Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Upset with Dundee university

Just need a bit of a rant! My daughter is hopefully going to Dundee university after summer. She put a request in for accommodation and had an email to allocate her a room. The confirmation arrived on 19th of May and because she hasn’t paid the deposit she had the offer withdrawn today! I can’t believe how little time they gave her to pay the deposit. She is right in the middle of exams and thought she had until the 25th June. My DH is going to contact the university tomorrow. I just think less than 2 weeks is too short particularly as the kids are stressed with exams😟
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Good luck with the call.
Did your daughter just misread the due date ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
When DD went to uni we found things moved very quickly. You just have to stay on top,of the dates. We used a planner on the wall. It's not just Dundee, most universities work to short deadlines I'm afraid.

Edited at 10:05 PM. Reason: Typo
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Good luck with the call.
Did your daughter just misread the due date ?
I think so but because the offer has been withdrawn I can’t find the date now. It wasn’t on any of the emails just on the website. It just doesn’t seem very long between the offer being sent and then being withdrawn, it’s less than 2 weeks!
Old 31 May 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
When DD went to uni we found things moved very quickly. You just have to stay on top,of the dates. We used a planner on the wall. It's not just Dundee, most universities work to short deadlines I'm afraid.
I should have got her to forward all emails to me. I can’t remember Aberdeen being that quick. It’s been less than 2 weeks.
Old 31 May 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
She might be out of luck, if the offer has been withdrawn the accommodation as probably already been offered to someone else on the waiting list.

I made sure DS and DD forward or tell me about any uni emails about accommodation or payments.

I hope you manage to sort something out

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My son wasn’t even able to apply for accommodation at his Uni choice before most of it had been allocated because they had a system of apply as soon as a conditional place is offered. His course interviewed after all other courses had made offers. Also a terrible system. He got a roomhe wouldn’t have chosen eventually. We moved him out of it today and are 2k better off than we might have been. So every cloud... On a practical note. If your daughter wasn’t given correct info complain. If she was and didn’t respond as required. Life lesson. Good luck.
Old 1 Jun 18, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by boo2 View Post
Just need a bit of a rant! My daughter is hopefully going to Dundee university after summer. She put a request in for accommodation and had an email to allocate her a room. The confirmation arrived on 19th of May and because she hasn’t paid the deposit she had the offer withdrawn today! I can’t believe how little time they gave her to pay the deposit. She is right in the middle of exams and thought she had until the 25th June. My DH is going to contact the university tomorrow. I just think less than 2 weeks is too short particularly as the kids are stressed with exams😟
A great life’s lesson on how to be an adult which she is going to have to become very quickly. She (and you) May think it’s to short a time but the university set the time line and you have to respond to it.

Hope you sort it out but remember this is not the unis fault it’s your daughters. Stop being a protective parent!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD uses a paper diary to keep track of all dates/info etc. Life moves fast in Uni with deadlines.
She needs to contact the Uni herself as she is the adult & they will usually give very little info to parents.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Taste of things to come, universities are very unforgiving if you miss cut off dates for anything without getting exemptions in advance .
I do agree your rant is misplaced though and it's your daughter's fault rather than the universtity's. There's little time left and lots of students waiting after all ! (Who are all also doing exams , not just your daughter !)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List