Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

View Poll Results: Where should I stay?
Stay with the studio at Jambo 10 52.63%
Book a 1 Bedroom at Kidani 8 42.11%
Give up hope before you plan any more. 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Mar 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We have only stayed once at Kidani, the year before we bought into AKV Jambo House.

We loved our stay at Kidani, it was so peaceful and the studio rooms are slightly bigger than at Jambo.

Since purchasing DVC in 2014, however, when we stay at AKV we have only booked Jambo. We loved the drums and all the ambience of the lobby, also enjoyed Mara, although you can now get a breakfast option from Sanaa.

The room we had at Kidani was such a long walk from the lobby, which didn’t matter in the morning but returning tired from our day in the park seemed to take forever to get too

To be honest you will enjoy either resort, so I would base it on how many points you want to/are happy using.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
I actually really like that view! :-)
Yeah, to be fair, it is pretty special. It always makes me sad thinking about this because we had to sell our DVC ownership...
I'd like to think we can bag a resale at some point in the next 2/3 years...
This is what I enjoyed most, each morning sitting on the balcony with a freshly brewed jug of Mickey coffee... watching the light mist burn away as the sun rose...
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
To be honest you will enjoy either resort, so I would base it on how many points you want to/are happy using.
We've got so many points left over at the moment that I've managed to persuade my husband that we need a one bedroom anyway! To be fair, it really only took the suggestion.
Noodlez is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Yeah, to be fair, it is pretty special. It always makes me sad thinking about this because we had to sell our DVC ownership...
This is what I enjoyed most, each morning sitting on the balcony with a freshly brewed jug of Mickey coffee... watching the light mist burn away as the sun rose...

That's stunning! I really hope we get to appreciate something like that this year, although at the moment, anything would beat sitting at home watching the cars drive past my window!
Noodlez is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
We've got so many points left over at the moment that I've managed to persuade my husband that we need a one bedroom anyway! To be fair, it really only took the suggestion.
Perfect, I always open the curtains when I go to bed also so that I wake up to the view of the savannah, it's blissful

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

It's interesting that this thread keeps popping up the list, but only because people are responding to the poll! I look for new responses that don't exist. I think it's far too late for me to change my room choice now, but I would still like to hear people's opinions. They may help for the future!
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Fenland girl
Very Serious Dibber

Fenland girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Hi, Jambo is one of our home resorts and we absolutely love it - real wow factor in the lobby, great amenities, great cultural opportunities, fab atmosphere and lots of viewing opportunities/nooks if you don’t have a Savannah room. The downside with Jambo though is the car park - it’s all surface level and is always busy.

We have stayed at Kidani, but only the once and that was enough for us. We were expecting a mini Jambo and were so disappointed - no wow, no atmosphere, not as many viewing opportunities, the rooms are a long way from the shop/reception/bus stop. If you are hiring a car and staying at Kidani, ask for a room near a lift (the car park is under ground which is more sensible than Jambo and all the lifts go to the car park) to save your legs - you won’t miss anything by not walking through the lobby. The extra bathroom at Kidani is useful if you are planning on having people sleeping in the living room, but other wise it’s not really a bonus.

Personally if the choice was a smaller room at Jambo or a larger room at Kidani and it was just DH and I, I would take the smaller room at Jambo (and we are the kind of couple who always go for a one bed). Kidani was such a disappointment for us.
Fenland girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Sorry to hear you had to sell Bondy, but hopefully you can get back on the bandwagon soon.

As to OPs original question. Whilst we are not fans of AKL solely due to the lack of outside running and walking opportunities and therefore also packed gyms (unusually important to us) the hotel itself is fantastic, apart from on a rainy overcast day when the darkness can seem a bit oppressive to me. I’ve only stayed in standard view Kidani one bed. The room was great, very spacious, similar to the big BLT 1 beds. However I was not a fan of the Kidani pool at all, it’s quite small but there’s a big bee problem there (may be time of year dependent we were there August) so much so they were constantly on everyone, stung my wife and the drinks machines even have to have an air curtain to stop the blighters overrunning them.
If I stayed again I’d definitely go Jambo and go Savannah view to make the most of the main resort feature. I was trying to save some points at the time though.

Edited at 07:57 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We prefer Jambo. I like the lobby, the Mara and the pool. We have never paid for a Savannah view but we have always had at least a partial view of the animals. I know that’s just lucky.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
This is from a DVC STudio in Jambo. It’s a partial view but you can see the giraffes quite well from this floor.

Edited at 08:13 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List