Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jan 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We think there is sn exemtion for talk shows and classical music! What a ridiculous rule! You would think our hospital had other worries during the biggest pandemic in living history! I will just play through earphones! Today i was on my own stuffing envelopes and filing ( my job is sooo exciting at times) couldve done with a little distraction.
Old 27 Jan 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Does the radio not pay to play the music? If the individuals were in their car, they wouldn’t need a license. If those same 4 people are in an office, they do. How do the creators of this music get their ‘cut’? How can anyone know that a particular tune has been listened to by how many people? I totally disagree with this license.
Yes, the radio station pays to play the music. And yes individuals are then allowed to listen to that music in the privacy of their car or home without paying for a licence.

However, places of work then require a separate license to play that music to an audience. This is classed as a "public performance" and, as per the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act you need to get permission from the owner to play the music in public. And that's what the licence is.

Similarly, when you buy a CD you are only buying the rights to play that privately to yourself. If you wish to play that music in a public venue then you also need a licence to do so.

The creators get their cut as part of their yearly royalty payments. Unless they are really lucky and get a massive hit, these royalty payments are not significant.

As per the link that was provided earlier, the licence is maybe around £250 for a year. So, for example, if the radio plays 10 songs an hour, and the radio is on at your place of work for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 45 weeks a year then the cost works out at about 1p per song. That 1p per song will be shared across the writer(s), performer(s), recorder(s) and publisher(s) of the song - and, of course, some will also go to the company collecting the licence fee.

Whether you disagree with paying artists to publicly play their songs or not, it is part of copyright law and therefore legally it should be paid.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:16 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
We think there is sn exemtion for talk shows and classical music! What a ridiculous rule!
It comes down to whether the sound being played is covered by copyright or not. So, older songs (such as some classical music - but not all!) may not be subject to copyright due to the age of the music. Similarly, I suspect talk shows may not be subject to copyright - although I'm no legal expert.

There are other songs and pieces of music that can be played royalty-free and therefore don't require a licence. Some YouTubers tend to use royalty-free music to avoid having to pay a licence.

I guess it all depends on your views of copyright rules and whether people should pay the original creators to play their music or not. Some think it's fair, some think the current rules are too lax, and some think the rules are too restrictive. And some simply don't want to pay for things if they think they can get away it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If you want an amusing book on music copyright then Year Zero by Rob Reid is very good.

Its all about intergalactic lifeforms who have been consuming music radiating off of earth for years suddenly finding out it was all copyrighted and the owe enough to bankrupt the galaxy. They send their lawyer to earth to sort it out. Very amusing novel if someone wants to read it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
It seems unfair when you pay such a ridiculous amount for a BBC licence at home. It should allow you to listen anywhere. I do remember that when I worked for HMRC we were not allowed radios there because of it.
It might be if radio was only broadcast by the BBC but most radio stations aren’t owned by the BBC but are commercial stations.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
It seems unfair when you pay such a ridiculous amount for a BBC licence at home. It should allow you to listen anywhere. I do remember that when I worked for HMRC we were not allowed radios there because of it.
As duchy says, this has nothing to do with the BBC. The public performance licence does not go to the BBC and has nothing to do with them (the BBC themselves will have to pay a fee in order to play these songs). And it applies to pretty much whatever radio station or commercial music is played, whether live or pre-recorded.

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
If you want an amusing book on music copyright then Year Zero by Rob Reid is very good.

Its all about intergalactic lifeforms who have been consuming music radiating off of earth for years suddenly finding out it was all copyrighted and the owe enough to bankrupt the galaxy. They send their lawyer to earth to sort it out. Very amusing novel if someone wants to read it.
Now I realise it's just a price of fiction. But legally speaking I think it is the ones radiating the music that should pay for the licence, not the recipient.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~