Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 24 Feb 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
East for us, from Orlando we'd be heading to Daytona, New Smyrna or Cocoa.
New Smyrna? You are very brave. Whilst I appreciate that there are many people in the water and the odds on being bitten are low, I would be thinking more about Sharks than swimming.

2020 Summary extract from Google.

Nine of the attacks were in Volusia County, Florida, home to New Smyrna Beach, unofficially known as the shark attack capital of the world. Three of the attacks occurred on the same day.

However, Florida's 21 attacks are a significant drop from its most recent five-year annual average of 32 incidents. That coincides with the worldwide average, as ISAF says the 64 unprovoked attacks in 2019 were "significantly lower" than the five-year average of 82 bites.

Edited at 07:36 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
New Smyrna? You are very brave. Whilst I appreciate that there are many people in the water and the odds on being bitten are low, I would be thinking more about Sharks than swimming.

Nine of the attacks were in Volusia County, Florida, home to New Smyrna Beach, unofficially known as the shark attack capital of the world. Three of the attacks occurred on the same day.

However, Florida's 21 attacks are a significant drop from its most recent five-year annual average of 32 incidents. That coincides with the worldwide average, as ISAF says the 64 unprovoked attacks in 2019 were "significantly lower" than the five-year average of 82 bites.
Ha, yeah we dont go out and splash around ... more a gentle paddle.
Always get the "Shhh Shhh Shhh Shark! " and finger pointing by the oh or lads if the water gets over the hips!
Lots of surfers around.
We have booked in the BW again for 4 nights this August, can't wait.
Flaglers Happy Hour lasts all day don't you know! 😊🤣🍺
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
East for us, from Orlando we'd be heading to Daytona, New Smyrna or Cocoa.
We always make for Flagler Beach, great beach and never crowded. Has an Anna Maria type atmosphere.
Old 24 Feb 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Flagler Beach is brilliant.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Do you also intend to go to busch gardens anyway?

If so an approach we sometimes take is drive down to Clearwater in the morning. Afternoon beach and dolphin spotting. Evening, sunsets beach and meal out.

Next day back via BG. It often has a slightly later opening time. Go to BG all day, kids sleep in car on the way back. Day off next day !

It works for us if we are combining BG or a Buccs game with the beach.

Otherwise if I wanted beachy beach and not to combine with other elements I would go elsewhere on the gulf coast. To one of the quieter island. AMI for example.

Also like.east to St Augustine and beach there. But again do it as an overnight.

Natural springs as noted above are good fun for a more local day out, some with beaches but just freshwater and often warm !

Edited at 09:04 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Or St Pete's Beach that surprisingly (for me) has just been voted America's best beach.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Why do they go to this particular beach area do they know?
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
Why do they go to this particular beach area do they know?
I believe that you will find it regarded as a bit of a ‘Surfers paradise’ and there may inevitably be a ‘it won’t happen to me’ bravado amongst youngsters (and elders) who surf.

I would not go deeper than knee deep there.

Another hot spot is Reunion in recent times, although when I visited Mauritius, I had no qualms about swimming out a Kilometre plus to the reef... I wasn’t in Reunion!

magicseaweed/news/the-hi...-island/11980/

An interesting read.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:44 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

I believe that you will find it regarded as a bit of a ‘Surfers paradise’ and there may inevitably be a ‘it won’t happen to me’ bravado amongst youngsters (and elders) who surf.

I would not go deeper than knee deep there.

Another hot spot is Reunion in recent times, although when I visited Mauritius, I had no qualms about swimming out a Kilometre plus to the reef... I wasn’t in Reunion!

magicseaweed/news/the-hi...-island/11980/

An interesting read.
I'm doing the Florida Ironman in November and my biggest worry is sharks or crocs tinted goggles ready so i won't see anything.
If our Aug hol goes ahead then i will be getting loads of sea swimming in but really apprehensive about it.

The event is at Panama City Beach so think it's a bit safer but others who have done it previously have said they've seen big critters out there
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

I would recommend Coquina Beach at Anna Marie Island/Bradenton. Has good facilities with a beach bar hut too. It's just before crossing the bridge south towards longboat. We go here every year and absolutely love it. Not too busy either.

In the evening we wander towards Lido Key for a walk and then relax with a coffee/tea.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List