggers) & will literally just fall to the floor with them if we can’t catch him in time & has on occasion smashed his head & caused himself a concussion, cuts etc. so I’m more concerned Disney/Universal will want him checked over properly more for their own insurance which I completely understand but as I said will make for a very complicated/stressful situation for us 😞
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
Does your brother wear a medical alert bracelet? You could pack his travel insurance details, a brief medical history and your contact details in a small backpack or bumbag and make sure he wears it, just in case you have to take separate transport. He might feel unhappy being “labelled” as disabled whilst on holiday but it might give you some peace of mind.
He doesn’t currently have a medic alert bracelet as he can’t stand the feel of them no matter what we do but he does have both a badge (that he wears on his backpack) & a lanyard nicely explaining his disabilities & the lanyard has my contact details on the back of which he likes to wear so I’ve brought extras of those for while we’re there so I’m hoping that will help
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppins73
A Guest at All-Stars

Does he or could he wear a hat/helmet in the parks to cushion any falls? It might give you some peace of mind but I appreciate he may not be comfortable doing so. Is there anyone you can convince to join you on holiday?
Poppins73 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
butterflymags
Excited about Disney

When my DS was 3 he fell and split his head open in Animal Kingdom and the staff were outstanding. I went in the ambulance with him but DH wanted to follow in the car so that we didn't have the hassle of no transport if DS had to stay in. The disney staff took my DH out through a back door (so to speak) to make it quicker to get to his car and he arrived at the hospital about 5 minutes after us. Obviously it will depend on what park you are in but I just wanted to let you know that the Disney staff will help you as much as they can to get there asap.
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by HappyThoughts View Post
Thanks hun. I plan to ring the insurance company tomorrow to update them & have a doctors letter already stating all his disabilities & medication so I’m hoping that will help. I currently have family members trying to talk me out of talking him but as his sister & his carer I feel like absolute *poo* for even considering it when he’s so excited to go😫
Bis there anyone else who could go with you?