Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 May 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Children of the 60s and 70s

Thought you’d like this

WOW! - HOW THE "GREY HAIRED" HAVE DESTROYED OUR PLANET
Checking out at the supermarket, the young cashier suggested to the much older woman that reusable grocery bags were a good idea as plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing back in my earlier days."
The young cashier responded, "That's Our problem today - your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations.”
She was right — our generation didn't have the 'green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles and beer bottles to the shop.
The shop sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we re-used for numerous things, most memorable besides household bags for rubbish, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks.
This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school), was not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have a lift in every supermarket, shop and office building.
We walked to the local shop and didn't climb into a 300 horsepower machine every time we had to go half a mile.
Back then, we washed the baby's Terry Toweling nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind.
We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 3 kilowatts — wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids had hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
Back then, we had one radio or TV in the house - not a TV in every room and the TV had a small screen the size of a big handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Arran In the kitchen.
We blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn.
We pushed the mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.
We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their Mums into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's £40,000 People Carrier which cost the same as a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances and we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pub!
But isn't it sad that some of the current generation lament how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ≈≈≈≈≈ young person...
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to ≈≈≈≈ us off...especially when the “advice” is being offered by a tattooed, multiple pierced smart%% who can't work out the change without the cash register telling them how much it is!
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Thought you’d like this

Checking out at the supermarket, the young cashier suggested to the much older woman that reusable grocery bags were a good idea as plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing back in my earlier days."
The young cashier responded, "That's Our problem today - your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations.”
Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles and beer bottles to the shop.
The shop sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we re-used for numerous things, most memorable besides household bags for rubbish, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks.
This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school), was not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have a lift in every supermarket, shop and office building.
We walked to the local shop and didn't climb into a 300 horsepower machine every time we had to go half a mile.
Back then, we washed the baby's Terry Toweling nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind.
We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 3 kilowatts — wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids had hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
Back then, we had one radio or TV in the house - not a TV in every room and the TV had a small screen the size of a big handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Arran In the kitchen.
We blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
We pushed the mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.
We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their Mums into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's £40,000 People Carrier which cost the same as a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances and we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pub!
But isn't it sad that some of the current generation lament how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ≈≈≈≈≈ young person...
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to ≈≈≈≈ us off...especially when the “advice” is being offered by a tattooed, multiple pierced smart%% who can't work out the change without the cash register telling them how much it is!
Love it, I’ve seen it before on Facebook I think? I have to say this grey haired oldie still does some of those things, our washing only goes in the tumble dryer as a last resort and we only have a TV in the lounge xx
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

No... our generation invented all this stuff... the stuff that makes life easy... so that we can go on holidays and have leisure time... extending life expectancy by over 10 years.

Can't have the good without the bad.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thought you’d like this

Never mind - if they are lucky the young people today will be old and it will be their turn to be blamed for everything!

I don’t even own a tumble drier - line drying for me.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Never mind - if they are lucky the young people today will be old and it will be their turn to be blamed for everything!

I don’t even own a tumble drier - line drying for me.
I do have a tumble dryer but I regard using it as failure. Especially bedding. I will scrutinize the weather forecast to decide when to wash the bedding.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Do you know what, apart from the aches and pains and feeling like a nap mid afternoon I don’t mind being the age I am. I don’t think I would want to be young in this day and age. The problem with jobs, affording housing, not being able to be a stay at home mum because of having a mortgage to pay. No, I’m happy where I am Thankyou.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Anybody got that Greta Thingies email address?

Got to use the tumble dryer as it's phishing down outside.
Old 3 May 21, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I do have a tumble dryer but I regard using it as failure. Especially bedding. I will scrutinize the weather forecast to decide when to wash the bedding.
LOL. Also got a tumble dryer that I haven't used for over a year. Complete waste of space. I managed 3 loads of washing today all dried on the line, including two duvet sets and a white load which had sheets. We were lucky down south a lot of wind and no rain. Felt like a good day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I'm a child of the 70s. I was born in 1970.

Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we re-used for numerous things, most memorable besides household bags for rubbish
I don't remember using brown paper bags to store our household rubbish. They wouldn't have worked very well for food waste.

Back when I was younger we had a single black bin outside our home lined with a plastic black bin bag. Everything went in there - food waste, paper, tins, whatever. Yes, we recycled bottles and a bit of paper but that was about it. Nowadays I recycle more than half of the rubbish I throw away.

Which, of course, meant that those who struggled - or were unable - to climb stairs were not able to move around so freely and get to some places. It was discriminatory. The reason lifts became more prevalent was to give certain people more access, including folk that were born before the 60s and now struggle up the stairs.

And I remember shops having lifts and escalators back in the 70s.

Nowadays, many of our electrical items are more efficient so that they use less energy. An old CRT TV would've used more energy than several of our new LCD/LED TVs do nowadays. So we're actually using less energy now than we did with that old TV with a small screen.

I can't say that I ever drank straight from a tap, and the only place I've used a drinking fountain is in the theme parks. I've always drunk from a glass, cup or bottle even as a kid.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen
This must be aimed at those from the 60s. I think I've always used a biro. For a while at school I did use an ink pen which used plastic cartridges of ink.

Let's face it, the reason that people in the 60s and 70s did the things you mention was not because they chose to do those things, whether for environmental reasons or otherwise. It was because they didn't have any other option. Technology hadn't yet produced some of those items or we didn't have the means to do what we do nowadays.

That's not to say we should blame people for what they did back then. What young people are saying is for the "grey haired" 40/50/60 year olds who run the world today to make changes so as to make the future better.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’m also a child of the 70s but don’t recognise most of this - and also a multi pierced tattooed person.

Not sure whether to be offended to be labelled ‘old folk’ at 47 😂 but I’ll take that in the spirit I’m sure it was intended.

PS Nimbus I did use a fountain pen at school