Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 1 Aug 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile X box and internet problems please help

My son has an x box. He plays games on it, watches you tube & Netflix through it.
Unfortunately the room it is on the furthest away from out internet and he is constantly complaining that it is lagging.
We bought a wifi booster which is useless. We have virgin broadband which is supposed to be good and we are in a 12 month contract so can not change yet anyway.

My husband and I are total tech novices and my son (autistic) is becoming obsessed and extremely upset about it.
Can anyone please help and give advice? In simple terms please
Thank you
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

You could try running Ethernet cable from the router to the Xbox? It would be much better than using the wifi. Although you would need a long cable, unless you could get a second router.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
You could try running Ethernet cable from the router to the Xbox? It would be much better than using the wifi. Although you would need a long cable, unless you could get a second router.
I don’t think we could get or want a cable that long. The room as actually furthest away from the router than any other room, but only room for the x box.
Can you have another router? We currently pay £35 for this fast broadband, of we have another router does that mean we pay another £35 per month?
Thank you
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I don’t think we could get or want a cable that long. The room as actually furthest away from the router than any other room, but only room for the x box.
Can you have another router? We currently pay £35 for this fast broadband, of we have another router does that mean we pay another £35 per month?
Thank you
You can run them under the carpet, they do flat ones, but it does sound like a long way from what you’ve said.

Yes you can have another router. You wouldn’t pay extra for it as such, but you would have to buy an extra router.

This second router connects to your main router, although it is a little technical to set up. My other half did ours, but he works in IT. Do you know anyone who works in IT or anyone technical who could help you?
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Get powerline adapters.

Something like amazon/TP-Link-TL-.../dp/B07J652QRY

Allows you physically plug in the Xbox to the router and also not lose a socket at the same time. Removes any WiFi issues for that device.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
You can run them under the carpet, they do flat ones, but it does sound like a long way from what you’ve said.

Yes you can have another router. You wouldn’t pay extra for it as such, but you would have to buy an extra router.

This second router connects to your main router, although it is a little technical to set up. My other half did ours, but he works in IT. Do you know anyone who works in IT or anyone technical who could help you?
No, unfortunately all our friends are as about as technical as we are which is zero 😂
We would be happy to pay for it to be fitted though. But who would be get? An electrician?
We do not even know where to start 🙈🙈
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

On the powerline adapter you use a supplied ethernet cable to plug into your router and the one into the Xbox.

Very simple to set up

Edited at 12:37 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Virgin do an app that checks your connectivity, and will supply you with a free booster if you have no wifi signal in certain rooms. It did improve my signal in my extension study room, as I was picking up next door with a better signal than my own!

virginmedia/shop/vir...ia-connect-app

We ended up moving our PS4 downstairs and connecting with an ethernet cable though.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi there is a simple way to use something like this one plugs in near the router use a internet lead to connect the router to the plug put the other one in your sons room then connect another internet lead from the plug to your sons x box he will have wired internet in his bedroom. Hope this helps

currys/gbuk/comput... gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited at 12:58 PM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossyhub
Helping Minnie

I agree with the other suggestions that Powerline adapters are a good bet. I use them throughout my house as wif-fi will just not pass through any of the thick walls. They work by sending a 'wired connection' through your house instead of a wireless one.

You plug an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports on the back of your router and the other end into the ethernet port on one of the powerline adapters. You then plug this powerline connector into any wall socket. It sends the internet signal into your mains and this can be picked up by plugging the other powerline connector into any other plug socket in your house. Your house wiring is the bridge and acts as if it is just one long ethernet cable. You plug an ethernet cable into the second powerline adapter and then the other end plugs into the ethernet port on the X-Box, thereby giving it wired and reliable internet. It is best to use direct power sockets on the wall rather than 4 or 6 gang adapters etc.

In fact, you can buy powerline adapters that have an ethernet socket to give you wired ethernet AND also radiate out that signal as wi-fi. This means that you get really good wired internet and a really good wifi signal in this particular room for those devices lacking ethernet ports.

Hope this explanation helps.

Edited at 02:33 PM.
mossyflossyhub is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List