Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

Stead and Simpson shoe shop on a Saturday in the days when only one shoe in one size was on display and we spent the day up and down step ladders plus the stock room was over three floors would be exhausted at the end of the day! I must admit to sometimes when being asked “ do you have this style in a size 5?” Saying no because I knew that style was on the top shelf of the top floor! Also had a afterschool job in a small hotel waiting on and cleaning rooms so much easier than the shoe shop.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I did loads including, opening envelopes for a pools company, working in retail, department stores, factory including night shifts. Best was in a record store in the early 70’s. All good experience. DD did hotel reception and the best student job ever - working for a national chocolate retailer.
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I worked in a scoop shop for £11 a day in the late eighties
Loved it , as if the sweets were anywhere but in the tub we were allowed to eat them .
Best was when someone said “ that’s too much take a few out “ got to eat them too !
Was as skinny as a rake too !
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Looks like a lot of us were busy on Saturdays back in the day. Lots of fellow Woolies workers too
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I worked in a pub next to Bramall Lane (Sheffield united ground) on match days making sandwiches they sold to footy fans and collecting and washing glasses.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
When I was at school I worked on the pick'n'mix counter in Woolies and absolutely loved it... specially stocking up after a busy day
OMG so did I ! I worked at the big Woolies in Watford. I also worked on their bakery country ... happy days
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I had a Saturday job at Woolies in 1969 I think I got nearly £1 for the day... I remember first day they put me on feminine hygiene products...
Funny thing my DGS landed a weekend job today at a nearby Jungle gym (kids soft play) he’s on an 8 week probationary period... he’s so pleased... so fingers crossed for him... My DGD (his sister) has a weekend job which she’s had for 2 years waitressing in a pub restaurant...
All my kids worked for some of their own money and I’m proud my grandchildren are too... think it gives them a good work ethic and it’s good for them to have money they’ve actually worked for...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Age 11, I worked Sat mornings in a greengrocers. One of my jobs was to boil the beets! I used to go home covered in purple ‘dye‘ & had to have a strip wash at the sink. I was paid 10 shillings (50p) which I had to give to my mum. Aged 13, I worked Sats in a shoe shop for 22s 6p. Approx £1.12p & my mum let me keep 50p.
Ah, the good old days. Lol.
disneywiseowl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MarionG View Post
I was a Saturday girl at Woolies in 1971. I think I earned something like £1.50 working 8.45am to 5.30pm...
I was a Saturday girl in 1970 and I've never forgotten I earned 75pence and thought I was rich

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I worked on a clothes stall on the local market on a Saturday then went straight to deliver The Pink (Manchester football paper, not sure if it was in other places too) and then did babysitting in the evening.

My daughter is 15 and is desperate for a job but places don’t seem to take on here until 16. I could take my pick, there was always a job going somewhere !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List