Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jul 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

I just filled ours in, the only one in our party with social media (we all have WhatsApp but arguably I'd say that's more messaging than media) is our daughter who has tiktok. But there's no box for that so I put none for us all. What I'm thinking is that when your standing in front of the immigration officer, is it going to be obvious to him when you filled it out? ie before the question was made compulsory?
Fortunately my husband and I both work for American companies so that's usually what the officer uses to "chat" about

Edited at 07:25 AM.
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AL1S0N View Post
I just filled ours in, the only one in our party with social media (we all have WhatsApp but arguably I'd say that's more messaging than media) is our daughter who has tiktok. But there's no box for that so I put none for us all. What I'm thinking is that when your standing in front of the immigration officer, is it going to be obvious to him when you filled it out? ie before the question was made compulsory?
Fortunately my husband and I both work for American companies so that's usually what the officer uses to "chat" about
So basically they will ask you at immigration if you have social media?
aprilshack is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
So basically they will ask you at immigration if you have social media?
Probably not, what I mean is the officer scans your esta (which will pop up in front of him when they scan your passport-correct me if I'm wrong anyone) and will sometimes use info on it conversationally
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AL1S0N View Post
Probably not, what I mean is the officer scans your esta (which will pop up in front of him when they scan your passport-correct me if I'm wrong anyone) and will sometimes use info on it conversationally
Entered the States nearly 40 times so about 18 post-ESTA.

I suppose we may have been lucky that in all those times never been asked any direct ESTA questions.

About a dozen times post-ESTA where we are staying? I just say a villa in Davenport. They are happy with that even though they can see the full address from my API. Asked a few times how long we're staying and how much money we have.

Never been asked what we did for a living and certainly never what Joan's dad was called who died in 1966.

Never encountered a rude or threatening IO in my life. Why should they be if your a bona-fide holiday maker? Just be polite and confident and they will be the same. Too much stress going on.

Mick
Old 10 Jul 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rachv38 View Post
What if you have what's app but not Facebook? I know it's owned by them so would it be best to tick yes? Does it ask for account names or only if you have those social media accounts?
Surely WhatsApp is simply a messaging app like iMessage? I guess that 90% of the civilised world have some form of messaging app on their phones. The question does not ask "Do you have Facebook or any other hundred companies that may be owned by them"

So long as anyone's Facebook history doesn't include exchanges on terrorist bomb making techniques I think the ESTA question is being over-thought.

Mick
Old 10 Jul 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Surely WhatsApp is simply a messaging app like iMessage? I guess that 90% of the civilised world have some form of messaging app on their phones. The question does not ask "Do you have Facebook or any other hundred companies that may be owned by them"

So long as anyone's Facebook history doesn't include exchanges on terrorist bomb making techniques I think the ESTA question is being over-thought.

Mick
Possibly but I really wouldn't be surprised if this is entirely a vanity project for Trump. Shared a meme about him on Twitter? You're not coming in.
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Mobile

I have been asked what I do for a living post immigration. A guy in uniform came up to me and asked me the same question the immigration officer did. This was pre ESTA and social media and to this day I have no idea why. Never been in trouble with the police bar speeding a couple of times. Very weird.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SteveyJ View Post
Possibly but I really wouldn't be surprised if this is entirely a vanity project for Trump. Shared a meme about him on Twitter? You're not coming in.
Tourism would rapidly fall in the USA if that were true.
aprilshack is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Entered the States nearly 40 times so about 18 post-ESTA.

I suppose we may have been lucky that in all those times never been asked any direct ESTA questions.

About a dozen times post-ESTA where we are staying? I just say a villa in Davenport. They are happy with that even though they can see the full address from my API. Asked a few times how long we're staying and how much money we have.

Never been asked what we did for a living and certainly never what Joan's dad was called who died in 1966.

Never encountered a rude or threatening IO in my life. Why should they be if your a bona-fide holiday maker? Just be polite and confident and they will be the same. Too much stress going on.

Mick
I agree never met a grumpy IO in any of the airports which we have entered in the US and that includes both JFK and Newark ,New York being the only place I have found rude Americans. Normally I get asked about my former occupation as a police officer.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by tapley View Post
I agree never met a grumpy IO in any of the airports which we have entered in the US and that includes both JFK and Newark ,New York being the only place I have found rude Americans. Normally I get asked about my former occupation as a police officer.
As a retired Quantity Surveyor I guess they don't have much to chat to me about

Mick