Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jan 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Daughter upset over making a decision.

My daughter has been dancing at the same school of dance since the age of 2, she absolutely loves it (ballet, tap, modern, National, musical theatre etc) it costs a fortune but worth it.
Shows are every 18-24 months, these are a big event and amazing although incredibly expensive due to the costumes. The show was supposed to be next month but due to the current situation it was moved to October.
My daughters class were due to leave in July (age 18) but are allowed to stay on until October to do their final show.
We have already paid a £250 deposit for the show and another deposit due soon. Classes are now done over zoom at a reduced cost of £30 per week but my daughter doesn’t enjoy the zoom lessons. If she chooses to leave now rather than July she will get £170 of the deposit back (two costumes already completed) but if she stays the whole £900 must be paid before July even if the show doesn’t go ahead and will not be refunded.
If the show was guaranteed to go ahead then she would definitely continue but as thats not 100% certain so she doesn’t know what to do. Plus her two best friends from her class have both decided to leave now, leaving my daughter and one other friend.
My husband would rather her leave now.
I am un sure, £900 is a lot of money to loose but she has danced since she was 2 so it will be heartbreaking to leave.
My daughter is worried about us forking out £30 a week for zoom lessons she doesn’t enjoy plus the possibility of us loosing £900 (on top of the weekly payments). She is also worried that when they do go back to the studio it won’t be the same without her best friends.
On the other hand, she absolutely loves dance at the studio (not on zoom) and loves being on stage. Everyone’s last show is always a big event so she was excited for that.

Do you think shows in theatres will be up and running by October?
I know no one can know for sure.
Its so hard bless her.
Its sad that money is playing such a big factor in this decision, we are far from rich, my husband is a teacher and we save all our money for our children and for florida. I think if she leaves now she could regret it. However she really doesn’t want to do the next two months of zoom lessons.

Sorry for the massive post 🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Personally I think you need to bite the bullet and she needs to leave now. As you say it’s a lot of money to lose.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Personally I think you need to bite the bullet and she needs to leave now. As you say it’s a lot of money to lose.
I agree with this ..

£900 is a lot of money and there’s so much uncertainty right now .

Does she have a part time job though ? If so and she wants to stay on I’d ask her to contribute towards the £900
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My daughter has been dancing at the same school of dance since the age of 2, she absolutely loves it (ballet, tap, modern, National, musical theatre etc) it costs a fortune but worth it.
Shows are every 18-24 months, these are a big event and amazing although incredibly expensive due to the costumes. The show was supposed to be next month but due to the current situation it was moved to October.
My daughters class were due to leave in July (age 18) but are allowed to stay on until October to do their final show.
We have already paid a £250 deposit for the show and another deposit due soon. Classes are now done over zoom at a reduced cost of £30 per week but my daughter doesn’t enjoy the zoom lessons. If she chooses to leave now rather than July she will get £170 of the deposit back (two costumes already completed) but if she stays the whole £900 must be paid before July even if the show doesn’t go ahead and will not be refunded.
If the show was guaranteed to go ahead then she would definitely continue but as thats not 100% certain so she doesn’t know what to do. Plus her two best friends from her class have both decided to leave now, leaving my daughter and one other friend.
My husband would rather her leave now.
I am un sure, £900 is a lot of money to loose but she has danced since she was 2 so it will be heartbreaking to leave.
My daughter is worried about us forking out £30 a week for zoom lessons she doesn’t enjoy plus the possibility of us loosing £900 (on top of the weekly payments). She is also worried that when they do go back to the studio it won’t be the same without her best friends.
On the other hand, she absolutely loves dance at the studio (not on zoom) and loves being on stage. Everyone’s last show is always a big event so she was excited for that.

Do you think shows in theatres will be up and running by October?
I know no one can know for sure.
Its so hard bless her.
Its sad that money is playing such a big factor in this decision, we are far from rich, my husband is a teacher and we save all our money for our children and for florida. I think if she leaves now she could regret it. However she really doesn’t want to do the next two months of zoom lessons.

Sorry for the massive post 🙈
Time to leave I would say, everyone has to make tough choices when they are growing up, pandemic or no pandemic. Sorry but time to go
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I also think it is time to leave now. I wouldn’t bring “she has been dancing since she was 2” into the decision making process, she has had years of enjoyment and learning and that isn’t going to disappear because of this show.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I think the decision to leave dance classes after so long is always difficult. Without taking the show into the equation.

My nieces, didn’t just stop dance they just stopped “some” classes, one niece still does tap and will stop that when she goes to Uni hopefully later this year. is that an option to take part in just one dance or the two with finished costumes? To reduce the £900 outlay but keep her dream alive.

In my experience the best thing about the Shows are everything that goes with it, not just dancing, the rehearsals the sitting around having breaks with your friends and the total break from usual routine. She won’t get that whatever happens, so it won’t be the experience she has had in the past.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

I think now is a good time to leave although I appreciate she will be disappointed in the way her time there has finished without doing the final show.

If she starts Uni as I think you’ve mentioned before, hopefully by October she can get involved in dance there through joining a society which would also be a good way to meet other new students with similar interests.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My now 22yo daughter danced since she was 4 until she left at 17yo to go to University. It was a huge part of her life as she also helped teach the younger classes so I understand your daughters indecision. It does sound like the dance she is experiencing now is not the one she has grown up with and loved and I think she would be better leaving now whilst she remembers the positive side of it rather than resenting the classes she doesn’t enjoy in the hope of getting to do that final performance.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I do think shows will be up and running in theatres by October. HOWEVER, if this show is usually done in a commercial theatre, I would expect bug paying tours to take priority due to the money involved. Harsh, but business sense.

If she’s not enjoying it on zoom, she’ll resent it and it’s not worth that. I would cut the losses now to be honest. She could always join an adult Am Dram once things are more normal.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

30 quid for zoom...

we dont pay that a week for studio lessons.. Sat & mon

fwiw is she not off to uni anyway by october?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List