Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 1 Aug 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile Nervous about Water parks

We have been to Disney numerous times over the last 7 years bur always avoided the water parks as I'm a little scared of water and can't swim - which I know to most people will sound crazy.
This year my DH and 6 year old want to go. So we will do hopefully just one water park maybe both...

How did you find the safety on the rides?

I'm really anxious about going. I know its Disney so heath and safety is a priorty.
Any rides that children should avoid even if tall enough.
I'm really worried abut losing DS too. I don't worry in the main parks as he is always with me but just thining about going down slides separately.

Any tips or help to try to reassure me a little in my water panicking state.
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
beanbunny
Apprentice Imagineer

I can just about swim but am very nervous in water and do not like putting my face under the water. I still really enjoy the lazy river and I went on teamboat springs, I think it is called at typhoon lagoon. You get in a big rubber ring thing with your family and go down a slide. It is easy to get in at the top and at the bottom you can still stand up in the water when you get out and there is a lifeguard also. I didn't brave anything else but everyone else in my party had a great day. I also enjoyed the chairlift ride to the top and of course the food! Hope you have a great time, you could also use it to rest and read a book whilst the others to off to swim!
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
lmartin
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by beanbunny View Post
...I went on teamboat springs, I think it is called at typhoon lagoon. You get in a big rubber ring thing with your family and go down a slide. It is easy to get in at the top and at the bottom you can still stand up in the water when you get out and there is a lifeguard also. I didn't brave anything else but everyone else in my party had a great day. I also enjoyed the chairlift ride to the top and of course the food!
Teamboat springs and the chair lift are at Blizzard Beach... but the principle remains. There is plenty to do at the water parks for those nervous in water, because they're geared to families. What I would do is watch some Youtube videos of the parks to get familiar with them before you go. Of the 2, I'd say Blizzard Beach is probably the better option... if nervous, definitely avoid the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon while the waves are on.

lmartin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post

The water parks are lovely and relaxing, even if you are a non swimmer.

If open I would go to typhoon lagoon. Base yourself near ketchakiddee creek. There are a few palapas there that provide shade. Your ds will be able to play there happily on his own and you can watch him. There are a number of family rides just nearby that you could all go on. Most of the pools at the bottom of these is easy to stand up in.
There is also the lagoon itself. You could go by the edge of the lagoon (knee high) and play in the waves whilst your DH/DS went a little further out.

If you ask at guest services they may be able to assist. I had something else n my mind about non swimmers being given a wristband so that they can be easily identified (but this may be for a different waterpark).

It is a lovely day out and wander, your DH will be able to keep an eye on your ds on some of the twin rides and racer rides. He simply cannot get on anything too big for him as the CMS will not let him. Go, enjoy. Report back !

Edited at 10:49 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m a rubbish swimmer ,in TL dh and the kids go in the big waves and and I sit in the shallow water at the front. I go in the lazy river while they go on water slides, I love it lovely and relaxing xx
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Wouldn’t worry about losing child cos you can make sure they are watched. If it was a ride where they had to go on own then hubby would go first then kids then me. So that I could put them on at top and he can catch them at bottom.

We did the toboggans but our 3yr old was too small really for it so didn’t repeat that but she liked it was just too light to go very far and got stuck.
We did team boat springs three times loved that.

With the fear of water I’m not sure how I can help with that. I can swim ok so I’ve never really thought of it but I did find that most things you could stand up in like the lazy river and the rides where you get out.

I think the key is to not over worry. I have this issue where I make everything 10x worse in my head than what it actually turns out to be and panic. Now I’ve done it once I won’t worry but I know it’s harder done than said.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a look on you tube at the rides, particularly when they get off. It will give you an idea of how deep the water is. I can' t speak for Florida but we recently went to Siam Park in Tenerife and I don't think anything was above waist height when you got off so not swimming wasn't an issue.
shona is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Spend the day in the lazy river, or the shallow part of the pools. Plenty of places for non swimmers or people unsure about them.
The lazy river is shallow and I could spend a very long time going round and round and never get bored. The other bonus is if family go off and do rides, then they can easily find you in minutes by walking the opposite way to the flow.
As for rides, you can have a stroll and look at them, or check youtube as someone will have a video of the whole thing. Some have deep pools at the end, some dont.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
I'd definitely recommend Typhoon Lagoon - the theming there is excellent and because it is a bit older I think a lot of the rides are a bit tamer than the Blizzard Beach. If your DS is under the height requirement for Ketchakiddee creek (mine was at 6) then definitely base yourself near there. We went with a friend whose son was a little taller and did get told off at one point by a CM that he was too tall for the slides in Ketchakiddee Creek.

I too was also a little nervous at first going down the slides with my two (aged 6 and 4). As others have said, send your DH down first, child second and you last. The CM's were fine watching the children at the top (plus they have walkie talkies to connect to CM's at the bottom of the slides) and were also fine letting me wait at the bottom of the slides to catch the children.

The lazy river is great and very tame although it can get busy at entrance and exit points.

Finally, like with all Disney pools there are free life jacket vests for children and adults and loads of people wear them, not just small children.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MissRed
Excited about Disney

My husband can't swim and he ended up loving the water parks!
He is 6ft 2 though, so that means the water levels are all quite shallow on him.
I would go and see what you're comfortable with! If you don't go, you'll never know, and in a worst case you can have a chilled time on the sunbeds with a book and a beverage! Life could be worse
YC '08
AKL '18
MissRed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List