Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 May 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
DS is self employed, so just a few things to think about, which you probably have:

Who's going to do the paperwork? There's Quickbooks which is relatively cheap. I use Sage for accounts and wages which were reasonably prices back in the day but cost has shot up over last few years. HMRC want it all digitally now (MDT) and for wages (Rti).

You don't get holiday pay, sick pay etc.

If you are to employ anyone: Pensions, Employers liability, SSP, maternity pay etc.
girlfriend is (currently) a HR manager, and will be doing all that sort of stuff

(ta though)

the plan right now is for her to quit the dayjob later in the year to concentrate on setting everything up, and i'll stay in my job (working part time on the business) until it's up and running and needs me for more than a few hours a week. between that and the DJing, we should hopefully have enough income to pay for everything we need
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DIL started her business last September cakes afternoon teas picnics etc she did rent a kitchen but has now moved into converted building on their property she just been given a contract for 2 businesses that will not now be working in an office based environment but hiring a meeting space 2/3 times a month and she’s providing lunch etc
It’s really taken off but set up costs are not cheap even online COSH training update
Etc was expensive and she had a long wait for certificates of use to be issued
Just be aware people don’t think it’s odd phoning or emailing at stupid o’clock for something the next day
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi,

Sounds like you have an exciting plan.

As an outsider I would say that I have seen a lot of local catering/food businesses set up over lockdown and nearly always the question is - what is your hygiene rating… I think people are very suspicious of anyone who is just appearing to try to make a couple of quid out of their own kitchen set up…so I would emphasise that, the use of commercial kitchen environment, the quality of your ingredients and some of your back story. Also you need some kind of USP - why should I buy from you and not any other one of the established businesses offering similar, or indeed a supermarket meal deal. (Not being harsh, but this is what I would think as a possible customer). You will fall between the established restaurant/chef who is offering a known restaurant experience at home, the cheap and cheerful supermarket deal and the hello fresh/gusto, more cooking of ingredients option … how will you carve this niche out?
When I bought things like this during lockdown, one was chosen because of the established restaurant and one because it was a dish that I wouldn’t attempt on my own. I would not be tempted by something pretty standard that might already be in my repertoire or that I could buy as a ping ping meal from the supermarket …or even something that I can buy as a takeaway option. So for me it was often regional and ethnic cuisines that I chose.
I find the sides and additional touches are what make the meal experiences …. pickled veg, local cheeseboard, home made chutney, artisan bread, homemade sauce or condiment …something to nibble on whilst you wait for the main meal etc.
Good luck!
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, i made something today that i think could go on the menu...

so... Question...

Slow cooked beef shortrib ragu. Boxed up and chilled/frozen for three meals at some point soon

If this was sold as part of a posh (warm up at home) takeaway meal for two, how much would you pay for this slow cooked beef shortrib ragu? You could either warm it up as is and serve on tacos, use as a burrito filling, or add a can of tomatoes and maybe some more mushrooms, and you've got the best pasta sauce you'll probably ever have! the possibilities are huge, and i can easily alter the spices for a more cajun/asian/other style rather than an ultra savoury tomato based umami bomb

Would £10 for a tub of this and/or £15 including some other bits to go along with it as a complete meal you can prepare in around 15 minutes,

does that sound reasonable to you? This tub is all meat with just enough sauce to hold it together and would easily feed two people with some appropriate additions...

Edited at 12:59 AM.
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Wayne, I haven't read thro all the replies, so apologies if this has been mentioned. Have you approached your local council regarding any grants available to new business? I did so in 2008 and after presenting my business plan I was interviewed and the higher £3k grant was approved, which was a great help to acquire business items.

Nothing to lose by asking. Good luck kidda
Old 5 May 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok, i made something today that i think could go on the menu...

so... Question...

Slow cooked beef shortrib ragu. Boxed up and chilled/frozen for three meals at some point soon

If this was sold as part of a posh (warm up at home) takeaway meal for two, how much would you pay for this slow cooked beef shortrib ragu? You could either warm it up as is and serve on tacos, use as a burrito filling, or add a can of tomatoes and maybe some more mushrooms, and you've got the best pasta sauce you'll probably ever have!

Would £10 for a tub of this and/or £15 including some other bits to go along with it as a complete meal you can prepare in around 15 minutes,

does that sound reasonable to you? This tub is all meat with just enough sauce to hold it together and would easily feed two people with some appropriate additions...
Wanye that looks fantastic and very good value compared to a lot of the meals we’ve bought. Good portion sizes too. I’d certainly buy it
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Wayne, I haven't read thro all the replies, so apologies if this has been mentioned. Have you approached your local council regarding any grants available to new business? I did so in 2008 and after presenting my business plan I was interviewed and the higher £3k grant was approved, which was a great help to acquire business items.

Nothing to lose by asking. Good luck kidda
not even close to that side of things *yet*

but i'll definitely be investigating further. i've got a meeting with a local independent/creative legend later this week (who's a good friend), hopefully she will hook me up with a bunch of info/contacts to go away with
Old 5 May 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

That looks amazing! I would definitely buy that. When I think what I pay for an Indian takeaway then your meal is fantastic value in comparison and far healthier. My mouth is watering just looking at it.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
not even close to that side of things *yet*

but i'll definitely be investigating further. i've got a meeting with a local independent/creative legend later this week (who's a good friend), hopefully she will hook me up with a bunch of info/contacts to go away with
Hi Wayne, - it's never too soon to ring the council asking if they offer grants for new business, as they're just into the new financial year this is the time to ask.

Old 5 May 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Looks great, good luck with it all.

For me personally, I wouldn’t generally buy it. Only because I always cook from scratch myself and if I wanted a night off it would be a good quality takeaway that’s delivered hot ready to eat.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List