Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

DCL 2022 - what are the chances?

We’re looking at doing a DCL cruise in 2022. There would be one adult and two children, and possibly my DH too if we can persuade him!

Our wish list / must have lists

Must have:
*Fully within school holidays
*DCL

Very high on wish list:
(probably wouldn’t actually book without these)
*Visit Castaway Cay
*5 nights +
*Disney Magic ship (dd is mad about Rapunzel and always has been)
*Easter holidays
*Cost under £4000 - £5000 (excluding flights)

Would like:
*Visit Nassau

I did a dummy booking for Easter 2021 to check prices and see if anything resembling my wish list was available. They had our dream cruise right there! Fully within school Easter holidays 2021, 5 nights on Disney Magic, visiting Castaway Cay and Nassau etc, all for under £3000 for three of us (plus flights).

DH has pointed out that this would be 8 months after our big WDW trip this August, so we should just wait for 2022 to be released. That totally makes sense - it will give me something to look forward to in the autumn when the Disney blues have taken hold, plus we can be ready to book as soon as the dates are released.

But I’d be so disappointed if the same / similar cruise isn’t available for 2022. I could live without Nassau, and I’d be happy if the cruise was longer than 5 nights, but I really don’t think we’d be booking at all if the Magic wasn’t available to travel to Castaway Cay during the Easter holidays. It’s too much money to pay if you’re missing out on something that’s really important to your family.

Is it likely that the Magic will have a similar schedule to 2021, or do they tend to change around which ships are doing each route at each time of year? Should I prepare to be disappointed if it’s totally unpredictable? Or do the ships follow a fairly predictable pattern of routes / dates year after year?
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m no expert, but we had a 4 night cruise on magic from Miami with castaway, key west and Nassau (no sea day) booked for last Easter for £2600 inside cabin but had to cancel when my dad died suddenly 4 days before we were due to leave.
We rebooked for this Easter. There was a 5 night totally in the school hols with same itinerary plus sea day but because we were relatively late booking it was about £4200 for 4 of us in the cheapest cabin and we couldn’t justify the price so we’ve booked a 4 night for just under £3000 inside cabin (dropping key west) but with flight home it falls with a day outside school hols.
It seems common for the magic to do a Miami 4 or 5 nighter in Easter. Only thought would be that they have some new ships coming on line in the next few years so they may reshuffle ships to accommodate them?
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you're likely to be ok but like Geordieprincess says there is a new ship in 2022 which might change things up. I don't think a sail date has been set for that yet so it could be after April.

There will always be 7 nights available from Port Canaveral that should be within your price range if you don't really want a verandah room. You just won't have the tangled theme restaurant.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Thank you, that sounds quite promising. I didn’t know about this new ship, so I’ll have to keep an eye on that. Another thought we had (DH is now on board with the plan!) was to book the perfect cruise for 2021, but with a view to cancelling and rebooking for 2022 if there is a similar cruise available. Then if it doesn’t come up, we’ll just keep the 2021 cruise.

It’s not totally ideal as we’re supposed to be having a quiet holiday year in 2021 to replenish our savings after WDW this year, but we’ve got the money, so it’s doable. Then again, I do agree with DH that 8 months between trips is really too short, so fingers crossed 2022 works out for us.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 05:36 PM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Thank you, that sounds quite promising. I didn’t know about this new ship, so I’ll have to keep an eye on that. Another thought we had (DH is now on board with the plan!) was to book the perfect cruise for 2021, but with a view to cancelling and rebooking for 2022 if there is a similar cruise available. Then if it doesn’t come up, we’ll just keep the 2021 cruise.

It’s not totally ideal as we’re supposed to be having a quiet holiday year in 2021 to our savings after WDW this year, but we’ve got the money, so it’s doable. Then again, I do ag with DH that 8 months between trips is really too short, so fingers crossed 2022 works out for us.
I did actually think about that too as you can cancel or move dates for free up to 75 days before. Would lock in a better price for 2021 than if you waited for 2022 release and it wasn’t what you wanted then tried to book 2021.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
I did actually think about that too as you can cancel or move dates for free up to 75 days before. Would lock in a better price for 2021 than if you waited for 2022 release and it wasn’t what you wanted then tried to book 2021.
That’s what I was thinking. We did look at 2020 cruises today, to see if the Magic followed the same route at Easter in both 2020 and 2021. It was promising to see that it does, but also scary how much higher the 2020 prices are for the same cruise! Would definitely prefer to lock the price in now, rather than wait until October and end up with a higher price to pay for 2021 if 2022 doesn’t work out.
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

p.s. sorry for the typos before I edited my other post! I was trying to delete something but the page froze, and when it reloaded it had randomly deleted the wrong bits! Didn’t spot it until I had already posted it, oops.
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by magickate View Post
I think you're likely to be ok but like Geordieprincess says there is a new ship in 2022 which might change things up. I don't think a sail date has been set for that yet so it could be after April.
January 2022 is inaugural sailing
Old 21 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
January 2022 is inaugural sailing
Oh wow, have they confirmed where it will be sailing? Adding it to my bucket list for sure.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
Oh wow, have they confirmed where it will be sailing? Adding it to my bucket list for sure.
I’ve been googling it and this is the most informative site I’ve seen, although I don’t know how accurate it is.

cruisemapper/ships/Disney-Wish-2127