Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 May 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Deaf Awareness Week

Thought this was quite a good lesson for those that don't have any hearing issues.

The turning your back one drives me up the wall, particularly when you've just told that person that you're deaf/hard of hearing.
Old 6 May 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

My husband is profoundly deaf, we’re bsl signers in our house, my bug bear is when people talk and look down , or once they realise my husband is deaf they look at me and talk to me .

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post

Thought this was quite a good lesson for those that don't have any hearing issues.

The turning your back one drives me up the wall, particularly when you've just told that person that you're deaf/hard of hearing.
Thanks for this. Really helpful.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I'm actually thinking of 'trying' to learn BSL I know it must be difficult but it would be so worth it.
It was so lovely that the 'team' learnt before handing a Repair back to a deaf gentleman on The Repair Show.
Old 6 May 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
I'm actually thinking of 'trying' to learn BSL I know it must be difficult but it would be so worth it.
I'd love to learn too, but I know it'd go in one (deaf) ear and out the other. I just can't seem to retain stuff anymore, my memory has always been pretty pants but it's just gotten worse the last few years.
Old 7 May 21, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
I'd love to learn too, but I know it'd go in one (deaf) ear and out the other. I just can't seem to retain stuff anymore, my memory has always been pretty pants but it's just gotten worse the last few years.
Best thing I ever did , over 35 years ago I saw a mum and her daughter signing, and it amazed me , who would of thought that I would need it many many many years later when my husband lost his hearing .
I’ve been signing over 30 years now, it’s second nature to me. You do need to practise and keep it up , like any language , and it’s not something you can learn from a book .

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
It was so lovely that the 'team' learnt before handing a Repair back to a deaf gentleman on The Repair Show.
Even just learning the alphabet is helpful! It means you can spell things out. I'm level one BSL qualified. Id love to work my way up the levels but unfortunately courses are expensive

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SmilingSammie View Post
Even just learning the alphabet is helpful! It means you can spell things out. I'm level one BSL qualified. Id love to work my way up the levels but unfortunately courses are expensive
Keep,going , I qualified as an interpreter many years ago , and it’s taken me in along many paths , didn’t realise when I started my basic stage 1 where it would lead , I now work as a pc , and it mazes me how everybody just stops when I sign to people to watch some people think I’m a deaf police officier , I have to,explain I have been signing for a lot of years !
It’s an amazing language and to this day I still amaze myself in the fact I can talk fluently in the best Language ever.

Practise practise practise , and keep it up

Jules
Old 7 May 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

My 19 year old has a bilateral severe hearing loss, it’s a shame that deaf awareness isn’t taught/highlighted in schools and the workplace.
Old 7 May 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My auntie was completely deaf, she lost her hearing due to diabetes when she got pregnant with her son.
I am partially deaf. Although my husband says it’s selected hearing 😤
I can’t talk on mobiles and if there is background noise I can’t hear what people ate saying so rely on lip reading which is pretty difficult with face masks.
Certain frequencies go through me like whistling, it sounds actually painful in my ear. Very strange.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List