Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Mar 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Shopperholic
Trainee Dibber

Small gestures help

Received an email from Sainsbury's today outlining a few changes. But i was impressed by the final paragraph thanking their colleagues who are working flat out in difficult circumstances. With the add on that " if you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, i know they would hugely appreciate it.

So going forward i am going to forget my normal British Reserve and try and give a genuine smile and a big thank you to any supermarket staff i see, the postman, the dustman and any other worker i see.

I will also wish everyone a good morning/afternoon i see, from a suitable distance.

What other tiny things do you all think we can do.
Shopperholic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
I agree.

I've made more of a point of saying "Thank you and look after yourself" or similar to people serving in shops. Kindness begets kindness, and we could all do with more of it right now.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

I work in a pharmacy within a supermarket. I can honestly say that a lot of staff have found it hard to keep going this week. There is a lot of pressure in everyone , but sometimes the way we have been spoken to and treated has been appalling.

Any words of kindness you give out to people will be so warmly appreciated-it does make a difference. I popped into a small corner store yesterday, I normally just run in and out quickly, but yesterday I made a point of speaking to the cashier.
Old 19 Mar 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

As I have said in other posts I work for Age UK. Our phones are swamped with frightened and desperate older people or relatives asking/demanding help. It really is appreciated when we get a thank you!
Old 19 Mar 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I work in primary care. I've been taking hundreds of calls from people with various questions. I've made a point of telling everyone to look after themselves. Lots of people have said the same back. A little bit of kindness goes a lot way.x
Old 19 Mar 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

I agree with whlparkstone. I was in my local tescos 2 days ago getting in supplies. DH and i were laughing and having a bit of banter with the cashier and she was telling us of the verbal abuse and nasty people they have had to put up with. Particularly from people filling their trolleys with items that are clearly marked 'Max 5 per customer'. She had to get the manager and security just before us for a man who insisted he was taking 50+ of one item and when he was told he could only take 5, he started creating such a scene and hurling obscenities at the cashier.
Totally uncalled for. we are all in the same boat and a smile and a laugh
(even is it's forced) costs nothing. So the lady thanked us for the jokes and the laughter and said we had been a pleasant break from her otherwise awful day.
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Mental Minnie View Post
I agree with whlparkstone. I was in my local tescos 2 days ago getting in supplies. DH and i were laughing and having a bit of banter with the cashier and she was telling us of the verbal abuse and nasty people they have had to put up with. Particularly from people filling their trolleys with items that are clearly marked 'Max 5 per customer'. She had to get the manager and security just before us for a man who insisted he was taking 50+ of one item and when he was told he could only take 5, he started creating such a scene and hurling obscenities at the cashier.
Totally uncalled for. we are all in the same boat and a smile and a laugh
(even is it's forced) costs nothing. So the lady thanked us for the jokes and the laughter and said we had been a pleasant break from her otherwise awful day.

Myself and DS witnessed along the same lines in Aldi yesterday The woman in front and her son were trying to buy 30 packets of super noodles. The cashier said they could have 4 and that was it.
The woman said that these were for an old lady she looked after and her son. The cashier said no more than 4 items and it was clearly signposted all over the store so no reason to continue to try to buy more than we are allowed. The woman and her son went mental screaming abuse at the cashier and the supervisor who came over to see what was going on.

A security guard came and removed them, how embarrassing to be removed from a shop with behaviour like that.

I felt awful for the staff and told them they deserve a medal! Bless em.

So to anyone having to serve the public THANK YOU, you are all doing an amazing job in very difficult and challenging times no matter what job it is you are doing.

Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It seems to me customer’s fall into two distinct groups, those who understand staff are working under difficult circumstances , that longer queues , shortages etc are a side effect of that ... and those really can’t understand why there is a wait or not a “full service”... even when it is courteously explained to them.

I really can’t decide if it’s a selfish attitude or there’s a significant sector of the population still in denial.

I just kill them with kindness which appears to annoy them even more

Those who thank staff for their efforts and are NICE really do make a real difference to working under what can be very difficult and dispiriting circumstances at times .
Thank you to every person who is a pleasure to help x

Edited at 11:48 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My DD has been in the care of her doctor for a few weeks for a mental health issue. My dd is too emotional to communicate with the surgery atm so I’ve been the middle man helping her get the care she needs. I have been so delighted with the care she has received from booking an appointment to prescriptions... yesterday I popped to pound land and bought a few quids worth of biscuits and brought them to the staff to say thank you for you ongoing hard work and commitment... maybe a cuppa and a biscuit during the day might help them a to get through the stress if the days ahead.

I know it’s just them doing their job, but they are doing a great job and it’s good to spread a bit of kindness.. 😊
They were delighted...
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I was shopping in Tesco today just a few items, they had a offer on heroes chocolates £2 for a box so I brought one and took it to the customer care desk and gave it to the woman behind the counter just so she and her colleagues might have a slightly better day.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List