Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 21 Feb 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
bluebell2go
slightly serious Dibber

Denise Welch on Loose Women

I've waited a few days before posting about this just in case I was being a little sensitive, and getting things out of proportion, but, no, I'm still pretty annoyed. I'm also aware that in the context of the wider discussion of the recent tragedy my complaint will seem inconsequential, but no, I'm still annoyed.

On Monday many people in the media were talking about the importance of being kind and this was also continued on Loose Women when the subject of mental ill-health and suicide were discussed. Ms Welch stated that she has been an advocate for mental health, having suffered difficulties herself.

When she was explaining that mental health problems can hit anyone regardless of status, she said "It doesn't matter if you are a Royal (holding her hand high to indicate high status) or are living in a Glasgow tenement block (making a low throwaway movement of her other hand). I would take from this that Ms Welch believes that Glaswegian tenement dwellers have the lowest status in the UK.

NB: Tenement is not a synonym for slum. It's a style of building, an early form of apartment block. Many of them did become slums, but they have mainly been demolished or modernised and reconfigured. There are also many large, ornately decorated, spacious and expensive flats in tenement buildings in Glasgow.

Can Glaswegians never shake off the stigma of "No "Mean City"? Or is there some other reason Ms Welch chose my birth city? (I don't believe it is hers.)

Given that those in the media have been explaining this week about the damage done to them by trolling, I am shocked that Ms Welch would be so insensitive as to dismiss and insult a section of the population while ignoring the fact that some may themselves already be suffering with poor mental health. Such a comment is unlikely to improve a fragile self-esteem.
bluebell2go is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I saw that and thought ‘you cheeky cow ‘ . I’m not from Glasgow and have never been but it was a very rude comment to make .can’t stand her anyway

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Don't watch LW but I've been to Glasgow and loved it, ignore the silly woman
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Don't watch loose women but my Dad was born and raised in a Glasgow tenement and I have many happy memories of visiting my Granparents and Aunties in there very generous sized home. Would have offended me too not sure why she had to make that analogy
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Yes i saw that and kinda thought the same!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

Don’t take it personally, I live in a town in South Wales which is always being put down and ridiculed, in fact a series called “skint” was filmed here!
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

As a fellow Geordie, I have to admit I have never been a fan. However like a number of famous people she forgets where she comes from. Have always felt that their is a 'brother/sisterhood' between the people of Newcastle, Glasgow and Liverpool due to the former ship building industry and the three areas regeneration.
For me she uses her Geordie roots when she wants to show she is 'one of the people' after that the fake posh accent comes on. And don't get me started on her treatment of Tim Healy
Don't forget Denise you went to a school up here which is commonly known as 'Bygate Borstal' so stop putting down proud working class areas
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I heard it too and cringed a bit wondering if she realised actually how that sounded.
In regards to wealth she could have used it without a specific reference to an exact place .
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Geordie Al View Post
As a fellow Geordie, I have to admit I have never been a fan. However like a number of famous people she forgets where she comes from. Have always felt that their is a 'brother/sisterhood' between the people of Newcastle, Glasgow and Liverpool due to the former ship building industry and the three areas regeneration.
For me she uses her Geordie roots when she wants to show she is 'one of the people' after that the fake posh accent comes on. And don't get me started on her treatment of Tim Healy
Don't forget Denise you went to a school up here which is commonly known as 'Bygate Borstal' so stop putting down proud working class areas
According to Wikipedia she’s from Tynemouth and went so La Sagesse which was a ‘public’ school. (And home to Tracey Beaker for a while)

What was Bygate Borstal? I know there was a first school there. But I’m not familiar with it’s history.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
According to Wikipedia she’s from Tynemouth and went so La Sagesse which was a ‘public’ school. (And home to Tracey Beaker for a while)

What was Bygate Borstal? I know there was a first school there. But I’m not familiar with it’s history.
Lets just say rough doesn't do it justice!