Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 20 Sep 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Have I Knackered My Laptop?

Hi Everyone

I’m hoping for some info / reassurances / miracle here!

I flew out to the US a couple of days ago for my holidays, and as always, brought my ASUS laptop. It’s only a couple of years old, and it’s not used heavily so has always still been in a nearly new condition.

I’ve come to switch it on last night to start backing up photos, and do some bits of admin, and I seem to be stuck in some kind of loop with it.

It powers up, but the screen either stays black, or comes up with the Aptio Setup Utility screen. Nothing I do can get it to just power up.

I’m not the most technically savvy person, but I’m really hoping it’s not gone to laptop heaven, as I need to use it for stuff whilst I’m away, it has my life stored on it, and I can’t afford to replace it.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to get it going again at all please? I’m away until mid October, and the only other technology I have is my camera and iPhone 6s so could really do with it.

Thanks in Advance

Gill
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I know this may be a really simple question but do you have it plugged into its charger? May just be running out of battery so is going into battery saver mode.

Does it give you the option on the system utility screen to do a reset / restart?
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
I know this may be a really simple question but do you have it plugged into its charger? May just be running out of battery so is going into battery saver mode.

Does it give you the option on the system utility screen to do a reset / restart?
Hi Lovely

Yes, I’ve charged it overnight (well from about 9pm to 3am when I flipping woke up) but it’s still the same
Where would I see the option for a restart? There are a few tabs (I’ll attach a pic) I’m not technically minded though so I could well be missing something!
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Hmmm, sounds like the hard disk may be having issues.

Can you give a bit more of a description?

maybe have a read of windowsreport/fix-aptio-setup-utility/

Edited at 12:27 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Might wouldn't start recently and through an internet search had to do some complicated button holding (sound up and down, then hold on/off for twenty seconds, then restart by holding on/off and sound up) this was a on a Surface pro 4 but they might all have a different restart way.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sometimes on the screen there's an F key prompt to break the booting cycle, it can flash past quickly sometimes (is it F2 sometimes?) Google any text you see on the screen or error messages if there are any
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The Aptio Setup Utility screen is essentially the Asus BIOS which is what you would get to by pressing the F2 key, so no need for that.

You need to identify why the utility screen is being triggered instead of booting. This is often due to a failed hard disk or corrupted operating system stopping it from being able to boot.

OP, have you got a recent backup of the content of the device?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Sorry guys, between the time difference and being out whale watching yesterday I’ve not had chance to add anything on here.
I’ll try and attach a screenshot below, I’ve tried earlier but it wouldn’t attach for no reason.
Tried to switch it back on today but it’s straight to the blue screen again.

Nope, nothing’s backed up. I stupidly thought it would be OK with being in such a good condition!
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Screengrab
Gill635 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaja
Earning More Ears

Hi,

On the blue screen is there any error message or anything, what version of Windows were you running? Chances are any data is still there on the hard drive, it may just be Windows which has messed up. Annoying, but any decent computer shop (I wouldn’t bother with PC World) should be able to recover the data and reinstall windows fairly cheaply.
Gaja is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List