Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 18 Dec 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Best before is a guideline and food will usually be ok well after this date. Use by is a tighter date, but even then many things will be ok for a day or two later. The gammon should be fine once cooked for a day or two after Boxing Day. Milk, cream and uncooked meat are the things I find that go off the quickest and usually aren’t any good after the use by date.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

The use by day is Boxing Day ?
And once its cooked it has another few days anyway
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Exactly! Would not risk it with cream, yogurt etc but everything else just gets the sniff test
Even cream and yoghurt can be fine if they’ve not been opened. I’m most careful with chicken and seafood and give it a sniff even before the use by date. I drive my family nuts, I have no regard for dates but we’re all still here 😂
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

With cream and yogurt I look for the raised lid... if it’s raised at all I throw it, if not it’s the sniff or taste test...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I used to work in the food industry and was told to be most careful with dairy products like yoghurt as their use by dates are pushed as far as possible.
I have eaten them a few days past though and still here!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Mobile

I too will eat things a bit past the use by date if it seems okay, however this is a totally different scenario.

What you’re saying is, you have meat that you want to cook on Christmas Eve, to eat on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but it goes out of date on Boxing Day, that’s perfectly fine.

Your use by date is the date you must cook it by, not the date you must eat it by. As long as you’ve cooked it before that date or on that date, it will be perfectly fine for a few days after that date. You could even freeze it and use it after Boxing Day if you wanted to...

Also if the use by date is Boxing Day, then you could also cook it and eat it on Boxing Day if you wanted to.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I wasn't destined to eat this bloody ham.
Just cooked it Nigella style in cola then basted in black treacle and baked. Left it on the worktop to cool ready for tomorrow and the dogs have just pulled it off and been chasing it around the kitchen floor. I don't know whether to laugh or cry and now both dogs are as sticky as hell!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Just cooked it Nigella style in cola then basted in black treacle and baked. Left it on the worktop to cool ready for tomorrow and the dogs have just pulled it off and been chasing it around the kitchen floor. I don't know whether to laugh or cry and now both dogs are as sticky as hell!
Oh ≈≈≈≈, I'm so sorry hunny, it was doomed from the start, just laugh 😂 I'm crying 😂 sorry xx
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Oh dear, sorry but this made me chuckle 😂😂
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Please don’t worry you bev100% fine cook it an injoy the meals
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List