Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Sep 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - 19th July 2019 - Cable car, Union Sq & Hard Rock Cafe

Day 2

I woke up at some point through the night but luckily fell back to sleep until 6.45am, excellent! Everyone was still asleep so I just quietly pottered about, wrote up some notes and sorted out our receipts from so far.

Hope woke up really upset as her sunburn was really bad, I felt terrible . We put tonnes of after sun on and made sure she fully covered up today. The sun was shining today though which is typical.

Much better view today!

We were washed dressed and downstairs for 9. Today is Sean’s 23rd birthday and we were trying the Buena Vista Cafe for breakfast which is about a 10 min walk away right next to Blazing Saddles.

We got seated right away but our server was quite blunt and really rushing us . The birthday boy really wanted pancakes which they didn’t have on the menu so we decided to try somewhere else. They also didn’t have English breakfast tea so with that and the blunt service it was the right choice. It was a shame as I’d heard good things about their food, plus the cable car turntable that we were going on after was right opposite.

After a quick discussion it was decided we would go back to the Hollywood Cafe where we had breakfast yesterday.
With it being a bit later today we had to wait for a table but it only took about 10 minutes before they seated us outside on 2 tables of four which was ideal as it was such a lovely day.

I went with the Marilyn Monroe which is 3 wedges of French toast and a fruit bowl. Thought I better have some vitamins
Jim had the vegetarian omelette, Sam the pancakes with poached egg and bacon and Hope just had a drink. Again she’s not really a breakfast person. Jim along with Nick had today decided he wasn’t going to eat meat again this holiday only sticking to fish as it was making him feel bloated. Let’s see how long Reggie the veggie lasts!
Food was amazing for the second time and was the perfect amount without feeling too full.

Paid up splitting the bill again, but more expensive than yesterday at $90 per family but it’s honestly so worth it!

From here we walked back towards the cable car turnaround and bought 4 one way tickets. These were $28.

There was now a lengthy queue which got a few groans from the teens and men but we’d bought the tickets and Helen and I really wanted to go on it so tough, we had to wait it out. Stunning views from the queue though!

We got on the 3rd car after about a 45 minute wait. I went inside with Sam and Sean. Jim, Hope, Helen, Nick and Jen were hanging on. I was too scared

The lady controlling the brakes was quite fierce and a tad scary, barking at the passengers for stepping out of line. Must be a tough job though and she did let me know when an outdoor seat came available at the top of Lombard St so I quickly ran round. Got much better photos from here.

We travelled all the way to Union Square and got off at the Post St/Powell stop which is literally on the corner of the square. Really reminded me of New York round here with the tall buildings and skyscrapers.

Went into Macy’s for a wander, the girls and boys split up and we agreed to meet back up in 50 minutes at 12.30pm.
Went up to the women’s department and had a look around, Helen was still after some trousers and found some cargo pants. I couldn’t find anything, I don’t think I had my shopping head on and would just be buying for the sake of it.

Mum called me whilst we were in there so told Helen I would meet them outside then had a lovely catch up in the sunshine. Boris was so far behaving himself which is good news!
Met back up with everyone at 12.30 and stopped for a drink in the Café on the square. Got 4 soft drinks, 2 croissants for Hope, a chocolate croissant for me and a cinnamon swirl for Jim.

Once refuelled we headed for China Town to have a wander.

I bought this lovely origami Christmas decoration in one of the shops.

We were going to grab an Uber back to the hotel but once we’d walked the length of China Town we realised we had come out at the top end of Columbus Ave and the hotel wasn’t actually that far. Kids were moaning but it was only a 20 minute walk in the end!

Looking up to Lombard St

Quick stop back in the room then we picked the cars up and headed out.
We were going to Old Mill Park where they have giant redwood trees that Helen wanted to see. We stopped at a Subway by the Wharf to grab a takeout lunch. I got a chicken pesto on ciabatta, Jim tuna, Hope ham and Sam chicken. With 4 crisps and 4 drinks it came to $48.
We now made our way over the Golden Gate Bridge. Beautiful views on the way!

The journey took about 40 minutes, we passed through a lovely town called Mill Valley on the way. Found a spot to park on the road then wandered down to the picnic area to eat our lunch. It was so lovely and peaceful here with a stream running through the middle. I just love water so of course had to go and have a paddle, thankfully I had flip flops on.

We only stayed here about an hour then headed back to the town we had seen to get a drink. It was easy to park on the road, we then wandered down the high street to find a bar. It was eerily quiet everywhere and had a real Twin Peaks feel to it . Came across tonnes of very nice interior design shops but not a bar in sight.

Found a restaurant we could have a drink in but the only seating they had was in a row along a bar area and we wouldn’t have been able to talk.

Saw another bar across the road but that one didn’t open until 5 and it was only 4pm now.

Admitting defeat we got back in the car and headed back for the hotel, I drove this time as Jim wanted a power snooze. Traffic wasn’t as bad coming back as it was going, went through the Robin Williams Tunnel which is a lovely memorial for him.

I dropped Jim and the kids off at the hotel then Helen, Sean and Jen jumped in my car and we drove up to the Mrs Doubtfire House on Steiner St.
Very easy to find, we took a few photos then left, feels a bit odd when it’s actually someone’s home! This area is lovely though with beautiful views.

We now headed for Lombard St to drive down the crookedest road in the world. I was expecting a massive queue given the time of day but I drove straight down. The amount of tourists jumping out into the road to get a good photo was ridiculous. I was tempted to run a few of them over but thought better of it . No photos as I was driving but we come back tomorrow so that Jim and the kids could see.
Back to the hotel where we dropped Jen off into our room with Hope and Sam and met Jim and Nick at the sports bar over the road. Helen had to go back to get Sean’s passport to prove he was over 21.

I got a Cosmopolitan, Helen G&T, Jim and Nick a Coors Light and Sean a Diet Coke. $23 altogether, bargain! This was a real locals bar which you could tell with prices like these.
The men were just finishing off a round of pool then joined us at the table.
We spent a very enjoyable hour just chatting with a second round of drinks consumed. The drinks were so potent, Helen and I were feeling slightly tipsy so thought it best we leave to get something to eat

We called the kids to meet us in reception then walked down to Pier 39. On the way I saw a souvenir shop with a few other license plates for sell and I managed to find Nevada, Arizona and New York. Just Florida to get now.

Spiderman, just chilling as you do!

As it was Sean’s birthday his choice for dinner was the Hard Rock Cafe right at the beginning of Pier 39. We were seated straight away which I thought odd seeing as it was about 8pm on a Friday evening. The one in Hyde Park Corner would have a queue round the block!

We were ravenous which isn’t always good as you end up over ordering. We went with chicken fajitas for me, shrimp fajitas for Jim, hotdog for Hope and a chicken Caesar salad for Sam. We also ordered some nachos to share for everyone.
Whilst waiting for it to arrive I had a quick look in the shop. Standard. I bought my cousins little girl her first Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt and Sean a hoody as an extra birthday pressie. He put it on straight away.

Food didn’t take too long and we soon devoured it all, in fact there wasn’t one nacho left on the plate and no photos as it was inhaled too fast
We had told the server it was Sean’s birthday so he kindly brought out an ice cream sundae and announced his birthday to the restaurant. He loved this, he’s not shy at all

The bill came to $210 so again split it down the middle. When it came to paying the server took our cards and disappeared for ages with them which was very naughty of him. I even had to chase him up as he was then serving someone else their food with our cards god knows where. Not good

Once paid we had a little look in the gift shop opposite.
I was after a magnet and some postcards which I got. Also found these little personalised license plates which Hope and I got very excited about as our names are never on any gifts so we of course had to buy them. Couldn’t leave Sam out so got his too!

The boys were now bored of shopping so got a cab back to the hotel. The girls went and had a look at what the rest of Pier 39 had to offer.

We didn’t end up buying anything else just window shopped. Saw the same cable car tree decoration in the Christmas store here for $17.99 whereas I only paid $6.99 for it in Sausalito! I would have thought it would be the other way around.

We were now pooped so we too got a cab back. Had a very geriatric driver who yet again didn’t have a clue as to where the Columbus Motor Inn was so I had to guide him from my Maps
5 minutes later we pulled up and went straight to our rooms. I packed up a little ready for the first of our 8 stops in the morning then wrote up some notes before lights out at 11, our latest night yet

Edited at 07:23 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Wonderful busy day. Great photos!
KayLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A pain about the first breakfast place not working out, but seems like the second was a hit. I'm glad Sean got his birthday pancakes, plus the sundae at Hard Rock, that's a lovely photo. Another fsb day with the cable car ride and the trip to Lombard street.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a busy day . Completely fabulous though. Shame about the hiccup with breakfast but glad you made the decision to go elsewhere.

How scary are the outside rides on those cable cars ! Love your city pics, and then such a pretty place for lunch. Shame no bar but a lovely spot.

Looks like a fun evening with the locals bar and a great night at Hard Rock and the Pier.
What a superb stay you have had in SF . Whispers quietly ... It is a bit of shopping let down tho isn’t it ?
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A pain about the first breakfast place not working out, but seems like the second was a hit. I'm glad Sean got his birthday pancakes, plus the sundae at Hard Rock, that's a lovely photo. Another fsb day with the cable car ride and the trip to Lombard street.
It was a pain to begin with as I had read such great reviews but it turned out to be the best decision as my breakfast was so good plus Sean got his pancakes. He’s so funny with them, that’s all he would ever order for breakfast then proceed to add 3 packets of sugar and dump a whole load of syrup on top for good measure. We couldn’t tell him otherwise, he just keeps saying he’s Buddy the Elf 😂
Even with his additional needs, he’s the life and soul of the party and loves the attention so was in his element when the sundae got brought over and everyone sang!
It was such a great day, thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
What a busy day . Completely fabulous though. Shame about the hiccup with breakfast but glad you made the decision to go elsewhere.

How scary are the outside rides on those cable cars ! Love your city pics, and then such a pretty place for lunch. Shame no bar but a lovely spot.

Looks like a fun evening with the locals bar and a great night at Hard Rock and the Pier.
What a superb stay you have had in SF . Whispers quietly ... It is a bit of shopping let down tho isn’t it ?
It was a shame but the right decision to go back to the Hollywood Cafe. God I could eat one of those breakfasts right now 😩
Oh I know, there’s not a chance in hell you would get me holding on like that!
Mill Valley was really pretty, a hidden gem but yes a bar would have really helped we were parched!
We do like a Hard Rock Cafe, usually visit one in most cities we visit. I love their fajitas 😬
Total shopping let down! But fear not I make up for it further into the holiday 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Sep 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

It must be so much fun riding the cable cars. I think I would like to hang on the outside just for the experience. San Fran looks like a beautiful city, so many lovely photos. It is a bit weird to think that ordinary people live in the Doubtfire house - I wonder if they get fed up with folks taking pictures.

Sounds like a great evening at Hard Rock to finish off your day. Sean certainly looks like he is enjoying himself

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
It must be so much fun riding the cable cars. I think I would like to hang on the outside just for the experience. San Fran looks like a beautiful city, so many lovely photos. It is a bit weird to think that ordinary people live in the Doubtfire house - I wonder if they get fed up with folks taking pictures.

Sounds like a great evening at Hard Rock to finish off your day. Sean certainly looks like he is enjoying himself
You’re certainly braver than I am Linda 😬
Its such a photographic city, especially in the sunshine like it was today!
Yes you’re right it must be so odd, not sure how I would be with people constantly turning up at my house to take photos. Especially first thing in the morning when I’m still in my night stuff putting the recycling out 😂
Sean had a great day, he especially loved the attention the sundae gave him

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
What another great day you had.

That breakfast place sounded so good wish we'd have gone there!
The cable car sounded really fun and glad you drove down Lombard Street, such an experience.
Hope Sean had a great birthday what a way to spend it.
Really enjoying your trippy
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List