Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

November/December planning

Hey all

We have a few of these posts running now but as some time has past since our last Nov/Dec positivity post was active I was wondering if people could support with some planning ideas for Christmas in and out of the parks.

Just a bit of background - we are a family of 4 adults flying to New York for 4 nights, Orlando for 2 weeks (10 nights villa and 4 nights HR hotel), and then flying to Vegas via Atlanta for 4 nights. We will be celebrating my sons 18th whilst we are away.

I am really positive that the holiday will go ahead and getting more and more hopeful that masks will not be required.
Given this I am interested to know thoughts on possible events that may go ahead in all 3 locations to celebrate the Christmas period. Will I need to book anything (events or restaurants that fill up quickly etc). Do you have any must do's or top tips?
We are in Florida for thanksgiving - can you suggest a restaurant for this or is it likely they will not be open?
Old 3 May 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Ilovedisney
VIP Dibber

Hi, sorry cannot answer regarding places being open.
Just wanted to say hi and what a great holiday it sounds.
I did have dinner on thanksgiving in 2019 at the Italian restaurant on Boardwalk. It was lovely and then we had a stroll around the lake.
Ilovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bouncybeth79 View Post
Hey all

We have a few of these posts running now but as some time has past since our last Nov/Dec positivity post was active I was wondering if people could support with some planning ideas for Christmas in and out of the parks.

Just a bit of background - we are a family of 4 adults flying to New York for 4 nights, Orlando for 2 weeks (10 nights villa and 4 nights HR hotel), and then flying to Vegas via Atlanta for 4 nights. We will be celebrating my sons 18th whilst we are away.

I am really positive that the holiday will go ahead and getting more and more hopeful that masks will not be required.
Given this I am interested to know thoughts on possible events that may go ahead in all 3 locations to celebrate the Christmas period. Will I need to book anything (events or restaurants that fill up quickly etc). Do you have any must do's or top tips?
We are in Florida for thanksgiving - can you suggest a restaurant for this or is it likely they will not be open?

Not sure how it will influence where you chose to celebrate your sons 18th birthday but the legal drinking age is usually 21. Most restaurants are open on Thanksgiving but the most popular ones do fill up quickly so worth making a reservation at the restaurant of your choice. Do you have a budget for the Thanksgiving mealand any favourites for types of food as that may help Dibbers suggest places.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can only answer one question.

We've had a traditional turkey Thanksgiving dinner at Bob Evans in 2017, 2018 and 2109. What happened to 2020? We are however confident of repeating the experience next November.

Specifically the BE on 27 opposite Posner Park. Nothing fancy just good home cooking and you can add a slice of ham to it as well if you like. It was around $40 for two in 2019.

Mick
Old 3 May 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
Not sure how it will influence where you chose to celebrate your sons 18th birthday but the legal drinking age is usually 21. Most restaurants are open on Thanksgiving but the most popular ones do fill up quickly so worth making a reservation at the restaurant of your choice. Do you have a budget for the Thanksgiving mealand any favourites for types of food as that may help Dibbers suggest places.
Good point - no budget, he loves pasta and lasagne - we once went to a place in Tampa that did a 16 layer lasagne - he LOVED that!
Old 3 May 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ilovedisney View Post
Hi, sorry cannot answer regarding places being open.
Just wanted to say hi and what a great holiday it sounds.
I did have dinner on thanksgiving in 2019 at the Italian restaurant on Boardwalk. It was lovely and then we had a stroll around the lake.
Thanks, it is our 5th try at rebooking, every time we lost the holiday I rebooked with even more lol. My poor husband HATES flying and so is not looking forward to that bit - I've booked premium economy to try and ease the blow a bit
Old 4 May 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
Not sure how it will influence where you chose to celebrate your sons 18th birthday but the legal drinking age is usually 21.
The legal drinking age in all states is 21. Wisconsin does have some odd exceptions whereby anyone can drink as long as they are with a parent, guardian or spouse who is over 21 (the drink will be sold to the person of legal age, who can then furnish the minor with said drink). So I'm afraid the OP's son won't be getting an alcoholic drink - they are hot on ID over there. I'm in my 40's and clearly look well over 21, but still got ID'd back in late 2019.

It does sound like an amazing trip the OP has planned though. They'll be taking a good selection of clothes in their baggage though - NYC could be freezing cold & snowy. Florida could either be in the high teen / low 20 degrees C, or it could struggle to get into double figures. Vegas is a safe bet for warm weather though! I hope the holiday goes ahead as planned.

Edited at 01:00 PM.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bouncybeth79 View Post
Hey all

You're lucky you can get so much time off work!
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
MamatoFelix
VIP Dibber

We had Thanksgiving dinner at Trails End in Fort Wilderness in 2017 which was delicious, we love that restaurant.
California, Arizona and Nevada - 19
MamatoFelix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
The legal drinking age in all states is 21. Wisconsin does have some odd exceptions whereby anyone can drink as long as they are with a parent, guardian or spouse who is over 21 (the drink will be sold to the person of legal age, who can then furnish the minor with said drink). So I'm afraid the OP's son won't be getting an alcoholic drink - they are hot on ID over there. I'm in my 40's and clearly look well over 21, but still got ID'd back in late 2019.

It does sound like an amazing trip the OP has planned though. They'll be taking a good selection of clothes in their baggage though - NYC could be freezing cold & snowy. Florida could either be in the high teen / low 20 degrees C, or it could struggle to get into double figures. Vegas is a safe bet for warm weather though! I hope the holiday goes ahead as planned.
Thanks - luckily my son is not tempted by alcohol (at the moment! ) so not to concerned about him drinking - as long as I can then im happy

I have been thinking the same about the baggage - its the one thing im dreading the most - carting around several bags of clothing and extras for all types of weather!

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
You're lucky you can get so much time off work!
We are both very lucky in that im self employed so can manage my own leave, my husband works for a family run business who are very supportive and so dont mind.

Originally Posted by MamatoFelix View Post
We had Thanksgiving dinner at Trails End in Fort Wilderness in 2017 which was delicious, we love that restaurant.
Will look this one up thanks x