Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbell5
Imagineer

Thanks everyone so really great advice and tips. Very much appreciated. xx
tinkerbell5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm a long time target member at SW but I've put on about 6kg since the summer. I don't like the zoom group meetings and balked at paying €10 a week to weigh myself at home so I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and decided to use that to calorie count.

It's working well so far and I've lost 1.7kg in my first week, don't expect to keep that up as first week losses are always higher than normal but I'm happy knowing that if I stick to it I'll shift the excess weight. What I like about the MFP app is that you input parameters about yourself and your goals and it determines your calorie allowance. I've linked my Apple Watch to the app so it records my exercise and increases my allowance based on how many calories I've burned. You can scan the barcode on most foods to get the calorie information and store or import your own recipes so the more you use it the less work you have to put into your food database.

The thing that shocked me the most though was just how many calories are in a lot of SW free foods, we're told that we can eat as much free food as we like but when I worked out the calories in what I'd normally eat I was amazed at how high they were, MFP has made me think carefully about what I eat and portion size which is a good thing.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
There is an app I downloaded based on a dibbers review, and it has been very helpful. It was a small fee for the app but wasn’t loads.
It’s a virtual gastric band ‘hypnosis’ but really is a mindfulness/meditation session.

I listen to this once a day, usually between my first and second alarms.
There are guidelines which I do follow loosely.

Basically only eat when hungry
If you think you are hungry have a glass of water and wait 10 mins before eating
Eat slowly, and mindfully and stop when no longer hungry (before full)
Leave something on your plate at each meal to try to discourage the need to always finish what you have

I do calorie count alongside, which isn’t recommended, but I’m very hypothyroid so losing weight is a fine balance, but I do find the listening sessions helps me to drink lots of water, not snack unnecessarily etc
Old 24 Jan 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I do a combo of calorie-counting, less carbs and portion control.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I started Fast800 (Michael Mosley) in April 2019. I lost most of three stones in 3-4 months. Dropped from a size 18 to a 14 as well. I had a maintenance break from August 19 thru to May 20, and restarted to support DH who was doing the Blood Sugar diet (same plan without the time restricted eating). At the start I had put a few pounds back on, but lost them again in the first two weeks and went on to drop another stone and another dress size. Now a comfortable 12 for the first time since my teens. It’s essentially Mediterranean style (lowish carb, moderate healthy fats, highish protein) with intermittent fasting and calorie counting during the early stages. It’s worked for me and feels like I can continue eating these foods for life. I feel full of health and delighted with my new figure. The first week is the hardest, but push through that and it suddenly becomes easy. The food tastes great too, and no weird artificial ingredients like fat free yogurt/fromage frais which I swear I will never eat again. I used to do SW but it stopped working for me - also it’s so difficult long term because of boring food. The best thing about this? I can have real full fat cheese in small amounts. I don’t know how old the OP is, but I think age has been a big factor in SW not working any more. As I have gotten older I am less able to tolerate lots of carbs. As soon as I cut them right down I find I just don’t need as much food to feel satisfied. Hope this helps OP.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019

Edited at 12:06 AM.
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I do calorie counting and some intermittent fasting . Its the only thing that works for me.
I do not find it hard with the kids , three boys who eat constantly it feels, but once into a groove with it its great. I find fast days easier than eating days.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lumpy
slightly serious Dibber

Another fan of Team RH here. Great information from Ritchie and the team so you learn a lot about nutrition and it is the only one that has worked for me and enabled me to keep the weight off long term also doesn't feel like a diet as there is always room for treats.
Lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
EarlyBird
Being a bit Goofy

Calorie counting all the way for me. I’ve done slimming world\weight watchers in the past but for me they are not sustainable. With calorie counting I can eat pretty much what I like within my calorie allowance. The key is to set a realistic calorie target - it’s tempting to go too low so that the weight comes off faster but it’s detrimental as if you are starving yourself as your calories are low then you will end up binging or giving up. Slow and steady weight loss wins the race!
EarlyBird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I'm a long time target member at SW but I've put on about 6kg since the summer. I don't like the zoom group meetings and balked at paying €10 a week to weigh myself at home so I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and decided to use that to calorie count.

It's working well so far and I've lost 1.7kg in my first week, don't expect to keep that up as first week losses are always higher than normal but I'm happy knowing that if I stick to it I'll shift the excess weight. What I like about the MFP app is that you input parameters about yourself and your goals and it determines your calorie allowance. I've linked my Apple Watch to the app so it records my exercise and increases my allowance based on how many calories I've burned. You can scan the barcode on most foods to get the calorie information and store or import your own recipes so the more you use it the less work you have to put into your food database.

The thing that shocked me the most though was just how many calories are in a lot of SW free foods, we're told that we can eat as much free food as we like but when I worked out the calories in what I'd normally eat I was amazed at how high they were, MFP has made me think carefully about what I eat and portion size which is a good thing.
How did you link my fitness pal to your watch? The app is on my watch but it doesn’t pick up my exercise or anything?
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
How did you link my fitness pal to your watch? The app is on my watch but it doesn’t pick up my exercise or anything?
I can link MFP to Garmin, so it gets the steps and exercise date from my watch. On the MFP app, if you press "more" in the bottom right hand corner and select "apps and devices" there are loads of apps you can link to. I think its probably going to be more effective if you have a fitness tracker like a Garmin, Fitbit, Apple Watch etc.