Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 26 Dec 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

When something seems too good to be true...

Looking for a villa for August, found one on AirBnB that ticks all our boxes, but it seems markedly cheaper in price than similar ones. Is asking for a 50% deposit up front.

Should alarm bells be ringing? What checks could/should I do to ensure its not a scam?

Thanks in advance
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
When it seems to good to be true it normally is - trust your gut feeling and walk away as there will be plenty of alternatives. 50% deposit seems far too high.

Also have a look at the sticky notes at the top of this section of the forum where tells you checks you can make when renting a private villa. Have you posted a request in the villa section to see if any DIBB owners have availability for your dates as if not might be worth a try.

Edited at 10:12 PM.
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

I too would be very wary.

I always think if something being offered is too cheap then there's a reason why - and not usually in a positive way.

I would stick with a Dibb villa, or one with lots of recommendations on home away (with additional checks too). We are stopping in a villa we stayed in during our last trip. We found it on Home Away, we had emailed the owner several times, checked out as much as we could, but what did it for us was that we only paid $200 deposit and we could pay the rest when we arrived via the management company.

You've worked too hard for your money to take a risk!
Old 26 Dec 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As a villa owner I'd say be very very careful
I spent 4days trying to get AirBnB o take the advert for our villa down
They do ho checks whatsoever
The advertiser wanted 50% deposit they just need the money going in to the account the same name as the advertiser
It wasn't us they had just nicked details and pictures from our web site advertising etc
I only discovered as a AirBnB advertisers magazine was in our mail box
Do every check as advised on the dibb
50% is way to much deposit for my blood
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
owens5558
VIP Dibber

owens5558's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I would also say 50% deposit is too high, ours is 15%.

Penny
owens5558 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

You have been given some great advice, But I think your gut is really telling what you already know, It more than likely is to good to be true.

When booking a villa I always use a DIBB villa I have never been let down and always found them exactly what it says on the tin.

The DIBB villas I have stayed in have been outstanding.
Old 27 Dec 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I agree with the ‘too good to be true ‘ feeling. I’ve passed over on property when I think this is the case before, however I’ve used Airbnb a few times now and I’ve always paid half up front. I do, however, make sure they have a cancellation policy that I am happy with and can work with if needed.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I agree with the ‘too good to be true ‘ feeling. I’ve passed over on property when I think this is the case before, however I’ve used Airbnb a few times now and I’ve always paid half up front. I do, however, make sure they have a cancellation policy that I am happy with and can work with if needed.
Spot on.

Book with a credit card on Airbnb - any issues it's chargeback time.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Susan Coleman
Imagineer

Susan Coleman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Airbnb is a strange outfit..all for the dollars
Expect a high deposit and then a high clean charge...maybe $150 ( which i am told includes a damage waver..it is the way they do it...less involvement with customer)
I would stay away
Relax with drinks on the south facing pool terrace...
All day sun..fabulous lake view...beautiful sunsets...
Disney magic in professionally themed Mickey's room!

http://www.disneyvillaaurora.com
New pool mosaics and lights!
Susan Coleman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
The very fact that you are on here asking about it means that something isn’t sitting right with you. Air B and B do no checks whatsoever regarding the accommodation advertised, as long as the name of the person placing the advert matches the bank account listed they don’t care about whether the Villa is licensed etc.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List