Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 28 Feb 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

You’ll probably find that everyone does their plans a little differently from each other.

For me, we took ours in 2019 when they were just shy of 5 and 3.5. We always have a rest day on the first day. Not entirely sure why, maybe to get with the times zone or whatever but we did it before the kids and did it with them. Both me and hubby feel we need it to not have to rush to go anywhere.

We didn’t do universal. We worked out the heights of the kids and there wasn’t that much that they could go on so we thought we would leave it for another trip.

We also tend to do lots of half days. We did a really long day to start with and then opted to come back to the parks more regularly but only either morning or nights. We went to most parks two to three times. I also used touringplans so that I got the most out of the time we had there and got most things done but we weren’t tiring the kids out too much.

The rest days are some of the best ones mine remember. They loved having a villa and regularly talk about how cool it was to play in the pool.
We also counted water parks as rest days but only stayed 2-3 hours.

If this having to book days in is still there I would book the whole two weeks as I suppose you could always not turn up if you needed a rest.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Could possibly be repeating here, but my two-penneth…

Rest Days - we've never done them in our visits, even when the little one was young (she was four on her first trip, then turned eight on her second trip). You can treat water parks as a rest-day in itself (I never manage much more than half a day, then bail out).

August - it's all we do nowadays, school hols requirements, and it's hot and draining. Early doors to the parks (like you've said) allow for a lunchtime or early afternoon retreat (just coinciding with the almost daily August t-storms) to chill and recharge (nap for the la'al ones?), for a second park or Springs or mall in the afternoon/evening.

Like the water parks, Discovery Cove is a rest day in itself also... but one where you really can stay all day. We loved it, did the dolphin swim when our tyke was seven (yours are too young for the full swim, but there may be "experiences" available).

I'd agree with Cornishfrogboy and others that Universal will potentially be a bit of a waste - there'll be the Dr Seuss stuff, but that's about it - the majority of it will be out of the kids' range, so unless you're considering single-riders for the thrill stuff (and here they do excel), I'm not so sure it's worth the spends?

For off-site, I'd echo the comments about a car. We did three onsite stays without one, but since rented even when staying on site (even if it's only part of the hols). For a villa? Yeah, car...

Your five year old is the perfect age for Bibbidi Bobbidy Boutique - we took our daughter at four, and then on her eighth birthday, followed by CRT for lunch (that was pushing the cusp methinks, but still loved it). If you do it, MK is a better option over Disney Springs.

The Park Reservations I think will be in flux... we've reserved all ours for this August (fingers crossed), but park-hopping is back now. If they're still about in '22, no harm reserving for your rest days, just don't turn up - not lost anything.

I'm sure however you plan it, you'll have an absolute ball (and be planning your next on the flight home!)

Edited at 03:35 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
phi2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We've been lucky enough to visit Orlando many times pre kids and now 3 times since our family grew.

I agree with lots of what pp have said. Especially about maybe skipping universal, with younger kids it's a lot of money and they can't do everything. We finally took our girls in 2019 and they had a blast but they were 10, 8, 5. Our youngest was not able to do everything but a lot. But any younger and we just didnt think there was enough to do. (ill be honest and say I was desperate to go, as hadn't been since Harry Potter had opened up and I love Harry Potter, but I just could justify the costs when the kids wouldn't get as much out of it).

I also agree with using andys discount car hire. He's been great with our bookings. And I've already booked for Aug 2022 with him, totally changeable or refundable if needed and no deposit. So highly recommend getting in early so you can then get the best price, if the price changes, just change your booking.

One other thing I did want to say, as not sure if I've picked up on it correctly or not, but you referred to putting in rest days as you struggle with your health too, not just for the kids resting needs, right?
My husband has chronic fatigue and the last two holidays we learnt a lot about pacing the holiday. For us, we did like you have suggested, mornings in the parks followed by a chill at the pool/accommodation in the avo, then potentially some fireworks and dinner in the evening, but within that we had to plan in rest days. Yes these rest days could be a water park day, but in general it was a chance to recharge the batteries and rest for the day. On the first 'ill' holiday we quickly learned that without the occasional day off my husband would crash and then the next few days would be a nightmare (we had been so used to doing all days full pre him getting ill that we didn't realise what it would do to him to push himself so much).
We also now use a mobility scooter for him, as it means he can do so much more. But it might be harder using one if you have a buggy to take for your little ones too, but it might help.

So I'd say, you know what your body can and can't do. If like my husband you need to forgo going out 1 day a week to rest up, then do it. But if you feel you don't need that then go with the flow.
Either way book in reservations for the parks and if you don't go it's not the end of the world.

Most importantly you will remember all the great stuff you did together as a family (not the stuff you missed). You will have an amazing holiday 👍
phi2012 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

We put days in our calendar as "R&R" - rest and recreation - so those days are days when if people want to rest at the villa they can, but also can do some small, less demanding stuff - for us that might be crazy golf, or driving round the estates to see the lights at Xmas, or something like the hot air balloon ride. Sometimes people go to the parks, but its up to them if they want to get up early, or make a later start and go for a few hours only.

As others have said waterparks can provide an chance to rest if someone wants to come along, but just spend most of the time on the lounger, but also resting in the villa can be nice as well.
Old 25 Mar 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegem
Serious Dibber

As mentioned above, consider just doing Disney and save yourself a fortune in park tickets. We have taken the kids twice now, had 14 day tickets both times and there still is loads we haven't experienced.

The first time our kids were 7 and almost 3. We did 10 days disney, 1 day Clearwater, 1 day Kennedy and 1 shopping day and we didn't feel like we had missed out on anything.

We went back two years later and did 3 days universal and 11 days disney, staying on site for both. I'm really pleased we left Universal until they were a bit older.

We also found that doing mornings in the parks the first week works really well because of the time difference. We were up and awake and rearing to go, but by the second week our body clocks had adjusted a bit and we changed tack. We would head to the parks in the afternoon, after a lazy morning by the pool and stay until the evening, incorporating the fireworks.

You will work it out and find what works well for your family, but I just wanted to let you know that you can have a fab time without buying loads of different park tickets. Especially when the kids are still young.
sparklegem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have a contrary view to rest days.. I don’t do them.

I note that you will have 2 children of young ages, as did we on our earlier trips. Tiredness did cause problems, but not insurmountable ones.

I also note that you have tickets in mind, certainly for Disney (14s? ) and also Discovery Cove. The Discovery Cove one is a really good call in your circumstances. Even if you have no intention of visiting a great favourite of ours (Busch ), another good call. That ticket and I suggest a non Dolphin Swim ultimate, comes with Seaworld, Aquatica and importantly, free parking. The Dolphin bit costs plenty and your children may not get much or any benefit. The ticket is such a good call for the following reasons.
1. You say you will be up and out early.. try rope drop as you will be relatively near the entrance gate
2. Seaworld is not anywhere near as busy as the Disney parks, offers loads of quiet and shade and effectively, time out for your children. There are plenty of ‘sees’ as opposed to ‘dos’ and I believe it very well suited for young children.
3. If you or your partner wish to do the big rides (and there are 3 of the best Coasters in Florida), then early door means not inordinately long queues, so you can go one at a time.
4. Aquatica is imho a great park for the very young. The children’s play area is awesome and easy to supervise. There are many ‘two up’ ring rides for your children, should they be brave.
5. D.C. is for us, by far the best day in Orlando.. decent food when you want, same with snacks, a really good bird aviary, an excess of life jackets , wet suits for added confidence and buoyancy and all that, just lazy, safe and very relaxing.

I would give Universal a miss. I love it, but it is largely busy, loud, about character and rides and with much not really suitable for a 1 and a 5. It is busy and you could witness a sensory overload whilst paying nigh on £300 for a decent pass. Save it for another vacation. In time, it will be worth it!

Now Disney. Brilliant theming and absolutely loads that both your children can thoroughly relate to. I am no Disney fan any more, (never really was), but my boys are now 18 and 14. For youngsters, you simply cannot beat it.
The two water parks have free parking and are thus both easy to access and well supervised, but more later.

YOUR PLAN.
Exactly how I would do it in your position. In early, out early then a relax to monitor your children for a bit. You can always return later.. well you should be able to by Summer 22 because I would hope that most restrictions such as advance bookings will be by then lifted.

NO REST DAYS?
I have visited Orlando very regularly. With a Villa and less importance attached to fast passes, I would hope to be playing it extremely loose, planning each day bar Discovery Cove at breakfast time after relaxing the night before over a glass and summarising what had been learned on that day.
I would look to visit every park as soon as I could (subject to your feet) and by the end of week one, know pretty much what works for you and what does not. In the unlikely event that Aquatica kids water park is king, then you could visit it most days in week 2.. or none. It would be a shame to find your favourite park on day 14!

In the parks, food is pricey, burgers, wraps, pizza, all served with chips and soda at around $11? Even now, we don’t do that. You will doubtless have a buggy so pack a Day bag/ small backpack with a bottle of very cold or frozen juice up each side and some sandwich boxes up the middle. You can pack, baby bottles, lays crisps and fruit on top. Besides having balanced food that they are used to, it saves a fortune. We eat out at around 4-6pm every night and away from the parks in order to take advantage of happy hour. If your children have had enough by then, it is home. If not, then Epcot World Showcase or Magic Kingdom can be really good. Remember a Disney parking pass is multi park and lasts all day! Sometimes Pizza in the Villa from Walmart is a good option when the kids are ‘all in’.

You may not need any rest days at all. On the other hand you might. Doing it the way that I suggested keeps all options open throughout!

Hoping this helps. Orlando can look daunting, but I promise that particularly with the expectations of first time young Children and also the tiredness that can come on, it really is not. Keep it simple. There will in probability be plenty more visits in which you can broaden your horizons!

Hoping that this helps.

P.S don’t even think about shuttles with young Children. A car is a must for the flexibility that it brings in the event of ‘burn out’.
Top advice here. Agree with all your points.

I often consider rest days... for about 5 minutes and then remove them 🤣🤣
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Busyb
Helping Mickey

On our first visit with a 4.5 year old we just did Disney and stayed in a villa. We didn't have any rest days because we left the park very early afternoon and chilled all afternoon and evening at the villa so we were well rested. I would plan in extra days which you can always dismiss if you don't feel like it on the day.

We have been back since and did Universal (which I love) but I'm glad we didn't do it first time as it would have been too much and isn't aimed at very young children.

Also consider a pram for your 5 year old as my son wouldn't have managed in the heat without it.
Busyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

There is so much helpful advice on here 💜 Dibbers are amazing!

Not so much to add to what people have already said as I totally agree! We took our daughter when she was 1, and we visited Universal just because our son was 7 but there wasn't so much for her at that age at all so we sat outside eating for a lot of it (I didn't actually complain) 😊

Just a note to ask is Epcot the place you think will be your favourite? I notice you have it for your first day and your last.
Personally I always like our first and last day to be Magic Kingdom to see the castle/say goodbye to the castle but that's totally preference! 😊
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

Hey,

I have fond memories of Epcot as a child and cant wait to return! DD and I are frozen obsessed but actually didnt plan it to be 1st or last on purpose 🙈

We would like to book breakfast at the magic kingdom for our first day in that park but didnt want to do it jet lagged and grumpy so we figured Epcot could be a bit of a slow day for us and then have an early start day 2 of the holiday.

Magic kingdom is 2nd to last as its DDs 5th birthday and wanted to eat at CRT that day for lunch

It's all too exciting 🙌🙌
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Great tips from Cornish there ...i great tip I found was do discovery cove on your first full day as check in is from 7am and your going to be awake at silly o’clock anyway because of the time difference ...a lovely relaxing day to start of your holiday
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List