Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Summerhouse and spiders!

Hi

Anyone with a summerhouse - how do you keep it spider free?

We are ordering a lovely new summerhouse/log cabin for the garden.
Great
But our old summerhouse currently gets spiders. granted it was older and refurbished from the previous house owner so was not very airtight with small gaps under doorway etc.

I plan to go in each day we use it and 'dust' the walls roof etc with a feather duster or a hand held vacuum. Will that be enough?
As we will have mains electricity in it, I've thought about those plug in things that deter spiders etc? Any good?
I want to furnish this summerhouse properly with soft furnishings but the idea of nooks & crannies makes me come over a bit sweaty!

Anyone with tried and tested tips?
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Watching with interest- we have a lovely summer house, hardly used as hubby and daughter refuse to go for fear of the spiders!
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

I don't think you will have a problem with a newly built one. We got a log cabin a few months ago and they really are built to a great standard; airtight/insulation/double glazing etc. No gaps anywhere for anything to get in. Well I hope it doesn't become a problem down the road lol. Give it a good treatment to start with, use a good stain/paint and get it sealed up asap.
I'm sure it's possible to get a few just like in the house from an open window or door but I don't think you need to worry.

Now my garden shed is another story
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My ex boss has her walls sprayed by a pest control company, she gets it done every so many months.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
I don't think you will have a problem with a newly built one. We got a log cabin a few months ago and they really are built to a great standard; airtight/insulation/double glazing etc. No gaps anywhere for anything to get in. Well I hope it doesn't become a problem down the road lol. Give it a good treatment to start with, use a good stain/paint and get it sealed up asap.
I'm sure it's possible to get a few just like in the house from an open window or door but I don't think you need to worry.

Now my garden shed is another story
Hi!
The one we are looking at is actually called a 'log cabin' (10ft x8ft) but it's not like yours, which sounds a lot better spec!
This one is not insulated or double glazed but we just want it for extending summer evenings in the garden

We do intend to paint it a few good coats with good 'shed paint' to match the rest of the garden structures/decor in a cream colour we currently favour, and seal it up wherever we can

Do you have soft furnishings in yours?
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
My ex boss has her walls sprayed by a pest control company, she gets it done every so many months.
Oh I'd be interested in that!
i've just googled something called Spiderex, I'm willing to try most anything to keep it spider free!
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I hate to say it, but it's in the garden, you will get spiders! They will just get in somehow.

You'll just need to dust, sweep and keep as clean as possible. You do get a spider killer spray. I bought this last year. Not sure how good it is though.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

In winter spiders go inside simple nature.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Buy a lizard.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
I hate to say it, but it's in the garden, you will get spiders! They will just get in somehow.

You'll just need to dust, sweep and keep as clean as possible. You do get a spider killer spray. I bought this last year. Not sure how good it is though.
Intend to dust and sweep - a LOT!

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
In winter spiders go inside simple nature.
Yes I know that of course, but I want to keep the spider population down as far as possible, and we won't be using it in winter