Old 21 Dec 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Christmas Treasure Hunt over Zoom

We have done some family quiz nights over Zoom, but the little kids always get a bit bored with that and I was trying to think of a way to make them feel included. So, I'm going to come up with clues like...Look in the place where:
Your dirty washing goes
You get a drink
You lay your head at night to sleep
Your clean pyjamas are stored
Your toothbrush sits
Your trainers are kept

Granted they are hardly cryptic clues, but I've got a niece who's 2 and three nephews who are 5, 6 and 8 across two households. I need to come up with some other ideas for places for the clues to lead to.

I'm thinking I'll get my brothers to hide chocolates in all the locations I've come up with in my clues and then I can read the clues out over Zoom. Cue lots of children running excitedly around the house. I'll get my mum to play along so dad can run around as even though he's 70 he would want to play along with the 5 year olds!

Has anyone done a treasure hunt like this over Zoom? Or have any of you got any other ideas about how to have fun with little ones over Zoom? We've played hide and seek before and charades.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Inside school shoe / wellies / slippers (or dads wellies - that would cause issues to my girls ( stinky feet !).
dizzymcfarlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Great idea! I also thought I might include a booby prize like a sprout or something similar.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Where the cereal is kept?
Where spoons are kept?
In the piano stool if you have a piano
Inside a DVD case
Behind a photo
On the bookcases...

Great idea
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

At holiday parks they do quizzes for kids that involve them running round fetching items, they love that - maybe you could do something similar.
Fetch something you eat your food with (they collect an item of cutlery)
Basic items every house should have
The point goes to the one that gets back first with the item and additional points to something funny/original.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Some great ideas thank you. I can see this becoming a fixture of our zoom get togethers.

I found a website with clues for both indoor and outdoor treasure hunts. Here are some of them

I take your clothes for quite a spin, but first they get wet that's how I begin ... washing machine
I'm never wicked, but I do have a wick, I come in all sizes from skinny to thick ... candle

Anyway, that inspired me to write some of my own as I liked the wellies idea so I came up with

You'll need to wear these for a walk in the rain, so that jumping in puddles isn't a pain ... Wellington boots.

I can see this taking me ages to come up with clever clues and the kids will have solved them in less than 2 minutes. LOL. It's going to be fun seeing them run around though.

I think maybe I will move onto the scavenger hunt idea and then each household could work together to see who can get their haul first.

Thanks for the suggestions, more will be welcome if anyone has any other bright ideas.

Old 21 Dec 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Glad you liked the welly idea. My daughter did a similar thing but when the kids were out the room, their dad tied the final clue to the dogs collar. Can’t remember the rhyme but it was all the initials of the dogs name... ! No use of they haven’t got a dog mind you ...
dizzymcfarlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Another idea is that they have to produce something for you... it’s a race to be the first person show something sparkly, a rainbow, a pack of cards, a coffee cup, a torch... etc etc
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Sadly no dogs Dizzy, but that does sound fun.

I've prepped all 10 clues for the treasure hunt and we are doing thst Zoom call later today.

The ideas you guys shared did get me thinking that our next zoom can be a scavenger hunt. I used to go with my kids and mum for a short mid week caravan park break during the Easter holidays and you're right they did these fun scavenger hunts which my two used to enjoy.

I'm going to invent a 12 days of Christmas scavenger hunt along these sorts of lines...

On the first day of Christmas you all brought to me, your duvet from your bed upstairs,
On the second day of Christmas you all brought to me, two pot plants,
On the third day of Christmas you all brought to me, three toothbrushes,

And so on building up...their parents are going to love the tidying up at the end ah well.

Keep sharing your ideas as it was your suggestions about the scavenger hunt that made me think of doing the 12 days song, building up to lots of items.