Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 26 Apr 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KSB8989
Getting Excited

A couple of questions please.

Hi all,

I’m hoping that some of you could please offer me some advice?

We have looked at DVC previously and never taken it any further. However, over the last couple of months I have been researching and I’m thinking now might be the right time for us to jump in.

Due to various birthdays and anniversaries we have a one week stay planned each year for 22/23/24 - fingers crossed! After this, our aim will be a fortnight every two years.

When I think about the costs for the three trips in my head it seems to make sense to purchase DVC now. We are very lucky that it would be a cash purchase.

With so much uncertainty surrounding everything at the moment, would now be a silly time to do it?

In regards to actually making offers (on resale) , what would be deemed as acceptable?

Thanks for reading and any help offered. Apologies if this get asked all the time 😁
KSB8989 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KSB8989 View Post
Hi all,

I’m hoping that some of you could please offer me some advice?

We have looked at DVC previously and never taken it any further. However, over the last couple of months I have been researching and I’m thinking now might be the right time for us to jump in.

Due to various birthdays and anniversaries we have a one week stay planned each year for 22/23/24 - fingers crossed! After this, our aim will be a fortnight every two years.

When I think about the costs for the three trips in my head it seems to make sense to purchase DVC now. We are very lucky that it would be a cash purchase.

With so much uncertainty surrounding everything at the moment, would now be a silly time to do it?

In regards to actually making offers (on resale) , what would be deemed as acceptable?

Thanks for reading and any help offered. Apologies if this get asked all the time 😁

Q1- Not at all, whilst it’s always an unknown and you should never buy a luxury timeshare as an ‘investment’ as times boom post covid and Americans possibly clamour for travel, cash room rates may rise and DVC prices will rise. They have risen quite a bit the last 2 months. If you can afford it, are paying cash, have done your homework, then go for it. It will save money if you go every year.

Q2- look at the ‘Right of First Refusal’ thread on the ‘other board’, as there people post what has been accepted on offers and what has passed ROFR. This should allow you to accurately judge offer figures.
Old 26 Apr 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely not a silly time, as long as it won't leave you struggling if the current situation continues or something unexpected occurs. Prices do seem quite high at the moment but they don't often fall, so it may just be that your purchase hasn't gone up in value if you need to sell in the next few years

Have you checked the ROFR thread on the other board? I would start by having a good idea what the points at my desired resort are usually sold for. I would then make an offer based on this, aiming to meet in the middle. E.g. If I think I should be paying $130 and they're advertised at $140 I would offer $120. The more they're advertised for the less I would offer initially. They can always say no!

Remember that smaller contracts tend to go for more than larger, and that loaded contracts (with banked points) may also cost more but you can rent the points if you don't need them this year which helps make up some of the difference.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KSB8989
Getting Excited

Thanks so much for both of your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I will definitely take a look at the other other board and get a feel for the current offers being accepted.

Thanks again 😁
KSB8989 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

While the prices don't currently reflect the remaining years in a contract, they will one day so suggest considering those resorts with a deed expiration date of at least 2054 and AKV would be a strong contender with the lowest points per room with their value options. Also its the only DVC resort with club level and is comparative in pricing to SSR and OKW 2057 and with annual dues less than OKW.

2042 - Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Hilton Head, Old Key West and Vero Beach.
2054 - Saratoga Springs
2057 - Animal Kingdom and Old Key West
2060 - Bay Lake Tower and Grand Californian
2062 - Aulani
2064 - Grand Floridian
2066 - Polynesian
2068 - Copper Creek
2070 - Riviera Resort
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
KSB8989
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
While the prices don't currently reflect the remaining years in a contract, they will one day so suggest considering those resorts with a deed expiration date of at least 2054 and AKV would be a strong contender with the lowest points per room with their value options. Also its the only DVC resort with club level and is comparative in pricing to SSR and OKW 2057 and with annual dues less than OKW.

2042 - Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Hilton Head, Old Key West and Vero Beach.
2054 - Saratoga Springs
2057 - Animal Kingdom and Old Key West
2060 - Bay Lake Tower and Grand Californian
2062 - Aulani
2064 - Grand Floridian
2066 - Polynesian
2068 - Copper Creek
2070 - Riviera Resort
Thanks so much for this info. We’ve previously stayed at SSR twice so we were looking there as we love the location to DS. I know it’s not popular with everyone but we have had a great experience each time 😁

I will definitely take a look at AK though 👍

Thanks again
Old 27 Apr 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

While it's true that one day all of the points will be worth nothing, we have no idea what is going to happen in the coming years. Even in their final year they will be worth 'something', as people will buy them if they can get them cheaper than renting.

The usual length of DVC ownership is 10-15 years, so I wouldn't be too put off if you decide a 2042 resort is the one you really want! They are still increasing in price at the moment, so in 10 years you may be just selling for the same price you bought at rather than making a profit, but you will have had many years of enjoyment by then.

We own at a 2042 resort and I'm hoping that we'll still be as keen to go to WDW when it expires as we are now, but if that's the case we still have 20 years to save up and buy whatever is newer and shinier at the time. At that point AKV will be the 'old' resort.

It's also possible that all of the other resorts will drastically drop in value in 2042 as the there will be far fewer resorts that they can use their points at.

Having said all that, I think SSR and AKV are great resorts. I would probably sway towards SSR because of the cheaper annual dues. It may be only about $1 a point more at AKV but this will add up over the years! Although the value rooms are a great catch if you can get one I would never buy AKV hoping for this to happen as there are so few of them and it is very unlikely.

Edited at 01:00 PM.
Old 27 Apr 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
While it's true that one day all of the points will be worth nothing, we have no idea what is going to happen in the coming years. Even in their final year they will be worth 'something', as people will buy them if they can get them cheaper than renting.

The usual length of DVC ownership is 10-15 years, so I wouldn't be too put off if you decide a 2042 resort is the one you really want! They are still increasing in price at the moment, so in 10 years you may be just selling for the same price you bought at rather than making a profit, but you will have had many years of enjoyment by then.

We own at a 2042 resort and I'm hoping that we'll still be as keen to go when it expires as we are now, but if that's the case we still have 20 years to save up and buy whatever is newer and shinier at the time. At that point AKV will be the 'old' resort.

It's also possible that all of the other resorts will drastically drop in value in 2042 as the there will be far fewer resorts that they can use their points at.

Having said all that, I think SSR and AKV are great resorts. I would probably sway towards SSR because of the cheaper annual dues. It may be only about $1 a point more at AKV but this will add up over the years! Although the value rooms are a great catch if you can get one I would never buy AKV hoping for this to happen as there are so few of them and it is very unlikely.
I’m not sure how true this is but on the ‘other board’ someone did some analysis of how long people really did hold DVC. They said 10-15 years has come from analysis of how long the average contract has been held before selling. They said what it doesn’t take into account is all the ones who don’t sell, which is quite a lot. So they concluded the reality was that the ‘average’ length of ownership was much longer.

Can’t find that post now but it was interesting reading.
Old 27 Apr 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’m not sure how true this is but on the ‘other board’ someone did some analysis of how long people really did hold DVC. They said 10-15 years has come from analysis of how long the average contract has been held before selling. They said what it doesn’t take into account is all the ones who don’t sell, which is quite a lot. So they concluded the reality was that the ‘average’ length of ownership was much longer.

Can’t find that post now but it was interesting reading.
Given how long DVC has existed I guess it is quite difficult to say what the average length of ownership really is. We may need to wait until the first resorts expire to find out how many held them the whole time!

I still wouldn't discourage someone who wanted to purchase a 2042 resort though. I have thought about purchasing elsewhere so we have a bit more time, but as I mentioned I realised we have over 20 years to save up and do that.
Old 27 Apr 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We bought a resale contract at SSR last Autumn through DVCstore. Our agent was really helpful so I would definitely recommend them. We were able to do most things via email but they were happy to call us when needed so we didn't have to pay for a US call. Once I found a contract for the resort and number of points I wanted, the DVCstore agent advised what he thought was a reasonable price per point for that contract and what he thought I should offer. In our case, for a 100 point contract (with 31 banked points) it was advertised for $119, he said $112/113 is what he thought it was worth but recommended offering $109 which was accepted (maybe we should have offered less!).

Good luck with hunting for the perfect contract
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List