Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Dec 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Where to stay on Gulf Coast

Hi apologies if this has been done to death, I've seen similar threads but read a variety of answers to the query and am hoping for some fresh inspiration...

We’ve booked flights to/from Tampa for Oct 17-31 2020 and are planning to do a week on the gulf coast in a Villa, then 2-3 days at Universal and 3-4 days on the Atlantic Coast (my husband wants to see Daytona).

We’ve been to Florida twice before, the first time 15 yrs ago doing Orlando/Miami/Keys and last time in 2018 with the kids doing just Disney/Orlando. We don’t plan to do Disney this time and I fancy seeing the Gulf Coast so am hoping to get recommendations for somewhere to stay that would be a good base for visiting various towns and sights in that area.

There’ll be four of us, kids are aged 8 and 12. Hoping for somewhere near the beach pref not a city as I’d rather to stay in a smaller resort but with some restaurants and shops nearby. We’ll be happy to drive for days out, so I guess we need to be somewhere that’s not too far out on a limb, ie easy to get to other places. And within a couple of hours of Tampa airport, pref less. I’ve done some research but if anyone can recommend somewhere, either a town/area or specific accommodation, I’d be grateful.

Budget isn’t that high I’m afraid - hoping to rent somewhere with a pool for under £1k for the week if poss (I've seen a nice looking Dibb
villa for less than that, but unfortunately it's booked for the dates we want, but it gives me hope that something might be avail in that price range). We easily managed that in Orlando but I see prices are (understandably) higher in this area. Condos are obv cheaper but I’d prefer a house with a private pool if poss.

I’ll also be looking for ideas for where to stay in the Daytona area, but might tackle that once I’ve sorted this one!

Many thanks
Notname is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Hank
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
There are 2 villas here on DIBB on the Gulf Coast which are located in Rotonda West, which is situated between Sarasota and Fort Myers, ideally placed to explore the this area.

Both villas have been visited by Dibbers some of whom return year after year.

It is about 1 and about half hours from Tampa and if you look at the Dibb guidebook you will find plenty of information about Rotonda West and the great beaches nearby.

Hank

Edited at 02:38 PM.
Hank is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Thank you, I’ll look at the guidebook you linked to 😊 Your villa looks lovely and a good price, poss a bit too big for us though and I was hoping for something near the beach if poss tho I know that will bump the price up! I’ve also looked at the other Dibb villa and that’s booked for the dates we need.
Old 16 Dec 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

We are staying in Anna Maria Island next year for 5 days and looking forward to it. There are a lot of different size villas available albeit more expensive than Orlando but you may find something.
Old 16 Dec 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

I recommend Treasure Island and this house is lovely. Walking distance to beach and on the waterway
homeaway/vacation-re...2&noDates=true

homeaway/vacation-re..._source=aff_cj
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Thanks both. The house at treasure island looks lovely but isn’t avail for our dates. I’ve been looked at AMI and seen a great looking place at Holmes Beach which seems to fit the bill 😊
Old 16 Dec 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

We stayed at South Beach Condos on Treasure Island in September. They have 1 and 2 bedroom condos, all with beach front view. We just had a one bedroom as there was only the two of us, plenty of space so I expect the two bedroom would be a good size for a family of four. Right on the beach, close to restaurants and a Publix supermarket. Johns Pass just a few minutes drive away with restaurants, shopping and boat trips. Would highly recommend. Currently pricing up at just under £1000 per week in October on Expedia

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

Think you might manage somewhere on AMI for your budget, plus it's a lot closer to TPA . We have rented from annamaria.com for the last 3 years , villa with private pool near the beach and a Publix , lol !
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Susan Coleman
Imagineer

Susan Coleman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes there is a Publix on AMI
we go every year and the range of eateries. laid back atmosphere, quartz crystal white soft sand and beautiful turquoise shallow waters make it all must...sunsets are amazing as the coast faces west
we always take a west facing beachside condo...you do not really need a pool the kids will love the beach and I sit on the balcony and watch the pelicans , dolphins with a coffee in the morning and a wine for the sunset early evening

Perfect for tampa
annamariaaccommodations should be able to find you something
Relax with drinks on the south facing pool terrace...
All day sun..fabulous lake view...beautiful sunsets...
Disney magic in professionally themed Mickey's room!

http://www.disneyvillaaurora.com
New pool mosaics and lights!
Susan Coleman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Thanks all for the advice. Think we’re going to go for somewhere on AMI. I was looking at Sanibel/Captiva and Siesta Key too, but AMI seems like the best option and is a shorter drive from the airport too.

If anyone is able to recommend which area to stay in that would be great, or is it all good? I was hoping to be within walking distance of a few shops and restaurants if possible. Does they mean staying near holmes beach, or will we find grocery shops dotted round the island (I know there’s only the publix supermarket, but somewhere to buy bread and milk would be handy, tho not essential). I guess we could use the trolley for going further afield to restaurants 😊

I don’t think we’ll get anything with a private pool for under £1k but am coming round to the idea of a shared pool. Doesn’t bother me that much having a pool, but it’s top priority for the kids as they loved having one when we stayed in Orlando.

I guess if we could find somewhere right on the beach we could do without the pool but not sure that’ll be in our price range either!

Thanks
Sarah