Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 29 Apr 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

DCL Vs RCC

I know this comparison had been made many times and I've read so much my head is fried but please just put up with my rambling on.

I have one of the UK Disney cruises booked. We're 2 adults, a 15yr old and a will just have turned 11yr old. 4nights is coming in at a whopping £3800. Verandah stateroom which is a must have for us.

If we did a Royal Caribbean we could same sail date but 6 nights for £3100, add on a drinks package and dining, its basically a similar cost.

Head says RCC, heart says Disney.

There really does seem to be more for the kids to do on the RC ship, I'm a little worried the kids may get bored on DCL, something I never thought I'd say! But they're older and the offerings are limited.

What are the kids/teens clubs like with RC? And are activities onboard expensive?

Really not sure what to do for the best.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Weve only ever done RCC or Celebrity and travelled with our daughter- since she was about 9 on cruises. The teen clubs are great and she has made some great pals over the years- they do all sorts- mocktail classes, xbox's tournaments, pool parties, discos till the early hours- made their own pizzas, celebrity they even do camping on the lawn.

Weve only ever been on ships where the activities were included- ie flow rider which is great fun, mini golf, rock climbing, ice skating. I know on some of the bigger ships they have things like North star, escape rooms, laser tag- I think there is a charge but I'm not entirely sure what it is sorry.

Weve only good things to say about RCC, would definitely recommend.
disney_l81 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We love Disney but can’t bring ourselves to pay the amount for such a short cruise. We have booked the 8 night RCCL one on august 7th. We have been on the anthem and the magic and both are great ships and our son sailed on both as a teenager and also loved them both. We decided if we were going to pay DCL money again we would wait for a nice itinerary.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

I have done both, although my RCI sailing was Oasis. However it was amazing. Itinerary plays a big part, and our Med itinerary was far superior to the Caribbean itinerary we had with DCL.

Obviously DCL has better dining and shows. But RCI on the bigger ships will have a full west end production which will still be a good time. And the RCI ships are just fun. So much to do.

*Disclaimer that this was all prior to covid, so no guarantee that shows and some activities won't be drastically different.

Edited at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDose
Serious Dibber

I've cruised many times but I've never been on a Disney cruise because I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money Disney demand. I know that their food and shows are said to be the best, but I feel that their prices are extortionate. For example, their summer UK cruises are selling for £900 for 2 nights from Tilbury. Compare that to a recent booking I made for a Sky Princess seacation for 6 days with premium drinks, wifi and gratuities for £799pp. In terms of value for money, you simply cannot compare the two and Princess are no tin-hut cruise line.

From experience, RCCL are a great cruise line and their Oasis class ships are something to behold. However, comparing Disney with RCCL is like comparing apples and oranges. They're aimed at very different markets and there's clearly a jump in quality between the two. I think if you have kids and you can afford it, then Disney wins every time. But if you want the most bang for your buck and kids aren't travelling with you, go with RCCL.

Edited at 02:01 PM.
DisneyDose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

I had exactly the same dilemma. The night before last I was literally tossing and turning all night trying to make a decision.

4 nights on the magic was coming at just over £2800 for us in an inside cabin exc gratuities. I have kids of 4 and 6 who love Disney and, like all of us, I feel like they have missed out a lot in the last year or so.

I then priced up 6 nights on the Anthem on the same departure date.
I was hovering over the booking button at £3200 including gratuities for a balcony cabin. My wife then said she thought she’d seen a blue light discount. On ringing the price came down to £2700 so we snapped it up.

There is so much for the kids on the Anthem (rock climbing, rip cord, North Star, dodgems etc etc ). None of us really know what these cruises will look like but with only socially distant character meets and slightly better food I eventually swung towards Royal Caribbean. We haven’t been for about 8 years and love the oasis and allure. I’ve fancied the quantum class since they launched so I’m happy with our final decision.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by DisneyDose View Post
I've cruised many times but I've never been on a Disney cruise because I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money Disney demand. I know that their food and shows are said to be the best, but I feel that their prices are extortionate. For example, their summer UK cruises are selling for £900 for 2 nights from Tilbury. Compare that to a recent booking I made for a Sky Princess seacation for 6 days with premium drinks, wifi and gratuities for £799pp. In terms of value for money, you simply cannot compare the two and Princess are no tin-hut cruise line.

From experience, RCCL are a great cruise line and their Oasis class ships are something to behold. However, comparing Disney with RCCL is like comparing apples and oranges. They're aimed at very different markets and there's clearly a jump in quality between the two. I think if you have kids and you can afford it, then Disney wins every time. But if you want the most bang for your buck and kids aren't travelling with you, go with RCCL.
This does depend on the child! My son sailed with NCL, RCCl and Disney between ages 13 and 18 and had a blast on them all. He made friends which makes the cruise for him. I agree if you have very young children then disney is the best with regards to kids clubs and activities but older kids there is so much more to do on RCCL with the flo rider, sky diving, ice rinks, bumper cars etc.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Thank you all.

Depending on a flight refund coming through it looks likely we're going to keep our DCL booking for August but also book RC for a proper cruise next year or possibly October half term this year if things are going ahead then.

Oddly nervous to try another cruise line but worth it for the kids activities I think. Thanks again
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List