Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jan 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Disney will always be Disney.

Imagine sitting down with the very little ones and excitedly saying,

"We're going to Florida! "
"We're going to Universal! "

They'd be like "where's that"?

You say "We're going to Disney!" Its a bit different. People will still save, dream and scramble to take the little ones to Disney, despite any changes.

(Hey I'm a fan, you can tell)
They might well still go but they wont be staying on site judging from the reaction on here and the DIS boards. Where most of us fans are hanging out.

Ive already started looking at the option of being off site and the savings are huge. Even staying in a Disney partner hotel.

Edited at 10:26 AM.
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

2022 is going to be our first time visiting as a family and I have already spent the majority of 2020 researching. This news is disappointing, especially with other aspects up in the air such as the dining plans and fast passes. However, after a horrendous year for so many people/companies and sadly more to come I think big changes were inevitable.

At a guess, things will be put in place either by Disney (and there will be Mears - they’ve already released their statement) which will probably cost more but there will be something there. The decision we will then have to make is do we pay extra, do we go without some things or do we not go?

Personally we will still be going and staying onsite once (it has always been our plan to do a full Disney onsite stay once, and further visits will be offsite). Our children will arrive at Disney and will be amazed regardless of how we arrive. I can understand people who go regularly being very upset as change is often upsetting, but sadly I think this is necessary for Disney. Everyone will make their own decisions, but I just hope that by the time Disney release their 2022 holidays we will have a full picture of what exactly is available and what the extra costs are.

I have also read different reports on the train that’s coming. A lot of articles state 2022 whilst a lot of boards are saying 2023. It would be good to get a clear picture of what the plans are there. However I’d be surprised if Disney left us at the airport with no means to transfer to the hotels (I hope I’m not wrong!).
mrsd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Disney will always be Disney.

Imagine sitting down with the very little ones and excitedly saying,

"We're going to Florida! "
"We're going to Universal! "

They'd be like "where's that"?

You say "We're going to Disney!" Its a bit different. People will still save, dream and scramble to take the little ones to Disney, despite any changes.

(Hey I'm a fan, you can tell)
This is very true .. and what the Disney Empire will doubtless rely upon in future times.

Having said that, we Brits and our 14 day plus vacations only form a very small part of their income stream and there are many, many more important factors at play. I predict with confidence that you will see many Nationals from China and other emerging Nations in times to come.. as their more senior Social classes have oodles of disposable income.

Let us not kid ourselves that Disney is run by a benevolent, philanthropist called Walt who’s only aim in life is to give children a magical time. He himself was a ruthless businessman and his company have followed his model. That kids find it magical is a by product of their desire to make billions of Dollars for the shareholders. Disney, at the end of the day is not their for visitors. It is there to make money.. lots of money.

‘We’re going to Disney’ can still apply to children (who have no idea how things used to be) and the magic will still be there.. but for increasing numbers, only when they reach the Transportation Centre or the Car Parks ( which make Disney a fortune whilst costing just asphalt on the 30,000 hectares of land that they own (and will doubtless be expanded to cater for those that may now stay off site).

Demand for Disney has increased, both Parks and Resorts are/were close to capacity pre Covid. Why offer giveaways when Disney are probably confident of maintaining those figures, but also looking to extort the absolute maximum and concentrate on those who are likely to spend most whilst there? On top of this, Disney may have identified that demand for the parks even exceeds capacity, hence a need to control access to a greater extent... They may feel a need to give away absolutely nothing, such is the strength of their position.

Me? I only stayed on site the very first time and was underwhelmed whilst resentful of the costs of everything within the empire. Second visit was offsite where I found myself eating much better food with much better pricing and choice. On our last 5 visits to wonderful Orlando, we haven’t even entered a Disney Park.
I do not like the idea that certain events are off limits.
I hate the new FP system, designed for those who plan days in advance and aimed at Disney knowing just how busy certain things are at certain times, thus reducing staff numbers in quieter areas. I decide at breakfast, which park to visit that day after looking at the weather and consulting the family. This cannot work in Disney with success.

I am not the sort of customer that Disney want, taking part of their stretched park capacity whilst taking food in for picnics, leaving as it gets busy in order to eat off site and only occasionally returning later (with more goodies in my back pack). Pretty much all that Disney get out of me is a parking charge and an entry ticket. I am sure that others will happily take my place and give Disney far richer pickings!

Doubtless Disney are doing the right thing for their shareholders, by increasing margins by cutting costs wherever they can, but in the longer term, it may come back to haunt them (or not).

River Country and Discovery Island are probably the two theme parks that best sum up the ‘Real Disney’ (and their environmental credentials). They are the only two that I would still wish to visit.. but you can’t.. and if you do and Disney find out, they write/email you, banning you from all Disney property for life.. (Google it, if you have never heard of them)... and many of the more avid ‘Disneyites’ have not.

Edited at 12:06 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jaspercat10 View Post
Don't forget we are in the middle of a pandemic !. Disney parks has lost billions of dollars, Disney California has not been open for nearly a year. They have had to let over 68,000 employees go.
They will have to restructure and change their formats I think we just need to wait and see what they come up with.. and although people don't like change it happens..
Companies are on their knees especially hospitality and leisure, Disney is about to go from 25 percent capacity to 40 percent. I wouldn't want to run my business on those numbers.
We are all wanting everything to be the same as it was pre pandemic.. hang fire we don't know what is coming for 2022 yet
Consumers always want more bang for their buck, I bet no one offered to pay a Disney a bit more when they offered free magic magic bands, alcohol on the dining plan everyone took that as an extra..
Come March/ April the packages will either come out or wont for next year that's when you make your call.
Don't feel too sorry for disney as a company. The have billions in cash reserves and their executives are on full pay. Disney plus is a nice little earner and their stocks are sky high.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
No one said you had to 🤔
Again as someone pointed out, it's like you are trying to start an argument.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

We normally do a spilt stay between Disney and a villa.
Used the ME first time last trip as we arrived late and didn’t fancy driving from the airport.
I found it just about OK. There was a wait of around 30 minutes before the bus left and the whole thing felt like it took a long time compared to driving.
But it’s sad to see this option going away.

As others have said, all these ‘small’ changes accumulate to an overall reduction in the experience. To me it seems like Disney are only considering their domestic customers.
So don’t be surprises if the UK ultimate tickets is the next thing to go.
Imagine having to pay for the US tickets!
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

A lot of Americans do use the ME. When I lived out there, I flew from LAX to MCO and ended up getting a cheap deal at All Stars so I could use the ME and it was full of Americans. A lot of them do find it easier to just fly in get on the coach and get to their resort and many of them will only do Disney so having a car isn’t a big thing on their vacation either. I think the EMH might affect them more really because they have less time to cram stuff in than we do. From what I’ve seen online, they’re not happy either.

For me personally, if I could still get a good deal I’d stay on site but I’ve always preferred evening EMH and never really used morning ones. I’m happy to just Uber but it is definitely easier after a long flight to hop on the ME and you don’t have to worry about setting up your account on Uber/Lyft if you haven’t already and making sure you have good wifi or your data is on etc and I’ve definitely had my share of weird Uber drivers 😂.

I think it’s just a case of less perks to tempt me into paying extra for a Disney resort compared to staying off site. The extra cost could be justified when you were getting those little benefits.
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Again as someone pointed out, it's like you are trying to start an argument.
Not whatsoever... just unsure how or why people get so worked up / upset when their views or opinions are questioned.

This is a forum... an area for debate.

People have different views.

Have a great day
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Am I missing something?
Getting rid of the magical express but having a rail way link instead, especially If it’s like the Hong Kong version is no detriment at all really.
Stopping extra magic hours but having early on site access like they do in the other Disney parks around the world is much better. Stops certain parks getting crazy busy especially in the mornings and gives more options and flexibility for yourself.
I personally think this is better.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
Am I missing something?
Getting rid of the magical express but having a rail way link instead, especially If it’s like the Hong Kong version is no detriment at all really.
Stopping extra magic hours but having early on site access like they do in the other Disney parks around the world is much better. Stops certain parks getting crazy busy especially in the mornings and gives more options and flexibility for yourself.
I personally think this is better.
No you are not missing anything...

I completely agree. Not used rail links elsewhere but look forward to this option once it is in play... Although excited about getting a car next year too!

And Extra Magic Hours in all parks is a good idea. Get headliner done and well into 2nd or 3rd ride before any offsiters come into the park...

Works for me!