Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Feb 16, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubba31
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile Do I need to declare chocolate?

Got a bit of a sweet tooth but not keen on American chocolate I like to take supplies with me, Mars bars, double deckers, twix etc. Do i need to declare these items on arrival?
Highgate Park, HRH, Loews Miami Beach & Key West 2016, Calabay Parc at Tower Lake & Bahamas Cruise 2013, Highgate Park 2011, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba 2010, Highlands Reserve 2009, 3 Weeks At Westridge / Country Creek 2008, Sunset Ridge 2007, Westridge 2006
Bubba31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Yes. The customs form states that you need to declare food
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Yes. The customs form states that you need to declare food
As per hornetgirl it should be declared but it is permitted.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
beaky2808
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Didn't know this, I've never declared it and been to the states 5 times! I thought it was only fresh food. Thought chocolate, crisps, sweets etc were absolutely fine!
beaky2808 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

The form specifically mentions food. Not just allowed food, any food. Possible fine of up to $10,000 for failure to declare (not that I think they would for chocolate, but I've seen them give people a good telling off before)

Edited at 06:20 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

We declared it , the TSA guy asked what and as soon as we said candy and chips he stamped the card and let us on our way.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

When I went solo I ticked no, as I didn't have any food. The customs guy asked me "What, not even any chocolate?"
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by beaky2808 View Post
Didn't know this, I've never declared it and been to the states 5 times! I thought it was only fresh food. Thought chocolate, crisps, sweets etc were absolutely fine!
Those items are absolutely fine (as in; perfectly OK to take into the USA) but they should still be declared on the customs form.

It's a simple Yes/No question on the form. It's not a trick question and you are not expected to know what is or isn't allowed you are just expected to answer honestly. It is then up to the Customs officials to make the decision...as previously stated, usually just a nod and you are waved through.

I always have a supply of teabags and sweetex
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
blondie28143
Very Serious Dibber

I don't often do it but I did when I got married over there. I Declared yes and I was asked what I had. I Said chocolate and the customs officer very seriously asked me why I hadn't brought any over for him. Then he smiled. 😂😂
Do they not know what a sweat it is getting through customs when you have nothing to hide. Why do you always feel so guilty! 😂 I laughed, my to be husband laughed through relief and nerves. 😂😂😂
Tempted to take some next time for whoever we see but would probably be seen as a bribe! 😛

blondie28143 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
im taking easter eggs galore in so thatll be a yes
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread