Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 5 May 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

*Updated* How many days in each park?

**updated plan on post 12**

Hi,

We’re booked to go for our first family holiday for 14 nights during August 2022. Our boys will be 5 and 9. It’s a long way off but thought I’d start the planning to get our park days booked. I’ve come up with a rough plan but I’m not convinced I’ve planned enough days in the parks and have too many rest days. Would it be worth an extra morning at the parks we’re only visiting once and then things like resort hopping during the afternoon? How many days would you spend at each park?

I’ve tried to keep our weekends out of the parks as apparently they can be considerably busier, but is it worth doing that during the second half of August? Would mornings at Epcot and Animal Kingdom on each Sunday work? Thank you

Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Thurs: Travel day
Fri: Magic Kingdom
Sat: Discovery Cove
Sun: Pool then monorail resort hopping
Mon: Animal Kingdom
Tue: Universal Studios
Wed: Pool then outlets
Thurs: Epcot
Fri: Hollywood Studios
Sat: Downtown Kissimme
Sun: Pool then skyliner resort hopping
Mon: Universal Studios
Tue: Disney Water Park (undecided which one)
Wed: Magic Kingdom
Thurs: Travel day

Edited at 05:10 PM. Reason: Adding children’s ages
mrsd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We went in Aug, kids age 10 and 6.
It’s hot and wipes you out, really hard doing full days.
We did mainly half days either opening until about 2pm then back to pool or lazy pool day then to parks 3/4pm until closing. Most people recommend mornings in your first week as jet lag has you up early then evenings in second week when you’ve adjusted to time.
We only once managed opening til closing one day and that was at the Studios with lots of indoor sit down shows.
The other parks we did “half“ days 2 days AK, 3 days Epcot, 3 days MK, 2 days US. Sometimes we combined water park with eve at a park.
We were there 3 weeks and had very little down time and it was busy. Looking back I wish we’d had a bit more down time but I didn’t want to miss anything.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Why dont u book parks on lazy days just incase you fancy popping for few hours or so, they can be cancelled. We are going Aug 22 and have a park booked nearly everyday but some we only going for fireworks (hopefully back on by then) so still technically have free day.
We went Oct 19 and I planned at least 2 days for each park and we done everything and more than planned but that was Oct so probs more quiet
Donz1979 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

If you are planning on going back in future years I would just buy Disney tickets you can easily do 2 days in each park, so that's 12 with the water parks plus a day shopping/pool. We usually do a day and then a late, afternoon night in each park, it is tiring in the heat and tickets are so expensive for all the different parks x
sorry I forgot to add Universal has quite a lot of height restriction rides and if you have a little one they may not be able to get on much .

Edited at 08:46 AM.
Jaspercat10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

I wouldn't bother with resort hopping on your first visit, I would just do a pool day or do a park early before it gets too busy.
As above I'd skip universal you can easily do 14 days Disney. 2 days at each park especially with kids your age as you probably won't manage full days.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

I wouldn’t waste time/days on resort hopping and would only go to another resort if we had a meal booked. There is so much to see and do, I would focus on the parks and one or two rest days. Also, I view discovery cove as a rest day and with all that water time there - would you want a pool day the day after?

I’m going against what others have said and would say go for it in terms of Universal, but you would need another day if you plan to do Islands of Adventure too
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

Lots of food for thought, thank you. I don’t think my eldest son would forgive me if we didn’t go to Universal 😂 He’s the biggest Harry Potter fan ever!

Pool after discovery is probably not the wisest move, you’re right. We’ll change that. I think I was too worried about the parks being too busy at the weekend so was avoiding them which is why I’ve been chucking in resort hopping, etc. I’m hoping for a Topolinos breakfast so can wander a bit then, but may change the other day to a park day.

Thank you again
Old 5 May 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Lots of food for thought, thank you. I don’t think my eldest son would forgive me if we didn’t go to Universal 😂 He’s the biggest Harry Potter fan ever!

Pool after discovery is probably not the wisest move, you’re right. We’ll change that. I think I was too worried about the parks being too busy at the weekend so was avoiding them which is why I’ve been chucking in resort hopping, etc. I’m hoping for a Topolinos breakfast so can wander a bit then, but may change the other day to a park day.

Thank you again
Something you may want to consider is to book a night in a top Universal hotel, that way you get two days ‘front of line’ passes so you wouldn’t have to queue. The parks will still be busy but you can get most things done between the 2 Universal parks in 2 days. That may be a way of making things easier on the weekend.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
Something you may want to consider is to book a night in a top Universal hotel, that way you get two days ‘front of line’ passes so you wouldn’t have to queue. The parks will still be busy but you can get most things done between the 2 Universal parks in 2 days. That may be a way of making things easier on the weekend.
That’s a great idea. Thank you
Old 5 May 21, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
If you do this, take a look at travel republic. I’ve booked 2 nights on there today and they’re very good prices compared to other sites. Only £15 deposit too.
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List