Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 29 Dec 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Banff to Jasper in Winter

Has anyone made the trip between Banff and Jasper in winter?

We are looking to book a 2022 skiing trip, and we love Banff. I'm just wondering whether we could do a split stay with Jasper, but I read the Icefields Parkway can be closed for days at a time. Is this a common thing?

I'd appreciate any experiences
Old 29 Dec 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I wouldn’t attempt the drive even if the parkway is open. We have been to Banff a few times snowboarding, and also went on a road trip a few years back in the summer (Banff/lake Louise/Jasper). The parkway is very long. There are loads of beautiful little places to stop off, but no services at all, apart from Saskatchewan river crossing, and the ice fields centre (which I think might be closed in winter). Also, I’m not sure if there’s mobile service. Our summer drive took about six hours drive, including stops,
As far as skiing in Banff area, we haven’t been for a number of years. But you can ski at Sunshine village, mt norquay, and lake Louise. You get a tri area lift pass, and I think that includes the ski bus (it did when we went). Nor quay is small, and challenging, but the closest to Banff. Sunshine is maybe 20 mins on the bus, then a long cable car up the mountain. It’s huge, and our favourite area. Lake Louise is I’m guessing 45-60 mins on the bus. We found lake Louise icy every time we went. Maybe we were unlucky? Also a big area. I’d suggest also checking out where the hotels are in Banff - the Main Street is so long, you don’t want to be walking miles to restaurants in the evening. And it gets super cold too, so take hand warmers etc.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
I wouldn’t attempt the drive even if the parkway is open. We have been to Banff a few times snowboarding, and also went on a road trip a few years back in the summer (Banff/lake Louise/Jasper). The parkway is very long. There are loads of beautiful little places to stop off, but no services at all, apart from Saskatchewan river crossing, and the ice fields centre (which I think might be closed in winter). Also, I’m not sure if there’s mobile service. Our summer drive took about six hours drive, including stops,
As far as skiing in Banff area, we haven’t been for a number of years. But you can ski at Sunshine village, mt norquay, and lake Louise. You get a tri area lift pass, and I think that includes the ski bus (it did when we went). Nor quay is small, and challenging, but the closest to Banff. Sunshine is maybe 20 mins on the bus, then a long cable car up the mountain. It’s huge, and our favourite area. Lake Louise is I’m guessing 45-60 mins on the bus. We found lake Louise icy every time we went. Maybe we were unlucky? Also a big area. I’d suggest also checking out where the hotels are in Banff - the Main Street is so long, you don’t want to be walking miles to restaurants in the evening. And it gets super cold too, so take hand warmers etc.
Thank you. We've been to Banff before, which is why we wondered about a split stay, as we've done a lot of the non-ski trips. But I don't like the sound of the Icefields Parkway, so we will stick with Banff and maybe a night in Calgary at the end so we can do some shopping.
Old 9 Jan 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Thank you. We've been to Banff before, which is why we wondered about a split stay, as we've done a lot of the non-ski trips. But I don't like the sound of the Icefields Parkway, so we will stick with Banff and maybe a night in Calgary at the end so we can do some shopping.
Calgary has a great mall - Crossiron Mills. I don’t know if you’ve been there before, but it’s pretty decent.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
Calgary has a great mall - Crossiron Mills. I don’t know if you’ve been there before, but it’s pretty decent.
We didn’t think much of that one last time, we spent the day there before our flight home. Gonna try the Chinook Centre this time
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi Kate

We have skied Banff many times - and also done Jasper too.

We love Banff and just this afternoon I am looking at options for next year! (Lets all cross our fingers! )

WE have stayed in various Banff hotels and like Porridge says you really need to pick somewhere relatively close to town - we have stayed at the Rundlestone and it was a LONG walk back after dinner at -35!

There is also lots of daytime activities - we like dogsledding and going to the Ice Hockey in Calgary, we have also watched local ice hockey and taken night walks with a ranger!

The skiing is second to none - and if you can get to the slope early during the week you can easily ski till lunchtime without seeing anyone!

Luckily we have never had any issues with ice - although daytime temperatures in January can be as low as -25!

Jasper is a LOONGG way - especially straight from Calgary.
I know Crystal do a split stay - so you wouldn't have to worry about driving the ICefields Parkway yourself.

We have done it several times - but only once in the daylight. IT is certainly spectacular but in the winter I think you need to take a full survival kit with you by law!

Having done it mostly at night full praise to the drivers when we saw it in the daytime!

Jasper in itself is lovely - but a much smaller ski area. You can probably easily do most of it in a week.
The town itself is great - there are lots of little cafes and you can walk up the winter road to the Chateau Jasper for a hot chocolate.
We also once had to wait for the train to cross - I think we counted 120 containers! It was a long wait.

You will however often see a lot more wildlife in Jasper especially if it is cold as they come into town for the warmth.

Id say Jasper is worth it as part of a bigger trip but probably not more than once - unless its a bargain!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi Kate

We have skied Banff many times - and also done Jasper too.

We love Banff and just this afternoon I am looking at options for next year! (Lets all cross our fingers! )

WE have stayed in various Banff hotels and like Porridge says you really need to pick somewhere relatively close to town - we have stayed at the Rundlestone and it was a LONG walk back after dinner at -35!

There is also lots of daytime activities - we like dogsledding and going to the Ice Hockey in Calgary, we have also watched local ice hockey and taken night walks with a ranger!

The skiing is second to none - and if you can get to the slope early during the week you can easily ski till lunchtime without seeing anyone!

Luckily we have never had any issues with ice - although daytime temperatures in January can be as low as -25!

Jasper is a LOONGG way - especially straight from Calgary.
I know Crystal do a split stay - so you wouldn't have to worry about driving the ICefields Parkway yourself.

We have done it several times - but only once in the daylight. IT is certainly spectacular but in the winter I think you need to take a full survival kit with you by law!

Having done it mostly at night full praise to the drivers when we saw it in the daytime!

Jasper in itself is lovely - but a much smaller ski area. You can probably easily do most of it in a week.
The town itself is great - there are lots of little cafes and you can walk up the winter road to the Chateau Jasper for a hot chocolate.
We also once had to wait for the train to cross - I think we counted 120 containers! It was a long wait.

You will however often see a lot more wildlife in Jasper especially if it is cold as they come into town for the warmth.

Id say Jasper is worth it as part of a bigger trip but probably not more than once - unless its a bargain!
We've booked Banff for next season - 10 nights at Hidden Ridge, from 10th January, with my parents, my brother and his girlfriend. We've used our usual agent, Ski Safari, and got a really good price (about the same PP as our 2019 trip).

Hidden Ridge is out of town but we stayed there last time and loved it - plus my brother and I aren't big drinkers, so one of us is always happy to drive back after dinner.

I'm really hoping it goes ahead!

Edited at 08:24 PM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
We've booked Banff for next season - 10 nights at Hidden Ridge, from 10th January, with my parents, my brother and his girlfriend. We've used our usual agent, Ski Safari, and got a really good price (about the same PP as our 2019 trip).

Hidden Ridge is out of town but we stayed there last time and loved it - plus my brother and I aren't big drinkers, so one of us is always happy to drive back after dinner.

I'm really hoping it goes ahead!
Hidden Ridge looks lovey - no good for the 2 of us though

We have missed the last 2 years so really cannot wait to get back on the slopes!

I agree - fingers crossed!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List