Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Oct 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
FLA88
Proud to wear my Ears

In case you don't already know this. Just wanted to mention, if you do use peanut butter to make sure it's a dog friendly one. Some contain xylitol which is extremely poisonous to dogs.
FLA88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by FLA88 View Post
In case you don't already know this. Just wanted to mention, if you do use peanut butter to make sure it's a dog friendly one. Some contain xylitol which is extremely poisonous to dogs.
Sometimes listed as sugar alcohol
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Thanks for all your replies. We do use a kong etc and leave the tv on too. She gets lots of treats in the crate and will happily go in there when we're here and is fine overnight but cries as soon as we leave. I think she thinks she's missing out on something! Our downstairs is one big open plan space so if we don't crate her she has the run of downstairs. Last time we did this she was trying to rip up the cushions on the sofa... Something she's never usually interested in! It's a rented property so we are a bit worried she might chew the kitchen etc. Maybe we will look into getting a different pen that she can't jump out of. I don't think the crate is the issue though I think it's purely the separation anxiety which I know cockapoos are known for suffering badly with!

Second injections tomorrow so will soon be able to take her for short walks to tire her out a bit!
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

We would also put our dog in his crate ( Husky x GSD) at different times during the day, not only when we were going out.
Usually if we were sitting down to eat or if we needed to have the front door open etc. We started to do this after him chewing through a laptop cable in the first few days we had him whilst we were eating dinner.
He then didn’t always associate us putting him in the crate when we were going out/ leaving him.
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
You say she sleeps until 6.30. What time do you then leave her to take your partner to work. If it’s early morning, she may just be upset as she’s been on her own all night, has your attention for a brief period and then she’s left again? If this is the case, I would be inclined to take her in the car with you and maybe later in the day try her in the crate for a short period so she becomes used to it.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I crated my cockapoo briefly - red fur baby like yours
I had a few blankets with mums smell on and the doggy with the ticking heart. He loved that so much
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
You say she sleeps until 6.30. What time do you then leave her to take your partner to work. If it’s early morning, she may just be upset as she’s been on her own all night, has your attention for a brief period and then she’s left again? If this is the case, I would be inclined to take her in the car with you and maybe later in the day try her in the crate for a short period so she becomes used to it.
Thank you, we hadn't even thought of doing this for some reason but what a great idea! We are going to try this now
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
Thank you, we hadn't even thought of doing this for some reason but what a great idea! We are going to try this now
I definitely reccomend taking her in the car as much as you can while she is young. Ours can spend 3 hours lying in the car without complaint and will happily jump in anytime. We don't even have to bribe her with a treat.
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I definitely reccomend taking her in the car as much as you can while she is young. Ours can spend 3 hours lying in the car without complaint and will happily jump in anytime. We don't even have to bribe her with a treat.
She loves the car now as we've done probably at least an hour in the car everyday since bringing her home. I think that's a bit of the problem with staying at home - she wants to come in the car She was fine at home until she started liking the car lol. They aren't daft are they!

We can go out walking from the mid/end next week so looking forward to getting her out. Should tire her out. Though I tried putting the lead on her for walking round the garden today and she hated it
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Lell View Post
Mornings are hard, my lad used to sleep like the dead until dawn from about 7pm (still does) and then wake up with the light needing a wee absolutely full of beans. DH leaves for work at 6.30am and I needed to leave at 8.
So I had 90 mins to walk him (when I couldn’t really walk him far) and play with him and try to tire him out before I left.
He never ever minded being left for a bit in the evenings as he was always sleepy, but was never thrilled on a morning.
I would often take him for short trips in the car too though, get him used to it