Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Apr 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by icf75 View Post
Hypothetically, what happens to flights/accommodation etc costs if you deem the tests too much money and decide not to go.
I suspect as everything is operating and you choose not to go, you lose everything?
If you book with BA you don't pay balance until 3 weeks before you go so if you choose it to go, for whatever reason, you can have your deposit back as a voucher, or amend your booking. So you lose nothing.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jojo_3596 View Post
It’s going to be a nail biting few weeks/months for those of us with summer bookings! I wouldn’t be surprised if the US is initially ‘amber’ then moved to green as their vaccination programme gathers speed and hopefully cases fall. Sounds like the system will be reviews again in June and July according to Grant Schapos in sky. Just need Joe to let us in!
How do you propose their vaccine programme "gathers speed"?

They have already done 165 doses (or 40%) if we'd done that many we would have double vaccinated everyone and given this year and next year's winter boosters already.

The US vaccine rollout is running at nearly 4m jabs a day, you can't really say it needs to gather pace, it's already the largest vaccine rollout in history in terms of volume per day over a long period
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Green: arrivals will need to take a pre-departure test as well as a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on or before day 2 of their arrival back into the UK - but will not need to quarantine on return (unless they receive a positive result) or take any additional tests, halving the cost of tests on their return from holiday

Ive just heard Schapps mention lfd tests, this says otherwise?
They are hoping to use LFT but at present have some concerns so are looking to PCR as they many times better than LFT in terms of diagnosis
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
icf75
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
TUI are offering full refunds. Not sure about Virgin and others though
Unfortunately I booked everything DIY in 2019 ( I can get my reward miles back -£120), including a cruise, which is another 'kettle of fish'.
Its the other bookings I have made give me more concern.
icf75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hypothetically, what happens to flights/accommodation etc costs if you deem the tests too much money and decide not to go.
I suspect as everything is operating and you choose not to go, you lose everything?
That would depend on what you booked with and whom. I booked and cancelled a March west coast and got nearly all of my money back within 2 weeks, British Airways, EBookers, Hertz and Budget. A regional flight with United took a little longer until it was cancelled. 19 suppliers, 19 full recoveries.
I then booked for Aug 21 and cancelled about 3 weeks before it was to start. American Airlines, Budget Car hire, Ebookers and a few others. All 17 refunded within a fortnight with again, no fees.

Ever since last summer BA, Who obeyed refund law throughout, have stated that in the event of their cancellation or significant change by them , they will refund and in the event that you cancel, a voucher will be issued to be used by 30 April 2023. Given the continued reputation of that company and its conduct since March of 2020, this is more than enough reassurance for me and I booked direct in order to avoid all ‘middlemen’ companies, travel agents, etc.

Pretty much every hotel group or search engine who’s reputation remains intact, is offering free cancellation and refund up until 48 hours before occupation. Again, that is more than enough reassurance for me. I have used EBookers and in addition, a few direct contacts with hotels.

With car hire, again 48 hours notice to cancel and receive full refund.

With attraction tickets, to my knowledge there has been no issue with deferring off to a later date.

I guess that if you look at the recent histories of companies and learn from their legal compliance, ethics (or otherwise), then in the event that you cannot go, refunds should be a very simple matter.

Holiday packages? I wouldn’t touch anybody with a very long barge pole if I could avoid it ever again. My money was back in the bank and thus enabling me to immediately book again whilst others were still trying to make initial contact with a certain supplier. Now more than ever, I have realised that DIY gives you control and more safety for your money. In the event of a company surviving, yet still messing you around, you have very little protection at all, other than by using your credit card and being very patient. ATOL and ABTA protection seem worthless whilst the company is still alive.
In addition, you are ‘spread betting’ by going DIY, not putting all your refund eggs in the one basket.

Covid has massively narrowed my options in booking a vacation and taught me many things that I will carry forward...
Certain company reputations were worthless and they should not be considered ever again.
Consumer law proved useless for refunds.
Middleman companies and travel agents should generally be avoided.
DIY is safest when protecting cash.
Never, ever use anything other than a Credit Card.

As the very wise Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac once wisely sang ‘You can go your own way’.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:04 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
If you book with BA you don't pay balance until 3 weeks before you go so if you choose it to go, for whatever reason, you can have your deposit back as a voucher, or amend your booking. So you lose nothing.
I still have a nagging concern with this.

We had to move our Feb deposit to this December but rather than showing our deposit on the new booking they just discounted the purchase price.

The booking online shows no deposit paid. What happens if covid returns in the winter - deposit lost?
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post

We had to move our Feb deposit to this December but rather than showing our deposit on the new booking they just discounted the purchase price.

The booking online shows no deposit paid. What happens if covid returns in the winter - deposit lost?
Give them a call, that could be an error but I'm sure they will help or explain.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Do we know if there will be any tests required before we are allowed entry in to the US
At the minute I believe everyone over the age of 2 needs to provide a negative lateral flow test or proof of recovery from Covid before travel. I think?
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Good news, I just hope the testing isn't too crazy!
Old 9 Apr 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post

I have the same, they tell me they will return as origional vouchers, I have used three on this booking and it says zero deposit.

I think this stops people consolidationg three vouchers to one and then cancelling again using three more vouchers from the consolidated booking and others.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List