Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 Mar 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

collybird vs Deluxe Dining Plan [a Fall 2017 Report] - COMPLETE

Better late than never!

Please excuse my tardiness, when we left for our trip last September I had the best of intentions regarding writing a dining report, but I have had those every trip, and every year something has conspired against me, forgetting to capture photographs, breaking my phone, the cat ate my notes etc... 2017 was different, I remembered to take pictures, and I took notes of every meal in my cute little 101 Dalmatians Cat Kidston notebook, things were looking promising.

Then I got home, I started writing, but three weeks later we completed on the purchase of our first house. I had to grow up, and I didn't like it, it meant not a lot of time for Dibbing. Then in January I moved workplace (same job, different location), this has been (and continues to be) challenging to say the least.

For months, my notebook lay sat next to my bed taunting me, reminding me that I was a failure, so I moved it to a drawer I found it last week when I was searching for a pen, and thought 'I've started, so I'll finish...' So here we are, my very first dining report.

I hope my musings, however outdated, are helpful to some of you. Thank you for reading, I am so nervous, please be gentle!

THE CAST
I’m Colette, and my boyfriend is Nik. Last year we completed our sixth trip to Disney World. Food plays a huge part in our trips, other than travel day, ADR day is my most anticipated day of the year! I love reading about Disney food, looking at food pictures, planning and tinkering with our dining line up. It’s a goal of mine to eventually eat at every onsite restaurant, unfortunately, I don’t think I’m ever going to be able to talk Nik into a jacket at Victoria & Albert’s.

DxDP – REALLY?
We have stayed on site for five visits now, each time we’ve had the regular Disney Dining Plan but have always booked extra table service meals and paid out of pocket for them. We enjoy table service breakfasts, evenings outs at Signatures, prefer Appetizers to Desserts and I’m keen to eventually see all of the dinner shows. As far back as our first on-site trip in 2013 I have wanted to try out the Deluxe Dining Plan. Whenever the pros and cons of the DxDP are discussed on the Dibb the consensus is the same, it’s too expensive, too much food, and too time consuming, I wholeheartedly agree, but I still wanted to try it out for myself just once.

In the past, the dollar rate being in our favour has always meant that it didn’t make financial sense to make the pricey upgrade to DxDP, but with the pound struggling I decided to throw caution to the wind and upgrade. The cost was an eyewatering £1,024, which at the time of upgrading would have given me $1,310.64 if I had used that money to top up my currency card instead.

We left the UK with 39 ADRs in place, how many did we cancel?! Did we break even?! Did we manage to use all our credits?! Who won the battle of the DxDP plan?! All will be revealed.

I used my phone for pictures, so unfortunately quality isn’t the best

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Pre-Travel Day - KFC
Travel Day - Frankie & Benny’s, Thomas Cook In-Flight Meals, Planet Hollywood
Day 1 – Chef Mickey’s, Hollywood & Vine, Olivia’s
Day 2 – Boma, Rainforest Café, Trail’s End
Day 3 – Tomorrowland Terrace, ‘Ohana
Day 4 – McDonalds, Early Morning Magic Breakfast, Be Our Guest, The Boathouse
Day 5 – Trattoria al Forno, Chefs de France, Narcoossee’s
Day 6 – Cinderella’s Royal Terrace, Captain Cook’s, Boma, Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
Day 7 – Garden Grill, Captain’s Grille, Pecos Bill, Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party
Day 8 – Café Rix, Whispering Canyon Café, Citricos
Day 9 – Tusker House, Paradiso 37, Jiko
Day 10 – The Mara, Grand Floridian Café, Tiffins
Day 11 – Crystal Palace, Las Ventanas, Tusker House
Day 12 – Rose & Crown, Hoop-De-Doo Revue
Day 13 – Coral Reef, Spice Road Table
Day 14 – Tokyo Dining, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Day 15 – Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’, The Diamond Horseshoe, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe
Day 16 – Paddlefish
Conclusion

Edited at 12:33 PM.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List