Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 26 Jan 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Just finished watching this, and it was so good. Brilliant acting. Great music. Cried a lot. It has certainly made me realize how this horrible disease affected the gay community. I only hope that now, so many years later, we can all just accept people for being just the person that they are, no matter what their sexual preference.
Well worth watching. Thank you to MG for bringing this to our attention.x
You are so very welcome. I am pleased you enjoyed it and got so much from it. There is still much to do to end the perceived stigma of living with HIV and also with being LGBT++ but as a Nation we have come a heck of a long way in a relatively short period of time. Its got to remember the past and the fight of some very brave individuals which this TV series does justice too but also keep mindful that it is easy to unpick all the good that has been done which we dont have to look too far (and I wont get political or name one newspaper but you know who and what i mean)

Thank YOU for your support xx
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

I’ve just finished watching this too and think it’s an incredibly important piece of drama to watch. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I was a teenager in London in the 80s. My dearest friend was a young gay man and I can see a lot of him in Richie’s character. His dad completely rejected him and his mum humoured the dad. Even though I was familiar with the gay scene, went to clubs and drag shows with my friend and his friends I STILL realise that I actually had very little idea of just how difficult society made it for these young people. I thought I knew a lot about Aids but watching this program has still shocked me - I knew nothing about people being locked up nor Aids causes dementia. And I considered myself well informed. The programme made me really question myself - a whole generation of people abandoned by society. Especially with Covid about now - I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be if Covid only affected one section of the community and the rest of society treated those suffering like lepers.
One of my daughters came out to me at 18.
My biggest and only regret was that she went through her earlier teens not feeling able to tell me. But she’s now openly and proudly gay to all her family and friends . The world is changing but we absolutely owe it to this betrayed generation of LGBT people to make sure that we see and treat every individual as a precious human being.
I’m rambling. But I know what I’m trying to say.
It’s a sin is brilliant and a testimony and legacy to the lives lived and those lives lost.

Edited at 12:10 AM.
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida1990
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by daffodil92 View Post
I’ve just finished watching this too and think it’s an incredibly important piece of drama to watch. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I was a teenager in London in the 80s. My dearest friend was a young gay man and I can see a lot of him in Richie’s character. His dad completely rejected him and his mum humoured the dad. Even though I was familiar with the gay scene, went to clubs and drag shows with my friend and his friends I STILL realise that I actually had very little idea of just how difficult society made it for these young people. I thought I knew a lot about Aids but watching this program has still shocked me - I knew nothing about people being locked up nor Aids causes dementia. And I considered myself well informed. The programme made me really question myself - a whole generation of people abandoned by society. Especially with Covid about now - I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be if Covid only affected one section of the community and the rest of society treated those suffering like lepers.
My biggest and only regret was that she went through her earlier teens not feeling able to tell me. But she’s now openly and proudly gay to all her family and friends . The world is changing but we absolutely owe it to this betrayed generation of LGBT people to make sure that we see and treat every individual as a precious human being.
It’s a sin is brilliant and a testimony and legacy to the lives lived and those lives lost.
Beautifully said...❤️❤️❤️
Florida1990 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daffodil92 View Post

What a truly wonderful post.

Like you I lived though those dark times and also like you had no idea that AIDS could cause dementia (that was a huge shock) or indeed cancer. I am kinda ashamed of my ignorance today. HIV should now be considered a chronic condition like say diabetes/asthma. It can be effectively managed through drugs and indeed prevented by taking PReP but unfortunately stigma are still very evident today - even amongst the LGBT community towards those who are HIV+. I really. Hope (ad really think) some of those prejudices will be gone now this show has aired - I guess the major concern is those homophobic bigots - the ones that should watch it, would have given it a wide berth (afraid of own ignorance maybe) and best we can do is keep talking about it ... its great children growing up today in progressive household and schools have a better chance of become more compassionate adults.xx

Edited at 10:04 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I thought it was beautifully written..There were so many things I didn’t know and I’m so very glad I watched it .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

My hubby mentioned this series to me yesterday, a lot of his friends from Mountview Theatre School (40 years ago!) have been watching it, but it had passed me by completely. I'm really glad he mentioned it though, and I've set it to record, as I LOVED Queer as Folk - watched it with my teenage daughter at the time and although my ex-husband hated it, (he was very homophobic), we ignored him and watched it together. It was wonderful, so vibrant, exciting and way more realistic than anything we had seen before. So I'm really looking forward to this series now, although going on what others are saying, I think it will make me cry …..
Old 27 Jan 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
My hubby mentioned this series to me yesterday, a lot of his friends from Mountview Theatre School (40 years ago!) have been watching it, but it had passed me by completely. I'm really glad he mentioned it though, and I've set it to record, as I LOVED Queer as Folk - watched it with my teenage daughter at the time and although my ex-husband hated it, (he was very homophobic), we ignored him and watched it together. It was wonderful, so vibrant, exciting and way more realistic than anything we had seen before. So I'm really looking forward to this series now, although going on what others are saying, I think it will make me cry …..
I hope (and think) you will enjoy it. Let us know what you think ?
Old 27 Jan 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I always thought the film Philadelphia showed the early prejudices out there ( and the best song from Springsteen imo). A very powerful film indeed. It was a frightening time in the 80’s when AIDS emerged. Not helped by the Government information policy at the time.

Thankfully we have moved on in a positive fashion now and as other posters have stated people can lead much better lives now. Long May it continue.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

I’ve just binge watched and loved it x
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
I’ve just binge watched and loved it x
Its hard not to binge watch it - I lasted lass than 24hrs from watching the first episode then binged the rest. But I will rewatch it one episode as week “live” viewing x