Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Dec 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Frozenice
Proud to wear my Ears

Colleague blaming me for a problem that she caused

I work in a marketing department for a major UK company.

Back in June our department received an email from a cereal manufacturer asking if our company would sponsor and provide the prizes for an On-Pack Promotion they we're going to run.

After evaluating the opportunity I responded to the email and declined the opportunity as I could see that it wasn't a strategic brand fit for our company. The next day my colleague (same level as me so not more senior) responds to the email from the cereal manufacturer and says that we are interested in the opportunity! My colleague knew that the opportunity wasn't a good brand fit for our company and lied about various parts of the opportunity to get it approved by our internal stakeholders.

Since June the promotion had ran and our company provided the prizes and generated no return on investment for our company and now my colleague is saying I did it all and that I caused it! I have a meeting with our Chief Marketing Officer tomorrow and he expects me to apologise and explain why I did it when I didn't. The Chief Marketing Officer has already spoke to the colleague and she has denied everything and is blaming me and the Chief Marketing Officer believes her.

My colleague is accusing me of forging my email (the email where I declined the opportunity) to avoid the blame and is accusing me of forging the email of her accepting the opportunity.
Frozenice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Firstly welcome to the dibb,
While I understand you have a problem, I'm not certain that a holiday forum is the best place to get legal employment advice. I would contact your union.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Frozenice
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Firstly welcome to the dibb,
While I understand you have a problem, I'm not certain that a holiday forum is the best place to get legal employment advice. I would contact your union.
I'm not in a union
Frozenice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

If you have the email proof I think that's an end of it! Do you have a copy of colleagues email?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Frozenice
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
If you have the email proof I think that's an end of it! Do you have a copy of colleagues email?
Yep I have her email as I was CC'd into it. She's accusing me of forging the emails though.
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Presumably you have your email copies still in your sent folder .
Present the facts and explain the process (including when you discovered your colleagues actions and what action you took if any at that point)
She has made a serious accusation accusing you of forging emails which needs to be addressed in the same meeting.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Frozenice
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Presumably you have your email copies still in your sent folder .
Present the facts and explain the process (including when you discovered your colleagues actions and what action you took if any at that point)
She has made a serious accusation accusing you of forging emails which needs to be addressed in the same meeting.
Yep I still have the emails in my sent folder.
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I work in a marketing department for a major UK company.

Back in June our department received an email from a cereal manufacturer asking if our company would sponsor and provide the prizes for an On-Pack Promotion they we're going to run.

After evaluating the opportunity I responded to the email and declined the opportunity as I could see that it wasn't a strategic brand fit for our company. The next day my colleague (same level as me so not more senior) responds to the email from the cereal manufacturer and says that we are interested in the opportunity! My colleague knew that the opportunity wasn't a good brand fit for our company and lied about various parts of the opportunity to get it approved by our internal stakeholders.

Since June the promotion had ran and our company provided the prizes and generated no return on investment for our company and now my colleague is saying I did it all and that I caused it! I have a meeting with our Chief Marketing Officer tomorrow and he expects me to apologise and explain why I did it when I didn't. The Chief Marketing Officer has already spoke to the colleague and she has denied everything and is blaming me and the Chief Marketing Officer believes her.

My colleague is accusing me of forging my email (the email where I declined the opportunity) to avoid the blame and is accusing me of forging the email of her accepting the opportunity.
If you work for a large company you will have an IT department and they will have a log of every email transmission.

They will be able to verify authenticity of date sent of each email and the IP address of the machine the email was sent from.

Now this doesn't preclude you/her having sat at each other's computer and sent an email "pretending" to be the other person, it will prove that an email was created and sent at a specific time.

This is included in all corporate email systems as email is used as a legal message system nowadays

I'd remind your colleague that the proof you sent the email when you did is available to the IT department and she will be in much more trouble if you have to prove she lied.

Give her the chance to come clean in advance
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I would immediately raise a grievance claim against this other employee.

They are accusing you of fraud and damaging your reputation.

If you work for a major UK company you will have IT services that can prove these emails were not forged(or were forged... ).
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

If you have your emails, is that not enough proof, and surely she would have her emails still on her computer?

Hopefully you can proof shes lying, shameful behavior.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List