Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 24 Jan 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Multi-stop trip around Cornwall/Devon areas - anyone done this?

We are from the North East but would love to visit the Cornwall/Devon areas (possibly this summer) and stop a night or two at each location.

2 adults, 1 dog!

Has anyone done this? Any advice regarding must-see places in that area?

We've only ever been to Bodmin, and that was only for a funeral, so we've got no idea where to see/avoid.
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I’m from just over the border in Devon, but honestly you can’t really go wrong. Depends what your interests are of course. There is The Eden project, Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tintagel, St Ives, Port Isaac, St Michaels Mount, Lands End. You can also go surfing or paddle boarding or just visit one or some of the lovely beaches and coves. Fish and chips by the seaside is a simple treat. Newquay is good for a wander round a tourist trap with lots of touristy shops and also has a zoo. I have probably missed out loads, but that just of the top of my head. There is also Adrenaline Quarry at Liskeard with a great inflatable adventure course, zip lining and go karts.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater

Edited at 06:01 PM.
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

All of the above we visited in October and have booked for end of March don't think it will happen though.

Bude, Mevagissey the list goes on we did visit Paignton Zoo and loved Brixham - fish and chips are amazing😋

You will not be disappointed.
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
We did a loop
Nether Stowey / Kilve
Watchet
Tintagel
Padstow
St Austell
Polperro
Dartmoor
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone! If anyone has dog friendly accommodation recommendations too please send them my way!
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Cornishfrogboy is a mine of info and I’m sure he will be able to give some great advice x
Old 28 Jan 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve done this before. We come from east anglia and did a night in Bristol, then travelled to Padstow, then St Michaels Mount, then St Austell, then Windsor on the way back. We surprisingly enjoyed the telegraph museum at porthcurno, and the brewery tour at st Austell. Was nonplussed about the Eden project but must people love it
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

We're from Yorkshire and we have 2 nights in London, 4 in Brixham and 7 in St Ives in the summer and we can't wait to explore. London was a last minute tag on at the start as I managed to get Hamilton tickets but apart from a few nights in Torquay 12 years ago we've not done Devon and Cornwall before and we are so excited.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We go to Devon most years, we stay in Goodrington, it’s beautiful and a good base for Paignton & Torquay for a more traditional seaside day, think Scarborough or Bridlington if you’re from the North East but warmer! A few miles the other way you’ve got Brixham and Dartmouth, I absolutely love them both, totally different feel at each but both worthy of a visit. We always go to both. Bigbury on Sea was also lovely, lots of history and a hotel on the island apparently frequented in the past by the famous, my kids also love the beach and cafe at Oddicombe beach with the cliff railway. Salcombe is very upmarket and picturesque with plenty of shops like Fowey but the guy who runs one of the sandwich bars at the front recognised our Yorkshire accents as he’s from Beverley, just down the road from us and gave the kids a free bag of pickles 🤢 We have days out in Cornwall so not quite a road trip but we’ve visited and loved Looe, Fowey, Polperro, all quite close to each other, we’ve popped into Plymouth and caught the Kingsand ferry, St Mawes was lovely and Porthcurno and the Minack theatre are not far from Lands End, we went early one morning and they were both eerily beautiful, we’ve also visited Newquay and Padstow on the same day and really enjoy the areas. It’s hard to go wrong really, so many beautiful towns and ports! You’ll never get them all in and do them justice but you can easily cluster a few together each day.
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

This should help you a bit with Cornwall (I rarely cross the border into Devon unless passing through).Others are better placed to assist you with that area.

General..

I have listed some suggestions that would be readily accessible for most and that in the main, have not already been mentioned by others. It is easy to say Tintagel, St Michaels, Steinville (Padstow) etc, but there are many equally good attractions that are much less well known.
I have lived in Cornwall for all of my life when not a services child or serviceman. I Policed the West Cornwall area for 22 years to retirement. These are the places that I take visitors to!

The Beaches are understandably all around the whole coast. Hayle Towans, all the way to Godrevy with its Island lighthouse is 4 miles long, great sand and you can even play football there in August. Be aware of Weaver Fish. I would ensure that you wear water shoes of some kind, I wear sub Aqua boots. Whilst it is not likely that you will tread on one, plenty do. There is a great pub for lunch and also access to the beach at Gwithian, if you Google Earth it.
Porthcurno, Kynance and many others are beautiful. I can give you lots more info, dependant on where you intend visiting.

ST IVES
St Ives is beautiful as you can go all around the edge of the Harbour. It is as you would imagine a seaside town. Best food? Pedn Olver, should money be no object. The Tate modern is worth a look. A lovely place for Fish and Chips by the Sea. It can get horrendously crowded and that is why I avoid it from April to September.

JAMAICA INN.
This is on the A30 near Bodmin and is well worth staying the night. It is atmospheric and the original part, great.

CAMBORNE, POOL AND REDRUTH.
Avoid. They eat their young there. We even had fingerprint forms at Camborne nick with 6 boxes for the fingers. There are no redeeming features whatever.

FALMOUTH
Falmouth (my home town) is good and with a spectacular harbour as well as an operational Dockyard. It has Pendennis Castle (English heritage), a great afternoon with jousting on some days... and fantastic views on the other days.

You can get a boat trip from the Prince of Wales pier to Truro and back, a great trip up the river with a talking commentary. You can also get a boat trip across the bay to St Mawes, (pretty little seaside village and a little exclusive).

You can visit the National Maritime Museum small boat collection where there is plenty of interactive stuff.
You can get Fish and chips at the Harbour Lights, regularly in the top ten chippies in the country and much better than nearby Rick Steins. Custom house quay is a good place to eat it and also has the Historic Chain Locker Pub.

You can visit Trago Mills (next to Harbour lights), think Arkwright in ‘are you being served’, but on a grand scale with a fantastic sea view tearoom on the top floor.

ST AUSTELL
Eden project is a great day out and very toddler accessible. Huge, impressive, plants now matured and with very good, reasonably priced organic food in the restaurant between the biomes. Don’t visit St Awful. It makes Camborne Pool Redruth look classy. Nearby Charlestown is pretty and interesting with its tall ships.

HERE ARE A FEW ABSOLUTE GEMS.
1. Minack theatre.. on a cliff at Porthcurno. Look at the most beautiful setting in the world as the sun sets and a play is enacted in front of you. Take a picnic hamper with you (and wine). If you fancy this, then you must book very, very early.

2. Wheal Geevor. A very well preserved mine and processing sheds. You can learn the whole story of tin mining in one hit. Levant is similar and nearby.

3. After (or before) Geevor, visit the Botallack Mines, probably one of the most iconic and well known heritage views in the country.. free.

4. Stay a night in Bodmin Jail (Hotel opens in February). A really spooky, atmospheric place. Worth a day trip if you don’t want the Hotel.

5. Bodmin Steam Railway. Well enacted 1950s Railway where you can have a meal on board (or not).

6. Bodmin military museum. Home of the Cornwall Light Infantry. A lot of Zulu and other war stuff in here .. plus the medals of the late Harry Patch. I would suggest you look at doing all of 4, 5 and 6 in a day.

7. Cornwall Aviation museum at Newquay St Mawgan. A really good, hands on type collection and well worth a visit.. Don’t expect Hendon or Duxford!

8. Tate Modern at St Ives. Can’t tell you what is in there as I am a Philistine. .. Arty stuff, Barbara Hepworth and things, I am told! Note how crowded the beach is.

9. A lunch at the Jamaica Inn at Bodmin Moor, either on the way in.. or out. Written about by Daphne Du Maurer. The real bit is in the middle, between the chimneys. The bit on the left is an extension. Behind are further rooms that can best be likened to a Premier Inn type area. A tourist trap.. but very famous.

10. A Concert at Eden project if you can get tickets (well in advance). A great backdrop and some top acts over the years.. even Oasis at their peak. I saw Blondie a couple of years back and hopefully Brian Adams this July.

11. Helston museum, odd weird and rustic should you be in the area.. and surprisingly big.. I believe it may be free.

12. Porthcurno beach.. as good as it gets and start point of the first transatlantic cable (Museum exists) laid by the SS Great Eastern.. free.

13. A walk on the lizard and taking in Kynance Cove... for free other than carparking. It really does look as good as in the picture.

14. The great flat lode circular walk. Awesome! Loads of mining history, all explained with ‘as was’ stainless steel plaques. The walk takes you onto the top of Carn Brea where the views are breathtaking.. and free.

15.I save the best for last... Kennal Vale Gunpowder Factory at Ponsanooth. The gunpowder from this site drove the mining industry and destroyed the French/Spanish Navies. This really is a little known gem of a place. Gladly, not too many people other than locals have ever heard of it.. and is free..

Nearer the time and with more info, I can give you much more detail, should you require it. I may even invite you to a cream tea in my garden... Cream first because I like to offend the other locals!

Edited at 01:30 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List