Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Feb 16, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Eating disorder - DD admitted to The Priory - latest post 24th Dec 23

My dd17 has always been tall and very slim.
However she has been intentionally eating less over the last 12 months ( we didn't realise until recently it was intentional , she has always had a small appetite ) .
It may sound daft but we didn't realise how much she had lost.
She is now 6 stone / 38 kilo and has a bmi of 12.
She has been under the local CAMHS service for 3 months but only about a month ago did we realise her issues were largely being caused by her weight and equally didn't realise how dangerously low her weight was.
She is not anorexic in the traditional sense , no body image issues , and now realises the error of her ways and really wants to put weight on.
But she is struggling to eat enough due to the size of her stomach.
She is trying to stick to a new meal/ snack plan which she does reasonably well - the result is that her weight has stabilised but it needs to go up.
We have a meeting set up with CAMHS at which we believe if no progress has been made , she will be offered to become an outpatient at either the priory in altrincham of galaxy house at the Manchester children's hospital.
If her weight has dropped , she might have to become an inpatient, but not sure where that might be
Does any one have any experience with any of these units , or any other advice ?

Thanks for reading

Edited at 06:54 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Not direct experience but a very good friend of my eldest DD was admitted to The Priory due to anorexia. She had been under the care of mental health teams but needed more intense support so was admitted. From what my daughter has told me the results have been absolutely life changing for her friend. She was an in patient for over 6 months, but during that time increased her body weight and realigned her relationship with food (as well as helping her with her body image issues, which she did have). It wasn't easy, especially in the early days but she now has a BMI in the 'normal' range and eats a healthy varied diet.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

I cant offer any advice, but didn't want to read and run. I hope some sound advice will be along soon and I wish you and your family well

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

No experience of units - but in order to put on weight safely, I would suggest a protein led diet ( to repair and add muscle ) with complex non sugar or refined carbohydrates. Perhaps a good quality protein shake ( 30g per scoop ), tuna and fish meals, chicken and turkey. Brown rice, quinoa and pulses. Cook with extra virgin olive oil. Vitamin sprays rather than pills ( Holland and Barratt ) Empty calories ( soda, mcDonalds etc ) will put on weight - but will decrease health so best to avoid those

Hope your daughter recovers x
Stitchesmumanddad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

No experience of eating disorders but a family member recently spent 6 weeks at the Priory in Altrincham as an in patient. She is now being treated as an out patient for about the next year. The programme of care and therapy they put together for her was second to none and she is miles away now from where she was when she went in. It was very expensive though. Private healthcare only covered the first 28 days, I think it cost something like £5k a week for the last 2 weeks she was in.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

The priory in altrincham is excellent,I have in my working days been there lots of times to collect clients and return to nhs hospitals and vice versa,your dd weight is extremely low and it could be she may need admitting to be monitored carefully I have little experience of eating disorders but the trust I worked for was always trying to improve their care to these clients,best of luck to you and dd, bondy

Edited at 12:24 AM.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Best wishes to your daughter and family, I'm sure its a strain on you all with the constant worry.

I know a girl who was anorexic (My kids deputy heads DD), Her mum actually works with the school and CAMHS and didn't realise to begin with what the girl was going. She has been a inpatient twice now, First time without much success she gained weight but lost it when she came out.. Second time made a massive difference and she came out a changed person and has so far stayed healthy.

I do unfortunately have experience with CAMHS, my DD saw them for another reason.. 1st time was useless the counsellor couldn't have been more condescending if she tried. 2nd attempt she didn't really want their help.. 3rd attempt with a different counsellor and the help of a keyworker at school we got there..
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks for all your support . Earpoppin is there a good website that explains the benefits of each type of food group. I'm afraid I know nothing of what foods do what , or even what foods fall into what categories. The food plan she has been given ( only started a month ago ) just seems to be aimed at regular eating ( meal, snack, drink) but we have had no advice really as to what to kind of foods to have. We have been given a suggested meal plan , but it just seems like everyday stuff to me.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Thanks for all your support . Earpoppin is there a good website that explains the benefits of each type of food group. I'm afraid I know nothing of what foods do what , or even what foods fall into what categories. The food plan she has been given ( only started a month ago ) just seems to be aimed at regular eating ( meal, snack, drink) but we have had no advice really as to what to kind of foods to have. We have been given a suggested meal plan , but it just seems like everyday stuff to me.
The important thing for your daughter will be to learn to eat regularly again and to develop a good relationship with food. It is important to listen to the health professionals who are caring for your her, but don't be afraid of asking them what they recommend in terms of food balance.

I forgot to say that the NHS funded my DDs friend's stay at the Priory.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Darwen Bird View Post
The important thing for your daughter will be to learn to eat regularly again and to develop a good relationship with food. It is important to listen to the health professionals who are caring for your her, but don't be afraid of asking them what they recommend in terms of food balance.

I forgot to say that the NHS funded my DDs friend's stay at the Priory.
Thanks Darwin . That last bit is interesting that the nhs will fund an inpatient stay. CAMHS had been talking about an inpatient stay but when discussing the priory / galaxy just seems to be talking about outpatient , which I thought would be funding blockages . But maybe if she really needs inpatient , ( we are getting mixed messages ) then it might be possible at a private place but through the nhs.