Old 28 Jan 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hubs thinks I'm being daft -am I?

Ok, we live on a Greek island-no direct flights to the uk in the winter only via Athens.
Aparently they've stopped some people from wuhan (sp?) At Athens airport.

I want to prep a bit, inhalers, anti-biotics, antibacterial gel/wash, gloves, masks, a bit of food and water.
All stuff that we'd eventually use anyway.

He thinks I'm over reacting, I dont think I am.
Were not on the mainland, if theres a ferry strike, supermarkets get low on food etc, if there's really bad weather we dont get deliveries.
We may not be a small island but things can go wrong quickly/easily.
Am I being daft?-im worried about this virus
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Bearing in mind you live on an island they are sensible things to have in stock anyway .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
If you will use them eventually anyway it makes sense to be prepared. Essential health items especially would be wise
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

A bit of both. Food and water, yes. Hand gel, why not, if only for hygiene reasons. But the other stuff no. Apparently face masks do next to nothing and I’m not sure what the inhaler would be of any use for.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
A bit of both. Food and water, yes. Hand gel, why not, if only for hygiene reasons. But the other stuff no. Apparently face masks do next to nothing and I’m not sure what the inhaler would be of any use for.
Inhalers because I have asthma
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I don’t know anyone here in the UK who has been stocking up on such things and over 1500 people have arrived into airports directly from Wuhan and probably many more indirectly.
The big difference is that in China it took a long time to identify the virus and consequently have a strategy to contain it. We now have the ‘heads up’ to monitor for arrivals who are infected and treat them accordingly. This isn’t always successful as people are asymptotic but can pass on the infection. Given the lock down in China - the longer it goes on, the less likely it will be that the virus will spread beyond its borders.
Also looking back to the doomsday scenario of SARS and ebola and what actually happened.
Personally, I think it is an over reaction - jmo.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Inhalers because I have asthma
In that case you need the inhaler anyway so as long as you’re going to use them before they go out of date then by all means. But if you get extra without requiring them, then it’s a waste. Gloves would be a bit pointless as well but you can always use them for doing gardening, dishes or oil changes I suppose.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Please don’t get/take antibiotics with a virus as this only contributes to antibiotic resistance. If you are poorly and think antibiotics would help, seek medical assistance first before self-prescribing.

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Mackenzies03 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mackenzies03 View Post
Please don’t get/take antibiotics with a virus as this only contributes to antibiotic resistance. If you are poorly and think antibiotics would help, seek medical assistance first before self-prescribing.
100% this, unless you have the ability to culture your own bacteria & find out what it's sensitive to, the only thing that comes out of self prescribing antibiotics is adding to Anti Microbial Resistance.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

No Rasmus you are prepping and planning so you are doing the sensible thing .
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List