Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 2 May 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mkp1974
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
I presume it’s all to do with the companies insurance insisting on certain things.
The other side to look at is your young and free to do most things at leisure ( apart from cruise) Think of all the elderly that have been shut away by families and institutions for 15 months. Unable to cross the fresh hold. Locked behind a door.
That was until some of them threatened the government with court procedures regarding their human rights to live a life as others do. Hey presto from Tuesday they can go out..
Maybe the youth should consider the same action rather than gripe against their elders.
Completely disagree, the younger people have had their lives put on hold, in the main, to protect those elders. Those elders that are “locked away” are more likely to be in care and won’t be going on a cruise. The other elders that were starting to go out and about months ago now they are vaccinated, yet were still out shopping for non essentials during lockdown. It’s the younger people that will have to pay for the national debt for years to come, whilst the older generation live it up on their final salary pensions with their fingers stuck up to everyone else. Yet disney, generally for kids and families, will only allow the old generation and those that have health conditions on the cruise round the UK as they will largely be the only ones fully vaccinated before the autumn, I want to go, for a novelty, and get a Disney fix but like everything else, screwed again.
Mkp1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

If they didn't ask for vaccines they would be called wreckless and get slated, it's a no win situation. It's not just Disney either but all cruise lines I have considered booking with so far.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mkp1974
Helping Minnie

Thanks that’s interesting, I’d have hoped a recent negative test, plus a negative text on board would be sufficient. As we know just because you are vaccinated you can still carry the disease.
Mkp1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

We are vaccinated because of our jobs, not age or health. I'm sure there's many more families in the same situation.

The Disney cruises have sold really well but I do wonder how many will need to cancel at the 30 day mark due to not getting the vaccine in time.

I'm not saying I think it's fair but I understand their decision.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mkp1974 View Post
Isn’t this positive discrimination. Unless we are old, and/or are of ill health you won’t be able to go until the autumn, absolute disgrace.
Discrimination can be lawful if it’s justified - in this case, because the cruises are less likely to have problems with covid if all adults are fully vaccinated and test negative, while children are double-tested. I realise this could mean I’m denied boarding if any of us tests positive. I’d be heartbroken if that happens, and I’m not telling my children yet for that reason, but I won’t try to call it discrimination.

What are you defining as old, out of interest? My younger brother is mid-30s without ill health and will be fully vaccinated by early summer - I think he’s just lucky to live in an area that is getting through vaccines quickly. I really think it’s quite rude to call 30 year olds ‘old’.

(You can call me old if you want though - I certainly feel it most days! DH and I are both in our 40s and will be fully vaccinated by the time of the July cruises, so I’m guessing it’s more 40+ that you’d call old?)
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Completely disagree, the younger people have had their lives put on hold, in the main, to protect those elders. Those elders that are “locked away” are more likely to be in care and won’t be going on a cruise. The other elders that were starting to go out and about months ago now they are vaccinated, yet were still out shopping for non essentials during lockdown. It’s the younger people that will have to pay for the national debt for years to come, whilst the older generation live it up on their final salary pensions with their fingers stuck up to everyone else. Yet disney, generally for kids and families, will only allow the old generation and those that have health conditions on the cruise round the UK as they will largely be the only ones fully vaccinated before the autumn, I want to go, for a novelty, and get a Disney fix but like everything else, screwed again.
You make it sound like the older generation never contributed to the countries wealth or suffered from previous generations.
Remember they grew up in a world repaying for their elders involvement in world wars and financial depressions you may never experience.
Post world war 2 I'm sure was a much worse place than post covid that lasted 40 years or longer for some countries. I'm not sure this generations woes can be compared to those 70 and over and what they lived with.
Regarding their pensions they earned every penny of that. They had backbone and fought for every penny. I hope the youth of today do the same and demand good salaries the end of zero hour contracts and the right to s good pension. But it's upto you and your fellow age group. They did and so should you

Edited at 07:36 AM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
You make it sound like the older generation never contributed to the countries wealth or suffered from previous generations.
Remember they grew up in a world repaying for their elders involvement in world wars and financial depressions you may never experience.
Post world war 2 I'm sure was a much worse place than post covid that lasted 40 years or longer for some countries. I'm not sure this generations woes can be compared to those 70 and over and what they lived with.
Regarding their pensions they earned every penny of that. They had backbone and fought for every penny. I hope the youth of today do the same and demand good salaries the end of zero hour contracts and the right to s good pension. But it's upto you and your fellow age group. They did and so should you
I feel for you and I understand your disappointment in the rules, but Disney are a private company and are taking the least risky route, and are guided by the UK government rules they have agreed to. This is the trial to prove cruising can be safe again. I also know many have been disappointed and can’t go because of the pricing. Taking it to the level of who and why and when vaccinations have happened seems a bit unfair though, TBH. All our generations have to contribute going forward, and every age has had to contribute in the last year, despite the few bad apples who did not follow the rules.

So, we have both sides of your argument in my house. My husband is 58 and has low immune due to very strong medication for RA, so shielded for the full year bar the gap last summer for 8 weeks.
My son is 22, at a London Uni and has a tiny support grant which, when attending, just covers his fares as he lives at home. However he was supporting himself as he went to Uni late and was a fully trained Event Technician through an apprenticeshIp and had gone freelance. So no work or money available to him there for the whole year. He tried to get other work all through the year, but no luck. I am not moaning. My husband, luckily, was on standard pay when shielding, and I worked 60 hours a week in HR. All our staff took a pay cut to save the company. I have grappled with redundancies, the furlough scheme/claims and done the majority of the shopping one day a week, as I attended work for some days as I had to for the essential part of our business. I am tired, worn out and now have audit to to look forward, gotta love HMRC.
My son has happily protected my husband as they both went a bit mad at home, and he did a practical Uni course on line as much as he could, frustrating as hell. I have also kept an eye on him as he has been a dark places a few times before. I know our industry is going to take along time to recover and his ad hoc freelance work probably will not return until early next year. It was lovely for him to finally have two friends round in the garden last week for a chat, as we have. This small move has made us all so very happy, and lifted our spirits.

I guess I am trying to say that this has affected all of us, any age, and we all have ongoing disappointments as we move out of this terrible situation. Holidays cancelled, trips we want to do but can’t, waiting for the vaccinations; many must have lost loved ones and are grieving. But I still feel lucky that we are still here, well and have light at the end of the tunnel. Please try and hold on to that and look for the positive, we all still have a long road ahead.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
That’s rules us out too. There’s a possibility my eldest (23) will have had one jab but not two.
The younger one would turn 18 a few days before. That puts her in an impossible position.

I hadn’t even considered that so thank you for highlighting it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Isn’t this positive discrimination. Unless we are old, and/or are of ill health you won’t be able to go until the autumn, absolute disgrace.
As its a health issue then no it isn't. They are a private company and can insist on what the conditions of booking are as long as it applies to every one. Now it would be different if they said only those under a certain age or of a certain ethnic background only could book as they are subject to discrimination laws.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

Its a tough one to call, and I really feel for those on the wrong side of the criteria, its touch and go for the industry, and with governments (here and in US) being cautious on the restart it makes absolute sense to minimise risk to ensure these test cruises(because thats what they are) go like clockwork. We are only in this position due to our vaccination programme (for which we are all grateful). we were gutted when we could not book with other cruise lines as we were on the wrong side of the criteria, but count ourselves fortunate to be able to go.

Its also hard to blame the older/poorly people (our parents grandparents etc) for a situation they have had no control over. nor our frontline workers who have stepped up massively and at significant risk to themselves put us first.

heres to a brighter future where we can properly grieve for the family we have lost before their time( truly the hardest part for me), rebuild our economy, and enjoy our disney holidays like we used to
florida_noob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List