Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 May 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

What to ask friends for, points / cost wise.

We're away with friends in February, staying in 2 beds. When we'd last organised this trip we were booking 2 x 1 beds, so asked them to cover the dues for their 1 bedroom - I'm not out to make a profit out of them.

As the teens won't be with us this trip, we've booked a 2 bedroom. We can't decide whether it's fair that we ask for the dues for half the points, or for the difference between the 1 bed and the 2 bed?

What would you do?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 07:04 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We're away with friends in February, staying in 2 beds. When we'd last organised this trip we were booking 2 x 1 beds, so asked them to cover the dues for their 1 bedroom - I'm not out to make a profit out of them.

As the teens won't be with us this trip, we've booked a 2 bedroom. We can't decide whether it's fair that we ask for the dues for half the points, or for the difference between the 1 bed and the 2 bed?

What would you do?
I’d personally just ask for the difference between the one and the two bed as I would be wanting the super king size bed and the jacuzzi side of the room and then wouldn’t feel bad about them having the two Queen beds & ‘lesser’ bathroom. 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Either way they're getting a real bargain and suggest first sharing it 50/50 but if you want to be a little more generous then charge them the dues for the number of points that's required for a studio which might sometimes be a few more points than the difference between the 1 bed and 2 bed.

Edited at 07:30 AM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you both.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’ve been trying to find the right way to phrase this Jo and I hope you understand the spirit of what I’m trying to say...!

I realise this is a very subjective view but I would try and somehow factor in relative affordability.

What I mean by that is that I would charge a lot less (if anything) if I was doing it for friends / family on a tight budget. If not I would want to as a minimum cover my costs.

I hope that doesn’t sound condescending as I don’t intend it to

I think the options you’ve had suggested are really good by the way!
Old 5 May 21, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’ve been trying to find the right way to phrase this Jo and I hope you understand the spirit of what I’m trying to say...!

I realise this is a very subjective view but I would try and somehow factor in relative affordability.

What I mean by that is that I would charge a lot less (if anything) if I was doing it for friends / family on a tight budget. If not I would want to as a minimum cover my costs.

Thanks Karen, that does make sense.

We've decided that if we manage to move to GF or a Cabin that we'll swallow that extra cost as it's us who want to do that, they'd be very happy with the entire time at BCV, and it's a significant difference in points.

Old 5 May 21, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post

Totally agree Karen, we took friends and didn’t charge at all - they were on a tight budget and it was our way of helping them afford to do something we have been so fortunate to do regularly. We took a standard view studio to give them a theme park view as I knew it was a once in a lifetime for them and we’d been able to do it before. It brought me as much pleasure to see their faces when they opened that bedroom door and could see the castle!

Equally, the above scenario seemed to suggest the friends were happy and able to pay, then definitely don’t make yourself suffer a loss if it’s an ‘equal footing’ in the financial sense.

I also agree that if there are extras that are important to you that wouldn’t be to your friend, then I too would pay the difference, hence my comment about wanting the nice bathroom lol! 😂

Basically I think I’m trying to say there is no one right way to do this, just what you all feel most comfortable with in the particular circumstances 😊
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you, yep makes a lot of sense.

We’re very much equal pegging & I know they’d be mortified if they thought they weren’t paying their fair share, we’d be insulting them.

I’m thinking of splitting the master bedroom when we changed resort as want them to experience it also.

I ‘think’ we’ll end up asking them to cover the dues for half the fortnight at Bcv/ccv but we’ll cover the extra for GF / cabin.

Old 5 May 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I know this isn't a points issue but in the past when we have booked a villa and others have joined us we have paid the whole cost as we choose the villa. When other people like this year we have been invited to join some family they had booked the villa and we were then invited we will not pay them.

We will however pay for lots of meals out for everyone and food from supermarket etc, we will have our own car.

It works out none of us feel hard done by but we and they are not working to a tight budget so it may be slightly different.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I know this isn't a points issue but in the past when we have booked a villa and others have joined us we have paid the whole cost as we choose the villa. When other people like this year we have been invited to join some family they had booked the villa and we were then invited we will not pay them.

We will however pay for lots of meals out for everyone and food from supermarket etc, we will have our own car.

It works out none of us feel hard done by but we and they are not working to a tight budget so it may be slightly different.
No I wouldn’t ask someone to contribute in that scenario either.