Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jan 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I am going two name two pairs - Morecambe and Wise, and the Two Ronnies. We used to love their shows and have not found anyone to replace them. Showing my age now.🤪
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Rich Hall and Ross Noble are 2 who I have seen live a few times and cried laughing. Love Noel Fielding and saw Mighty Boosh live which was just a riot as you'd expect, lots of crowd participation.

Was front row at an Al Murray gig, a couple about 4 seats from us walked out and didn't come back (they were full on 80's rockers and he ripped them but surely you expect that on the front row? ) and I ended up on stage doing the conga with Al!

Saw Lee Mack live and he was rubbish. Got angry with a guy heckling and just wasn't funny.
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

William Melvin Hicks...

Honorable mentions for

Bob Mortimer - comedy gold on WILTY
Sean Hughes
Jack Dee
Billy Connolly
Ross Noble
Mickey Flannigan
Kevin Bridges

to name but a few

James Acaster is quality in a mad / weird way

Edited at 04:51 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigseve View Post
I saw James Acaster a few years ago when he supported Milton Jones in Dunfermline. He was awful. At least one person walked out.

Seen him on tv plenty times since then and think he’s actually very funny. Maybe he just had a bad night in Dunfermline.
at first i didnt get on with acaster... saw his first netflix special and thought it was ok, but it didnt really click with me... its only after seeing him on taskmaster and a few other shows revisited his stuff, and his recent special was *fantastic*

definitely worth another try, lots of comedians have bad nights (or audiences that arent up for what they are saying)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
William Melvin Hicks...
watching his stuff from nearly THIRTY YEARS AGO and it is just as relevant, funny and scathing now as it was back then. amazing stuff.

still angry with myself i didnt get to see him when he played nottingham (i cant remember why, but it would have been a good reason i didnt go... probably sold out before i found out about it) a couple of years before he died

i assume you're aware of doug stanhope? i like to think of him as a more nihilist version of bill...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
watching his stuff from nearly THIRTY YEARS AGO and it is just as relevant, funny and scathing now as it was back then. amazing stuff.

still angry with myself i didnt get to see him when he played nottingham (i cant remember why, but it would have been a good reason i didnt go... probably sold out before i found out about it) a couple of years before he died

i assume you're aware of doug stanhope? i like
to think of him as a more nihilist version of bill...
Imagine his take on 9/11, trump , covid etc etc etc

i saw him live at newcastle university in about 1990? ish

he did a 3 hour set.. wasnt drinking by then but it was phenomenal...

dead at 32... to quote Bill "we live in a world where john lennon was murdered but barry manilow continues to put out albums... get in the car i know where wham live..."

Have seen Doug Stanhope work on charlie brooker, will have to have a watch for more on youtube
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Have seen Doug Stanhope work on charlie brooker, will have to have a watch for more on youtube
theres a bunch of his stuff on amazon prime and netflix IIRC

start with his more recent output, his recent european show he did where he does an advance apology for getting cancelled is genius

amazon/gp/video/se...anhope&ie=UTF8

netflix/be-en/title/70279935
Old 14 Jan 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Comedy is subjective - I think I have very different humour tastes to most Dibbers.

I’ve seen live:

Al Murray
Michael McIntyre
Jo Brand
Chubby Brown
Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer

Found Michael McIntyre a bit boring tbh though funny at times

Enjoyed the others, but favourite is Al Murray and we see him on every tour (always front row or two so end up engaging with him).

Chubby Brown - won’t see him again tbh (was years ago).

Others I like but haven’t seen are Rich Hall, Eddie Izzard and Julian Clary.

Loved watching Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy as stand ups back in the 80s too.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List