Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Dec 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Not Stress Colitis in my dog. Turns out it’s pancreatitis!

My poor Ozzy our 4 year old black lab has stress colitis. ☹️

He’s had diarrhoea for 4 days and has been having accidents in the night which is unusual.

He’s now started being sick which is mostly frothy, but there a some white chunks in some of them though and shaking before hand.

We spoke to the vet who diagnosed colitis and has given us two sets of tablets, special food and this stuff to squeeze on his food.

If any of you lovely Dibber's can give any advice he is drinking a bit but he’s not eating his food (which have the tablets in) and wondering if there’s any other way of helping him? We’ve managed to get the first lot of tablets into him, but not sure if they’ve stayed down? He obviously needs them to help get better.

Is there any thing else we can do?

I’m worried about him as I hate seeing him unwell.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023

Edited at 09:41 PM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Our whippet x greyhounds is prone to colitis (as is the breed). He's been prescribed special food, but I was a little apprehensive about it given our experience with such food with our cat in the past. I experimented a little and found that cooked chicken, mixed with pumpkin (you can find canned pumpkin in the American section in the supermarket), worked very well for him and settled his bowels within days. Obviously, that wouldn't work as long term nutrition, but a few days it should be okay and really worked for us. I hope your dog feels better soon.

We now feed him a single protein (chicken) dog food with potato/pumpkin
zooplus/shop/dogs/...le_meat/556911
zooplus/shop/dogs/...sensible/46853
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Our whippet x greyhounds is prone to colitis (as is the breed). He's been prescribed special food, but I was a little apprehensive about it given our experience with such food with our cat in the past. I experimented a little and found that cooked chicken, mixed with pumpkin (you can find canned pumpkin in the American section in the supermarket), worked very well for him and settled his bowels within days. Obviously, that wouldn't work as long term nutrition, but a few days it should be okay and really worked for us. I hope your dog feels better soon.

We now feed him a single protein (chicken) dog food with potato/pumpkin
zooplus/shop/dogs/...le_meat/556911
zooplus/shop/dogs/...sensible/46853

Thank you for that. 👍🏼

His dinner has sat there for the last hour or so as he’s not feeling hungry or feels sick? I know he likes chicken so hopefully he’ll try some of that, maybe tomorrow if he’s still not eating. He’s a fussy eater anyway so this is difficult. Just need to get the tablets into him and keep them down. 🤔

Kat
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

It's horrible seeing them unwell. Murphy isn't particularly picky, but was clearly off his food and was struggling to keep anything down (at both ends). It was a big thing for me to buy and cook chicken for him because we don't eat meat - I had to google how to cook chicken... it really did make a big difference for him. I only fed him a small amount at first, little and often. At first, chicken only, and then mixed with pumpkin.

Tablets go down well with a little peanut butter? It's a tricky one if he's throwing them up undigested.

Is he drinking?
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

It's horrible seeing them unwell. Murphy isn't particularly picky, but was clearly off his food and was struggling to keep anything down (at both ends). It was a big thing for me to buy and cook chicken for him because we don't eat meat - I had to google how to cook chicken... it really did make a big difference for him. I only fed him a small amount at first, little and often. At first, chicken only, and then mixed with pumpkin.

Tablets go down well with a little peanut butter? It's a tricky one if he's throwing them up undigested.

Is he drinking?
Good idea about the peanut butter I’ll try that. Well done on cooking the chicken that can’t have been easy but I bet your dog appreciated your effort. 😍

Yes he’s drinking but I’m not sure he’s drinking to make himself sick? He came in from the garden with slaver hanging off his mouth with what looked like tiny twigs and leaves? I’m wondering if he’s eating things that he thinks will make his tummy better? Does that sound familiar? I’m a bit worried that he’s got something obstructing somewhere along the line or if it’s just the colitis getting worse?

He’s looking really sorry for himself and just wants to be outside all the time. 😢

Kat
Old 22 Dec 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry, I'm really not sure, but you could always give your vet a call and ask if you're concerned about his behaviour. Our pet insurance has a 24 hour help line so perhaps your insurance has a similar facility? I think if your vet had any suspicion of an obstruction he would have carried further tests - but keep a close eye on him, an obstruction is an emergency. Murphy never had a suspected obstruction, just episodes of inflammation. He also had a parasite once that made him very poorly and was initially misdiagnosed as a number of conditions (it was very easily - and cheaply - treated with Panacur). I hope Ozzy keeps his medication down and makes a speedy recovery.
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Sorry, I'm really not sure, but you could always give your vet a call and ask if you're concerned about his behaviour. Our pet insurance has a 24 hour help line so perhaps your insurance has a similar facility? I think if your vet had any suspicion of an obstruction he would have carried further tests - but keep a close eye on him, an obstruction is an emergency. Murphy never had a suspected obstruction, just episodes of inflammation. He also had a parasite once that made him very poorly and was initially misdiagnosed as a number of conditions (it was very easily - and cheaply - treated with Panacur). I hope Ozzy keeps his medication down and makes a speedy recovery.
Well Ozzy got worse and started slavering and wouldn’t come in from the garden, so I rang the vet again and he told us to come in as the slavering isn’t a symptom of colitis.

I’m so glad I did as it turns out he has pancreatitis which is pretty serious. He had a blood test and his levels were twice what they should be. They gave him some anti sickness and a antibiotic injection. He has to go back in at 8.30 in the morning and May need a drip? (But hopefully not) He’s only allowed a bit of water little and often, no food at all.

We are going to keep an eye on him trough the night, I’ve already told my teen girls they need to do a couple of hours each.😴

I think he’ll be ok (hopefully caught it quickly) he’s now just laying quiet in the hallway and hasn’t been sick for a while. 🤞🏼

Thank you for replying it’s nice to know someone’s interested. 😂👍🏼

Kat
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Oh I'm sure he'll be okay, it can be managed by the vets, not nice to see him like that though ☹️ xx

Edited at 09:49 PM.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Poor love,my mother in laws dog ,bailey, had this a few weeks ago,she was on a drip for a day or two but thankfully fine now,shes a 13 year old Yorkshire terrier.Hope he's better soon.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

I have been through this with my dog, she has episodes with her tummy and has always had issues with eating

It wasn’t actually pancreatitis but was tested for it as similar symptoms

My doggy went on a drip for 2 days and had the anti sickness jab and antibiotics, they wouldn’t let her out until she had eaten

Hope your dog improves soon xxx
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List