Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

I give blood regularly, but had never considered platelets until a thread on the Dibb, before Christmas!
My late dad had a transfusion during chemo, and my son had one at three weeks (he was 11 weeks prem) and until the thread, I hadn't realised that they both probably had platelets.
After reading the thread, I "registered my interest" so my veins are going to be tested at my next session in March.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Well done, very impressive! I donate blood but I’ve never been asked about platelets. My blood is used on neonatal wards as apparently I’m negative for having some virus that’s common. I’m nowhere near 100 though!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LexiBantam View Post
I give blood regularly, but had never considered platelets until a thread on the Dibb, before Christmas!
My late dad had a transfusion during chemo, and my son had one at three weeks (he was 11 weeks prem) and until the thread, I hadn't realised that they both probably had platelets.
After reading the thread, I "registered my interest" so my veins are going to be tested at my next session in March.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Oh I’m so pleased ! Fingers crossed for your veins ! Let us know what happens next.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I used to regularly give blood until my first cancer in 1990, still disappoints me that I can no longer contribute to our blood bank.
Old 7 Mar 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I gave blood today and my veins were checked out in terms of donating platelets. Unfortunately they’re not big enough, so I’ll have to stick to regular whole blood donations. I’m a bit disappointed, but at least now I know. The nurse did say bodies change over time, and I’ll be asked to check again in a couple of years. Everything else has got bigger as I get older, so maybe my veins will too 😂
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m a regular blood donor (gave my 59th pint on Thursday). I’ve asked about donating platelets but can’t as apparently I fall under the minimum weight.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

I’m due to make my 49th blood donation on Tuesday. We have a friend who donates platelets regularly, he passed his 200th donation recently.
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Thank you for posting this and congratulations on such a fantastic achievement.
I must admit I didn’t know much about platelets until very recently.
My dad was diagnosed with Acute Myloid leukaemia at the end of January and has received lots of platelets as well as blood
It’s thanks to kind donations that’s hes doing so well.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Congratulations. 🥳🥳🥳

That is a tremendously commitment to helping others.
Definitely walking the walking, you are an inspiration to all.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good luck Linda with your next session tomorrow!